Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

19 minutes ago, santheman said:

We've rarely led in games when the full team's been on the park so singling him out on that point is plain daft.

Aye, I was going to say similar. I would argue that when he came in more and more last season around October onward, we finally started to show a bit more solidity in the middle of the park in comparison to before. I thought he was one of the main reasons Spittal was able to go on and have such a successful season; he freed him up from having to play more of a complete midfielder role.

I agree with @steelboy that his range of passing is limited. As I see it, his job/role as set out by Kettlewell is to win it back and give it to one of the wide centre backs to go and play it forward, or out to one of the wing backs. I don't think it's his fault they're absolutely shite at distributing the ball and using it once he's won it back. Hopefully with McGinn and Balmer coming back in (we can but hope and pray Casey is a back up option this season) we'll see an upgrade in terms of the overall distribution. 

I would like to see him try and take a chance with forward passes a bit more often but every time I saw him look up yesterday there was... no option other than Miller showing. Wilson and SODs were pedestrian breaking forward and when they did they barely got beyond their man.

I did think a lot last year and already am this year, do we miss Goss, for all his other failings? Having an anchor/deep lying playmaker like him made a huge difference.

Also, as much as I'm frustrated/infuriated by him and his lack of composure, we actually, somewhat terrifyingly, missed Harry Paton's energy yesterday. At least you can rely on him getting the ball to feet and driving forward at defenders; we sorely missed that kind of play yesterday until Wells came on.

It was so passive and pedestrian; if that's how we're going to set up this season, it's going to be a long, hard slog in the bottom six yet again.

Hopefully it's not, particularly once injuries are healed and we can field our starting XI. I would argue that of those starting yesterday, only one of the back five, and one of the midfield would/should be regular starters for us this season.

44 minutes ago, santheman said:

We've rarely led in games when the full team's been on the park so singling him out on that point is plain daft.

Livi and Dundee away this year as soon as he went off we started to dominate and went from losing to winning the match. 

For a player to be limited as he is in possession they have to be a force defensively to justify a place in the team and he just doesn't cut it. Robbie Crawford showed yesterday that he's a better player but daft handshakes and running around when the ball is dead obviously goes a long way with some people. 

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Livi and Dundee away this year as soon as he went off we started to dominate and went from losing to winning the match. 

For a player to be limited as he is in possession they have to be a force defensively to justify a place in the team and he just doesn't cut it. Robbie Crawford showed yesterday that he's a better player but daft handshakes and running around when the ball is dead obviously goes a long way with some people. 

It won't be a surprise to anybody that daft handshakes improve your chances of success in this country.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

He...... isn't enough of a physical presence when we are defending. 

That's my concern with him. Whilst he's a "guid honest laddie" he's simply too lightweight for the role he plays. I can live with his creative deficiencies. We badly lack a solid, competitive defensive midfielder and have done so for some time. 

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not quite the point I was making.

Last season, when we went on a shocking winless run, it was argued by some that SK should be cut some slack given that he hadn't been in the job long and that he was being forced to pick players he didn't sign. Thats not the situation now.  

Just when you said there will be no excuses or hiding places, I take that to mean that if and when we hit that period, many would suggest the next step would be sacking the manager.

I'm fairly certain we’ll hit an extended winless run this season at some point. The lack of depth when it comes to quality in our squad suggests that injuries will lead to a period where we don't perform well and results suffer. That is unless we're incredibly lucky and avoid many injuries this season, of course.

In my opinion, Kettlewell has done a good job thus far. It's sometimes forgotten (or ignored by some) that he's a young manager still learning the job.

Before coming to us, he’d had six months as a manager on his own. This upcoming season is only his second full season as a manager, and he’s only just turned 40 years old.

Sure, he likes to talk, but I'd take that any day over one of the "boys" who get managerial jobs in this country and can't string two sentences together without resorting to clichés that say absolutely nothing.

Sacking a manager should always be an absolute last resort. The upheaval it causes at the club is immense, from seeing fellow coaches leave and player routines being disturbed, to a new manager coming in with different ideas and different requirements regarding the playing staff.

Interestingly enough, we sacked Graham Alexander two years ago today, and the chaos and upheaval we've experienced since then hasn't been good. We're only now really getting back to something resembling normalcy.

• Like 2

Like last season the balance in midfield looks way off and we're going to be just as easy to play through,there's no pace and legs to get about the park,I doubt there will be many yet to arrive but we badly need a midfielder or 2,one that can link play to the forwards is a must,we cant have 4 strikers on the books and nobody that can play a productive pass.miller is class but we can't solely rely on him, kettlewell also need to stop asking guys to do things they cant do like halliday in an advance role,he's never been that type of player never mind the stage of his career he's at now.

1 hour ago, David said:

Interestingly enough, we sacked Graham Alexander two years ago today, and the chaos and upheaval we've experienced since then hasn't been good. We're only now really getting back to something resembling normalcy.

I agree with all of that and would emphasise your last point. What could happen if we sack another manager mid-season? We might spend two or three transfer windows and a lot of money on getting rid of SK's signings and waiting for the new manager to mould his own team and style of play. Seem familiar?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yodo said:

Great chance tonight to make your feelings clear to SK at the WS question and answer session . Hope to hear some no holds barred questions and if it’s your opinion how good a job he is doing 

I'll just be there to listen.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Again you can't say replacing him made the difference alone in those games, it could have been a multitude of factors.

Davor is what he is, he breaks play up and gives the ball to others more adept at the passing game. Yeah he's a bit lightweight when he's up against bigger stronger players but he's by no means the worst player out there.

Crawford looked good because he had another 9 players working their socks off alongside him whereas we thought we were still on the beach.

1 hour ago, santheman said:

Again you can't say replacing him made the difference alone in those games, it could have been a multitude of factors.

Davor is what he is, he breaks play up and gives the ball to others more adept at the passing game. Yeah he's a bit lightweight when he's up against bigger stronger players but he's by no means the worst player out there.

Crawford looked good because he had another 9 players working their socks off alongside him whereas we thought we were still on the beach.

Good post. We took the field with the wrong attitude and made Partick's journeymen look a class above what they actually are. 

3 hours ago, David said:

Just when you said there will be no excuses or hiding places, I take that to mean that if and when we hit that period, many would suggest the next step would be sacking the manager.

Yes, I suspect many would.

Kettlewell said all the right things tonight about the goals for the season. We are aiming for Top 6 and Europe. 

He wanted to put the point across that he was taking accountability for the performance yesterday but it wasn't clear what that actually meant other than saying those words.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Kettlewell said all the right things tonight about the goals for the season. We are aiming for Top 6 and Europe. 

He wanted to put the point across that he was taking accountability for the performance yesterday but it wasn't clear what that actually meant other than saying those words.

He certainly doesn't hide and is always honest.  Was raging after yesterday's performance and rightly so but he picks the team and signs the players.  I expect a reaction on Saturday and hopefully a few team changes

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

A 90 year fan went to town on Kettlewell. We need to get the guy a log in on here, he was brilliant value.

Can he play as a number 10? If so, sign him up for Saturday!

• Haha 1

The time to judge SK will be once he has had a run of games with HIS players in the starting 11.

If we get to October and Heygi, Kaleta, Balmer, Gordon, Seddon, Callaghan, Sparrow, Stuparevic, Robinson, Stamatelopoulos etc are still all firing blanks and we are bottom of the table then there is a discussion to be had.

Aye the League Cup group stage was shite to watch, but its rarely anything more than that and we have a winnable home tie against a team with bigger fish to fry.

The real stuff starts Saturday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

You would have enjoyed it.

A 90 year fan went to town on Kettlewell. We need to get the guy a log in on here, he was brilliant value.

Didn't you do the same?

7 hours ago, David said:

Well, not in person anyway. only behind a keyboard.

Kettlewell knew he would get some questions about Sunday but he was well prepared by answering that he accepted responsibility for the performance and that we all have different opinions. Gave himself plenty pats on the back and somebody told him he had done a brilliant job the last 18 month so that was right up his street .

I went along yesterday he came across well. Was an interesting one the 90 year old gave a good laugh to me. I think the partick performance was very poor and bad but not the worst day in the clubs history as he’d stated I can cast back to a few worse in my decade following us. 

kettlewells done an acceptable job he comes across well. I sometimes wonder what folk want him to do when things don’t work out he said he’ll take accountability but ultimately the players have to take some accountability too. For me outside of SOD and the keeper there isn’t one player who got pass marks at the weekend. 

I think once some of our injuries return we’ll be alright. I’m expecting to finish around 7th this year but if we start closing the gap on top 6 that’s progress for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Throughthelaces said:

kettlewells done an acceptable job he comes across well. I sometimes wonder what folk want him to do when things don’t work out he said he’ll take accountability but ultimately the players have to take some accountability too. For me outside of SOD and the keeper there isn’t one player who got pass marks at the weekend.

You often find, at least online, that those who are perpetually critical of Kettlewell are the very same individuals who spent most of their time criticising Alexander and Robinson.

And they will eventually be critical of the next guy as well.