Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

3 minutes ago, mio said:

As much as it might annoy people with me praising kettlewell, but it’s arguable that spittal has played his best football under him.

It’s fairly obvious that Kettlewell is a good individual man manager/coach, but it’s his overall team management and tactical approach that many of us continue to question. Let’s see how he does this season with his massive squad. 

23 minutes ago, mio said:

As much as it might annoy people with me praising kettlewell, but its arguable that spittal has played his best football under him.

Spittal did well under him at Ross county and earned himself a move to us (after failing a bit previously at Dundee Utd) he was rank rotten with us under Alexander and then worse under Hammell and then became one of our most important players under kettlewell again.

by all accounts he’s been rotten so far at hearts. To be fair I’ve only seen him last week against us and I didn’t see him do anything until they pulled a goal back and then he was whipped off.

i don’t blame him for going and getting his move as I’m sure he’s on a good wedge but I agree I think we’ll see him out on loan to someone else next year.

I've got a mate that's a big time Jambo (i know, but don't judge me !) and he says they don't see where Spittal fits in and hasn't done anything so far to make you look up from your bovril.

41 minutes ago, wellfan said:

It’s fairly obvious that Kettlewell is a good individual man manager/coach, but it’s his overall team management and tactical approach that many of us continue to question. Let’s see how he does this season with his massive squad. 

I think thats fair enough comment.

Although his in game substitutions have been better in the last 2 games.

Something I have been very critical of him for in the past.

Hopefully that continues.

1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

I've got a mate that's a big time Jambo (i know, but don't judge me !) and he says they don't see where Spittal fits in and hasn't done anything so far to make you look up from your bovril.

By all accounts Naismith played him in a deeper role early in the season, which clearly isn't his strength. 

Of course, he will take time to adjust to a new system and new team mates, so I wouldn't write him off at this point. 

I'm not surprised Hearts are struggling, though. I don't rate Naismith as a coach, and they got away with some poor performances under him last season thanks to Shankland's goals. 

Even when we were bad last season, you could at least see the team had a plan and a shape - we either didn't execute or made stupid mistakes (or both).

Hearts just look clueless right now, and long may it continue. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Have said this before , Spittal will get lost in that team and set up.

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Well we'll soon find out whether it's a better idea to sign a proven goal scorer or do a Supermarket Sweep charge down the football equivalent of the middle aisle of Aldi. 

It can't be long now until Las and Robinson have St Mirren playing in Claret and Amber. They are still pining for the Well. 

21 hours ago, AllyMax said:

He had the perfect situation at Fir Park where he was guaranteed to play 90 minutes every week no matter what and was able to have games when he was totally off the boil or started slowly. 

At Hearts he has pressure to impress in what will be shorter and shorter appearances and major competition for places. I don't see it suiting him and he'll need a major attitude change from when he was here when he would wave off his own errors then bawl out his team mates if they made mistakes. 

St Mirren are probably already circling.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

He had the perfect situation at Fir Park where he was guaranteed to play 90 minutes every week no matter what and was able to have games when he was totally off the boil or started slowly. 

At Hearts he has pressure to impress in what will be shorter and shorter appearances and major competition for places. I don't see it suiting him and he'll need a major attitude change from when he was here when he would wave off his own errors then bawl out his team mates if they made mistakes. 

St Mirren are probably already circling.

Of course he is earning significantly more money for him and his family, playing with better players, better facilities, European football etc. But on balance, he probably made the wrong decision! 

26 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Of course he is earning significantly more money for him and his family, playing with better players, better facilities, European football etc. But on balance, he probably made the wrong decision! 

Whether it's the right decision for his career is a totally different question to whether he'll be a success on the park for Hearts. 

No one can blame Spittal for going for the money. At 29 this was probably his last chance at a big move so it was a no brainier for him. 

But you just feel that playing wise we got the best out of him in his two years there, similar to KvV and at a club like Hearts (and the same would go for Aberdeen and Hibs) where the demands are far higher than they are here he may struggle to be a main player like he was with us. 

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

Well we'll soon find out whether it's a better idea to sign a proven goal scorer or do a Supermarket Sweep charge down the football equivalent of the middle aisle of Aldi.

My money is still on 8 league goals or less.

I'm confident, however, he'll score more for St Mirren than he did for Killie.

2 hours ago, Cameron_Mcd said:

Spittal will get lost at Hearts but he's on a 3 year deal so he'll make hunners of money and won't care, if Hearts try to punt him next summer or the summer after a premiership team would still sign him* on the back of last season.

*Probably us

Will he still make hunners of money if hearts get relegated? 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

My money is still on 8 league goals or less.

I'm confident, however, he'll score more for St Mirren than he did for Killie.

How long til he's fit to play for a full game tho.