International Players Thread

GazzyB

1 hour ago, MJC said:

He always has been. He has the ‘gift of the gab’ though so people fall for his cheeky chappy, everyone’s pal act. He’s false and pretentious and laughs at his own shite patter. I wouldn’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth. 

I'd rather have him commenting than some of those used in the Euros, especially the women, and in particular the American one who seems to think she is an expert on VAR and tries to justify some of the ridiculous decisions we've seen this tournament.

8 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I'd rather have him commenting than some of those used in the Euros, especially the women, and in particular the American one who seems to think she is an expert on VAR and tries to justify some of the ridiculous decisions we've seen this tournament.

Add Jenas..zzzzzz..keown.. zzzzz and please pleaseeeee don't start Me on feckin ferdinand

8 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Best female pundits were Rachel corsie and leeann crichton 

On 7/11/2024 at 11:57 AM, Spiderpig said:

The woman was a retired Fifa Grade referee. I didnt think she tried to justify decisions, more explain why they would be given in line with current IFAB rules. There was one decision in particular (cant remember which) that she explained why the decision had been given in line with the rules, but then said, "if you ask me my personal opinion, you would get a different answer". I think it was to do withba penalty handball incident.

I thought it was actually quite refreahing ro get a referees insight as it explained a lot of stuff.

I think IFAB are the problem. Not the referees.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The woman was a retired Fifa Grade referee. I didnt think she tried to justify decisions, more explain why they would be given in line with current IFAB rules. There was one decision in particular (cant remember which) that she explained why the decision had been given in line with the rules, but then said, "if you ask me my personal opinion, you would get a different answer". I think it was to do withba penalty handball incident.

I thought it was actually quite refreahing ro get a referees insight as it explained a lot of stuff.

I think IFAB are the problem. Not the referees.

She also said that referees at the Euros had been 'recommended' to avoid going against what VAR suggested.  So what was the point of the referee looking at the wee screen? Go against that direction and there goes your chance of the final. The England penalty being a clear example where only VAR and Ian Wright thought the referee had made a clear and obvious error. Even the VAR lady was stunned.

8 minutes ago, dennyc said:

She also said that referees at the Euros had been 'recommended' to avoid going against what VAR suggested.  So what was the point of the referee looking at the wee screen? Go against that direction and there goes your chance of the final. The England penalty being a clear example where only VAR and Ian Wright thought the referee had made a clear and obvious error. Even the VAR lady was stunned.

My biggest gripe with VAR is that they now seem to be actively looking for reasons to disallow goals, yet they still spout the "we only get involved for clear and obvious errors " pish.

Tell me how spending 3 or 4 mins looking at an incident from every angle, slow motion, frame by frame etc, and drawing fancy lines on a screen to register someone off side by millimetres, is clear and obvious. The whole set up is ruining the game and needs binned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

My biggest gripe with VAR is that they now seem to be actively looking for reasons to disallow goals, yet they still spout the "we only get involved for clear and obvious errors " pish.

Tell me how spending 3 or 4 mins looking at an incident from every angle, slow motion, frame by frame etc, and drawing fancy lines on a screen to register someone off side by millimetres, is clear and obvious. The whole set up is ruining the game and needs binned.

No argument there......

I agree with SK on this one.

The authorities claimed it wouldn't change the way players played the game, and that VAR wouldn't start refereeing games.

Both claims have proved to be false.

The worst thing for me is it just takes away from the spontaneity of the game - especially when you score and have to wait 2 minutes for a goal to be confirmed.

When you watch leagues with no VAR, even the most controversial flashpoints are over in a few seconds and the players and fans quickly refocus on the game. And everybody just gets back on with it.

VAR is the exact opposite where every incident big and small is tainted by the check and the long wait.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Automated offsides and goal line technology seems to be working pretty well.

Would much rather have that than VAR.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Automated offsides and goal line technology seems to be working pretty well.

Would much rather have that than VAR.

That's just as bad, Lukakus big toe nail deemed offside in Belgiums game the other week, how can that be 100% accurate to determine the position at the moment the ball was kicked. And if offsides are going to be judged in millimetres now then the beautiful game is truly fecked.

27 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

That's just as bad, Lukakus big toe nail deemed offside in Belgiums game the other week, how can that be 100% accurate to determine the position at the moment the ball was kicked. And if offsides are going to be judged in millimetres now then the beautiful game is truly fecked.

I agree, and I think the problem there is that the rules haven't kept up with the technology in a few instances.

Offside was originally introduced to stop a team having a player camped in the opposition penalty box and launching balls at them all day.

It evolved into what we have now, but in pre-VAR days there was obviously much more leeway and arguments were not about fractions of a millimetre.

Same with the handball laws. They were designed to eliminate the need for refs to establish intent, but instead have made things 100 times worse. And that's only amplified by the VAR reviews for "handballs" that nobody even noticed or questioned.

If they are insistent on keeping VAR, I'd be in favour of changing offside to mean a player has to be completely in front of the last man. Of course there still might be arguments about only being 1cm behind, but it would give a lot more leeway.

If they don't change the handball rule, then I like the idea of having different levels of infringement in the penalty box. I know there are indirect free kicks sometimes, but they are few and far between.

It seems crazy that a player saving a shot on the goal line gives up the same penalty as a defender on the edge of the box, back to goal when the ball traveling out of the box hits him on the back of the arm.

Of course, I'd much prefer scrapping VAR. The only excuse I have heard now for keeping it is "players without it will struggle when the play international or European games".  No mention of improving the quality of the game for the players or more importantly, the spectators. That pretty much says it all.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Well you are either onside or offside, there has to be a line.

No one would think you should give a goal if it was nearly over the goal line, why is offside different?

The main issue is delays to decisions, especially after goals, and the offside and goal line technology is yes or no and works efficiently.

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

There should be a margin of error like in cricket which gives the attacker something like an extra 10cm to reflect the error in the cameras and determining when the ball was played.

Aye, agreed. Is this not the daylight rule or whatever it is that Wenger has been suggesting for a while? 

There's all kinds of issues with the FPS of cameras used and their inability to pinpoint exactly when it's kicked etc.

Did they not put a suspended sensor in the ball for stuff like that this tournament? I think it's used to determine handballs/contact like the edge system in cricket.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Well you are either onside or offside, there has to be a line.

No one would think you should give a goal if it was nearly over the goal line, why is offside different?

The main issue is delays to decisions, especially after goals, and the offside and goal line technology is yes or no and works efficiently.

Nobody is arguing with the concept of offside, it's the interpretation of it with the new technology that's the problem.  Big toes, knees etc millimetres offside, that's impossible to judge if that was correct t when the ball was kicked, it's ruining the game and fan experience big time.

Also if VAR is here to stay it should apply at all levels of professional football and not only top flight games, euro competition and internationals etc. 

It was sold as only being used for clear and obvious errors that the onfield officials missed etc and not the forensic examination of every goal, offside, possible penalty etc that we are seeing now looking for reasons to disallow them.

Theo comes on in the 77th minute for what looked like might be a famous win, but now we go to pens.

(Canda closing out a game using Motherwell tactics and conceding the equaliser in the 92nd minute).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...