International Players Thread

GazzyB

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

No game time for the Bair, Canada beaten 2-0 by Argentina.

Was an entertaining game, especially while it was 1 - 0. Argentina wasted a number of good chances, and Canda had 3 or 4 good opportunities to equalise.

That last few times I have seen Canada they have struggled to finish off the chances they create. It looks like the gaffer isn't going to change things while they still create; even if they are lacking the clinical edge. So Theo could be on the bench for the whole tournament.

Canada doing their best to keep Bair away from the League Cup (and on the bench again). Another 5 subs used and none of them Bair - although Jonathan David was good tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what Theo needs to do to get some minutes on the field. Canada are a decent team but are crying out for someone to take a chance or two.

Should have been 3 up at half time in tonight's game, lost a soft goal, and missed another couple of good chances after that.

1 - 1, 15 mins to go, and he still isn't getting a sniff.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Entertaining game, though - not always for footballing reasons. 

And Theo gets a good view from the bench for a semi againt Argentina. 

Has a Motherwell player ever made a final of major tournament? 

So Kelly and Bair have earned us almost as much as EB has offered as first instalment in his take over that gives him virtually full control of the club. The sooner he is told to do one the better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sinjy said:

So Kelly and Bair have earned us almost as much as EB has offered as first instalment in his take over that gives him virtually full control of the club. The sooner he is told to do one the better.

Good for the club.

I hope that we tell him to do one politely and respectfully. Hopefully it'll be a no vote, but the Society Board can engage with him to see if some kind of deal fairer to the club can be thrashed out. Maybe, maybe not. We want to be encouraging outside investors, as long as its on the right terms. He would have to show willingness to compromise though.  

Theo still not getting a sniff. Looking for goals the gaffer prefers bringing on a Minnesota Utd player. 

EDIT: confirmed another zero minutes. 

Jesse Marsch's inflexible team selection makes Steve Clarke look like Berti Vogts

37 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Theo still not getting a sniff. Looking for goals the gaffer prefers bringing on a Minnesota Utd player. 

Jesse Marsch's inflexible team selection makes Steve Clarke look like Berti Vogts

Theo just the same as James Forrest then?? All that way to warm a bench🤷‍♂️

Watched the first half of Argentina v Canada and have to admit, I was surprised at how positively the Canadians went at it from the start. They created a number of good chances before they got caught with the sucker punch and Argentina took control of the game.

Re Bair, its a shame he didnt get any game time, but looking at the Canada front line, they all looked pretty useful. Pace, strength and skill. No harm to the big fella but Im not surprised he didnt get a start given what they have at their disposal.

On the plus side, he hasnt got injured so any big money transfer should still go through smoothly!

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

I watched an interview with him where he praises the Argentinian coach for rotating his players to keep them fresh and how that worked well in today's game. 

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I never saw any of Canada When they had their prelim squad I was surprised Theo made it. Up front is where Canada are best.

They've been terrible up front this tourney. Creating a few, but their finishing has been awful and really struggling to score goals. They manged 2 goals in five games and missed a fair number of chances.

I can see why they might not want to start Theo, but to not ever use him as an option off the bench when all the other options repeatedly fail to score seems a bit strange.

3 hours ago, cambo97 said:

watched an interview with him where he praises the Argentinian coach for rotating his players to keep them fresh and how that worked well in today's game. 

That sounds like the same shite Steve Clarke would say without realising the obvious irony in his own statement.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

That sounds like the same shite Steve Clarke would say without realising the obvious irony in his own statement.

Now I'm not saying Lennon Miller is in the same class as Yamal but one is 16 years old and just put his country through to the Euro finals and the other is 17 years old and we've just decided to move him up to the national U21 set up.

We are so conservative and so distrusting of talent in this country.  You just know that if Yamal was Scottish he wouldn't have a first team appearance under his belt at club level, never mind international.

30 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Now I'm not saying Lennon Miller is in the same class as Yamal but one is 16 years old and just put his country through to the Euro finals and the other is 17 years old and we've just decided to move him up to the national U21 set up.

We are so conservative and so distrusting of talent in this country.  You just know that if Yamal was Scottish he wouldn't have a first team appearance under his belt at club level, never mind international.

The last time Miller was in the u17s rather than u21s it was when the u17s had bigger games. He would definitely have learned more from playing Italy u17s than Kazakhstan u21s.

Yamal has been playing for Barca under top level coaches and in the same system as Spain. Miller is coached by Kettlewell and Ricky Foster and and despite having great technical skills had pass completion of less than 70% because the team is so poorly coached that he often has no one to pass to. Our young players are slower to develop because of the lack of quality coaching in the country.

Abderdeen gave a 16 year old his debut this season. Miller played a few days after his 16th birthday and Celtic gave Ben Doak a game aged 16. I think Yamal would be fine here.