2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Ah well another scapegoat will need to be found by some folk with Paton out for 14 weeks.  Terrible blow for him and I wish him a speedy recovery.  I like Harry, never hides and lot of fault is there SK plays him

It's a shame for Paton. He works hard for the team when he plays and there is a definitely a place in the squad for players like him, but he's never an attacking creative midfielder in a million years.

With Nicholson and Callachan made of chocolate, and Slattery and Paton out til the November at the earliest, are we now solely relying on 16-year-old Wells to be our creative spark in the advanced midfield role? I've said it before and I'll say it again, not properly replacing Spittal is going to hurt us. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wellfan said:

It's a shame for Paton. He works hard for the team when he plays and there is a definitely a place in the squad for players like him, but he's never an attacking creative midfielder in a million years.

With Nicholson and Callachan made of chocolate, and Slattery and Paton out til the November at the earliest, are we now solely relying on 16-year-old Wells to be our creative spark in the advanced midfield role? I've said it before and I'll say it again, not properly replacing Spittal is going to hurt us. 

IS there not still 4 weeks left before the transfer window closes? No point getting yer knickers in a twist this early

• Like 1

1 hour ago, witchfindergeneral said:

IS there not still 4 weeks left before the transfer window closes? No point getting yer knickers in a twist this early

This is such a tired statement. Competitive action began weeks ago and we knew Spittal was away months ago. We should not be waiting to the last possible minute to sign players in key positions and we should be treating League Cup games with the utmost respect. Domestic cups are our only real chances of success each season and starting the league campaign strong is important. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wellfan91 said:

Is Sparrow not an attacking mid? Albeit he's injured as well 🤣

I think he's as "midfieldery" as a midfielder can be. Probably not found his true position yet, as I imagine he's played all over the place in the different teams he's been with.

3 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I think he's as "midfieldery" as a midfielder can be. Probably not found his true position yet, as I imagine he's played all over the place in the different teams he's been with.

Yeh, he’s predominantly played as a ‘central’ midfielder, but I’d like to think that we’ll be able to help him find his most effective position over the next 2 years. 

• Like 1

We need two midfielders minimum.  I'd expect we will hear more on Nicholson and Callachan at the Q&A on Monday. 

Craig Napier had a perfect view of the foul on Paton and chose not to give a penalty. Scottish refs are a joke. 

Wells is actually older than Miller so there's no point holding him back on the basis of age. He should get a run out at some point against Thistle. 

• Like 3

All this signifys to me is we are simply a body down in midfield. Anyone thinking paton is the answer to making our midfield tick or linking midfield & attack has been out in the Scottish sun too long. If we cant find another player who can as a minimum provide what paton can do then we are in bother.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Competitive action began weeks ago and we knew Spittal was away months ago. We should not be waiting to the last possible minute to sign players in key positions and we should be treating League Cup games with the utmost respect. Domestic cups are our only real chances of success each season and starting the league campaign strong is important. 

Absolutely. We knew that Spittal would be leaving, probably 6 months ago. His is is a key position. Now you could say that Nicholson was signed as his replacement. With his injury record though its putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Sk did say that he was looking to sign another 2/3 players; presumably one being the yet to be confirmed striker with the unpronouncable name. I assumed that a No 10 would be another target.  It is leaving it late though to fill a key position.     

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

This is such a tired statement. Competitive action began weeks ago and we knew Spittal was away months ago. We should not be waiting to the last possible minute to sign players in key positions and we should be treating League Cup games with the utmost respect. Domestic cups are our only real chances of success each season and starting the league campaign strong is important. 

I agree with that, we should  have signed his replacement weeks ago but it's not always that simple. SK may be waiting for the English loan market to open up. He may have a signing in the works. Sparrow and Nicholson might be his solution (I hope not). He might be sitting on his arse doing nothing and now he's forced to act.

There's still no point getting wound up over it this early. He's managed to bring in plenty of players elsewhere. Imagine at this point we had a no 10, but our only strikers were Ebiye and Ferrie. SK is doing fine with getting in players so far and I'm sure he's more than aware we need a 10.

1 hour ago, witchfindergeneral said:

I agree with that, we should  have signed his replacement weeks ago but it's not always that simple. SK may be waiting for the English loan market to open up. He may have a signing in the works. Sparrow and Nicholson might be his solution (I hope not). He might be sitting on his arse doing nothing and now he's forced to act.

There's still no point getting wound up over it this early. He's managed to bring in plenty of players elsewhere. Imagine at this point we had a no 10, but our only strikers were Ebiye and Ferrie. SK is doing fine with getting in players so far and I'm sure he's more than aware we need a 10.

Whichever way you look at it, it's not good enough, and it should be simple. Putting Bair's goals aside in the second half of the season, Spittal was our most important player across the season, and he shouldn't be replaced with a loanee or a Nicholson or a Sparrow. Given Kettlewell knew Spittal was going a long time ago, and knowing that he was key to making Ketllewell's system work, a replacement should've been a top priority a long time ago. Instead, he's fudged a now injured Paton into the role, hoped that Nicholson would remain injury free, and now we're very short in that department, and likely relying on a loanee or dropping a striker/attacker into that role. He'll be judged on this once/if his system fails. 

The Spittal that we signed is not the same Spittal the moved to Hearts. He only became that good through the efforts of the coaching staff.

If we follow the same model, one of the new signings could end up being as good, but won't be starting off that way.

• Like 1

According to Kettlewell, Stama's deal is subject to a medical, which should be happening soon. 

Let’s get that done and dusted before something gets in the way. 

medical is to make sure he has a niggling injury before we do sign him. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The Spittal that we signed is not the same Spittal the moved to Hearts. He only became that good through the efforts of the coaching staff.

If we follow the same model, one of the new signings could end up being as good, but won't be starting off that way.

Might be the opportunity for Wells to shine and be the next Turnbull/Campbell/Miller

• Thanks 1

Instead, he's fudged a now injured Paton into the role, hoped that Nicholson would remain injury free, and now we're very short in that department, and likely relying on a loanee or dropping a striker/attacker into that role. He'll be judged on this once/if his system fails. 

Really? By who? You and a few others maybe. The rest of us non-pantwetters will wait and see once all of the transfers are in / out and the new squad has had a few months to settle in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

Really? By who? You and a few others maybe. The rest of us non-pantwetters will wait and see once all of the transfers are in / out and the new squad has had a few months to settle in.

You do realise that sensible posts like that have no place on this forum 🙂

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

All this ‘knickers in a twist’ and ‘pant wetters’ chat is a right laugh, isn’t it?! Very constructive engagement. 

19 hours ago, wellfan said:

All this ‘knickers in a twist’ and ‘pant wetters’ chat is a right laugh, isn’t it?! Very constructive engagement. 

That and ‘trolling’.

You know people have no argument or constructive contribution to make to a discussion once they start accusing someone telling it like it is or how they don’t want to hear it of being a troll or knicker twisting/wetting.

Concerns about the squad are perfectly valid right now. We have a crucial Cup game tomorrow and the league season begins a week today yet we have lost our two best players from last season, one of which we knew six months ago would be leaving, and failed to replace either. Once again we are riddled with injuries leaving our already shallow pool of players decimated even more.

If that makes me a troll or a knicker wetter for thinking and saying that in some peoples eyes then there’s nothing I can do about that, but I prefer to see it as saying things as I see them as opposed to nodding my head like a donkey and and warbling on like a parrot. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 2:20 PM, witchfindergeneral said:

I agree. Just because we should have signed someone doesn't mean that we were going to get a player to replace Spittal just at the time we needed it who wanted to come to us for the terms we are going to be offering 

22 hours ago, weeyin said:

Also agree. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

That and ‘trolling’.

You know people have no argument or constructive contribution to make to a discussion once they start accusing someone telling it like it is or how they don’t want to hear it of being a troll or knicker twisting/wetting.

Concerns about the squad are perfectly valid right now. We have a crucial Cup game tomorrow and the league season begins a week today yet we have lost our two best players from last season, one of which we knew six months ago would be leaving, and failed to replace either. Once again we are riddled with injuries leaving our already shallow pool of players decimated even more.

If that makes me a troll or a knicker wetter for thinking and saying that in some peoples eyes then there’s nothing I can do about that, but I prefer to see it as saying things as I see them as opposed to nodding my head like a donkey and and warbling on like a parrot. 

New season , full of promise , a clean slate , new signings and raring to go.   I just wish some folk would change the depressing, doom mongering, pant wetting , trolling patter ( delete where appropriate ) from previous seasons and at least try n get out of the right side of the bed in the morning.

Think happy thoughts , at lest until September.

• Like 1