10 Years On

Toxteth O'Grady

The responsibility for the administration debacle, like any other company, starts and stops at the top. Boyle hired Nevin, and Boyle should have been diligent with his oversight.

Thankfully, he learned from his mistakes, but JB was the man at fault.

so goodwin shouldn't take any blame for RBS?

so goodwin shouldn't take any blame for RBS?

You are making my point for me now.

As CEO. Goodwin was legally responsible for the corporate governance of his bank (which is one of the requirements when he signs off on the financial statements). So he held a a position equivalent to Boyle's.

Nevin, while in an executive position, reported to Boyle which means that Boyle needed to provide appropriate corporate governance (including supervision of Nevin).

nevin and goodwin were both employed as chief executive.

And that's where your analogy either fails or highlights your inability to understand established corporate infrastructure and governance! You are also trying to make a comparison between the management and governance of a small provincial football club that turns over a few million at most and a global financial institution that manages assets of almost 2 trillion pounds! In those two extremes the term CEO is ever so slightly different..........

But staying with you for a minute, who is the John Boyle equivalent in your analogy so the comparison is complete?

Or basically - what weeyin said as well!

No analogies are necessary really. Nevin had a budget. It was set by Boyle (his boss). He stayed within that budget over his time at the club. When Boyle decided to take the club into administration, Nevin resigned as staff would be losing their jobs and it would have been wrong for him to stay on as a top earner.

Admin was boyles fault and boyles alone, the anti-Nevin stuff is junk, has been for ten years. Worst of it is he's clearly a decent guy, he played well for us, and he's one of the few Scottish journalists whose career is not based on harping on about the OF.

Boyle isn't really the type to come out publicly and take full responsibility for his errors, he probably should have by now. But what he has done for the club over the past ten years makes up for it in my view. He, unlike Nevin, had the option of sticking around and fixing the mess (cause he's loaded) - and he did that.

• Like 1

No analogies are necessary really. Nevin had a budget. It was set by Boyle (his boss). He stayed within that budget over his time at the club. When Boyle decided to take the club into administration, Nevin resigned as staff would be losing their jobs and it would have been wrong for him to stay on as a top earner.

Admin was boyles fault and boyles alone, the anti-Nevin stuff is junk, has been for ten years. Worst of it is he's clearly a decent guy, he played well for us, and he's one of the few Scottish journalists whose career is not based on harping on about the OF.

Boyle isn't really the type to come out publicly and take full responsibility for his errors, he probably should have by now. But what he has done for the club over the past ten years makes up for it in my view. He, unlike Nevin, had the option of sticking around and fixing the mess (cause he's loaded) - and he did that.

That is the best summing up so far I have read! Was lucky enough to bump into Nevin about two years ago down here and he is still pretty passionate about the whole affair and I couldn't repeat the words he used re Mr Boyle! As said above though, JB has probably redeemed himself in recent years following admin and the whole Cooper scandal!