The Players

Busta Nut

Unfortunately, on our current form we are heading in that direction. I hope we can stop the rot, however, if we cant, we will need to find some positives from the situation and that is what we tried to do last time around.

We certainly are heading in that direction.

It was only a few weeks ago folk were telling other folk to calm down as we were 2 points ahead of Killie and still had to play then and we also had 2 games in hand.....

Josh Law for me perhaps epitomises the nudging down in quality of the team in recent seasons.

I believe he is one of the most honest and hard working players in our team. I also believe he gives us one of the most consistent level of performances from our players.

The difficulty however is that his consistent level only rarely nudges above the very minimum level required for our current level, by that I mean lower end top flight, and when his performance level dips he looks out of his depth.

There were many of that ilk in our squad. Some of them have been moved on recently, some of them remain. Some of them are hitting that same level as Law through a natural tailing off as time catches up whilst others you hope will grow and develop to surpass that level.

Incredible as it seems given the sheer volume of incomings and outgoings there has been since that play-off game last season, a further large scale re-jigging of the squad is required in the summer. I only hope that when McGhee comes to do it we are rebuilding a team to re-launch a challenge on the top six and not a team to get us out of the Championship.

Is he that much of a different player? Maybe lost a little pace but he was never the fastest.

I'd struggle to say whether he was better now or then. He got pelters from some of our support first time round too iirc but much of that is forgotten.

In my opinion he was sharper in front of goal and I believe the Skippy of old would have converted more of the chances. I like the guy, however, I understand that he will never be the same player who scored 42 goals in 108 appearances first time. And certainly not the player who scored 51 goals in 88 games for Celtic.

for lads saying they wouldnt mind us going down so we could reboot as it were, that may be a dangerous wish.

for other teams they have a core of experience and blood youth, we have plenty youth to blood but its the experienced part of the squad we need to ditch completely!

McManus,Hammell,Lasley,Pearson,McDonald, Ainsworth,Gomis,Clarky,Faddy would be the first players out the club and would be the costliest to replace, going with youth only is a recipe for disaster.

Agreed. For all Hearts' success this season, it is worth remembering the fate of Dunfermline, Falkirk and St Mirren. The thought of a season playing different sides might be okay, but the possible financial implications give me the fear. There is no guarantee that we would return to the SPL immediately.

for lads saying they wouldnt mind us going down so we could reboot as it were, that may be a dangerous wish.

If we do get relegated, we will have no option other than to build our squad mainly around young players. Hopefully by the time it takes us to get promoted (assuming we do at some point), these young players will be ready for the step up.

Someone mentioned on another thread that since entering the top flight in 1903, we've only spent 6 seasons out it! That's an incredible stat, and one that only serves to underline that whilst not being an all conquering club, we are a top flight one.

Barring another administration, relegation is the worst thing that could happen to us. It would be an absolute disaster!

The big fear for me is that we would be down for years like Dundee and Thistle were and the way Falkirk and Dumfermline are. You think we've lost a lot of fans after a couple of rotten seasons in the top flight? Imagine if we spent 7 years + in the lower leagues!

Whatever happens, we need a total clear out, and if we go down it shouldn't just be the players.

Someone mentioned on another thread that since entering the top flight in 1903, we've only spent 6 seasons out it! That's an incredible stat, and one that only serves to underline that whilst not being an all conquering club, we are a top flight one.

Barring another administration, relegation is the worst thing that could happen to us. It would be an absolute disaster!

The big fear for me is that we would be down for years like Dundee and Thistle were and the way Falkirk and Dumfermline are. You think we've lost a lot of fans after a couple of rotten seasons in the top flight? Imagine if we spent 7 years + in the lower leagues!

Whatever happens, we need a total clear out, and if we go down it shouldn't just be the players.

Relegation would be bad but not a disaster if the board kept faith with the team with some additional investment to replace 3 or 4 players then we would be good enough to get straight back up. Remember it would be a championship without Rangers and probably Hibs, clubs like Falkirk Dunfermline Raith rovers and the like have all been out of the top division for a long time because the championship is their level and we are a much better team than most of that league. So while i dont want it to happen it would not be a disaster.

Relegation would be bad but not a disaster if the board kept faith with the team with some additional investment to replace 3 or 4 players then we would be good enough to get straight back up. Remember it would be a championship without Rangers and probably Hibs, clubs like Falkirk Dunfermline Raith rovers and the like have all been out of the top division for a long time because the championship is their level and we are a much better team than most of that league. So while i dont want it to happen it would not be a disaster.

on paper we are better than them but thats BECAUSE of Samson,McManus,Hammell,Gomis ,Lasley,Pearson,McDonald,McFadden,Clarkson,Ainsworth. Take them out and how do we replace that to make sure we go straight back up? Theres no way we will have the money to replace like for like so we run the risk of going the Falkirk route

Agreed. For all Hearts' success this season, it is worth remembering the fate of Dunfermline, Falkirk and St Mirren. The thought of a season playing different sides might be okay, but the possible financial implications give me the fear. There is no guarantee that we would return to the SPL immediately.

Even if we didnt come back up what are you seriously missing. Big games againt Killie , ICT , Ross County , Accies , Dundee ...

Even if we didnt come back up what are you seriously missing. Big games againt Killie , ICT , Ross County , Accies , Dundee ...

i'd rather that than games against the likes of alloa and dumbarton the novelty of that would soon wear off,as for players if we did go down then barring the youngster's as many of the first team squad as possible should be hunted.

I suspect there will be league reconstruction in another year or so. But going down would be a huge concern.

I still don't know, nor do many what Les Hutchisons plans are. The Well Society will not gather the funds to repay Les and then what ?

If he continues to back us then a season or two in lower leagues may not be the worst thing, but he may well grow tired and realise it was a mistake buying Motherwell. A well intentioned one pardon the pun, but a costly mistake all the same.

Is there that much of a difference between the bottom six in the SPL and the top six in the Championship?

In my opinion yes there is, Rangers and Hibs are probably SPL standard but Falkirk, Qos, Raith and Morton are not every one of the current bottom 6 Premiership teams ( yes including Morherwell) are better teams. So if you add in St Mirren and probably Dunfermline coming up from league 1 then i would be confident of beating all of them.

Whoever joins Dundee untd in going down from the premiership will be favourites for the title next year and probably both teams coming straight back up.

So as much as i dont want it to happen i dont think it would be the disaster many people think it would be.

Has anyone told them that they are going down? :unsure: Maybe we could let them know before Tuesday so they can pin it to the dressing room wall to remind them that there is no point in trying. :ph34r:

I was assuming that on their current form a 12 point gap is too much to make up granted it could be down to 9 on Tuesday but i still think they will finish bottom they have shown no signs of stringing together the 4 or 5 wins in a row they need to get back into the pack.

I was assuming that on their current form a 12 point gap is too much to make up granted it could be down to 9 on Tuesday but i still think they will finish bottom they have shown no signs of stringing together the 4 or 5 wins in a row they need to get back into the pack.

In football you can assume nothing until it’s mathematically impossible for you not to get relegated. At the moment our form is just as bad as Dundee United’s and I believe them and the other teams are smelling blood. We on the other hand are only smelling salt from all the knockouts.