2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

Not to cause panic but if we're wanting to have a go for Europe this season we need another 5/6 players.

I'd be bringing in 2 strikers and playing a 352 so we at least pose more of a threat since we don't have wingers.

Still need a LWB as much as I'd like to see Wilson the premiership will eat him alive he's looked leggy after 60 mins against lower league opposition.

Still need a holding midfielder.

We also need a creative midfielder to replace Spittal with all the injuries we've got in that area of the pitch.

IF I'm was being extremely optimistic I'd like another CB preferably with a bit of pace about them but we do have 6 options in that area so don't think it's overly likely.

4 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Not to cause panic but if we're wanting to have a go for Europe this season we need another 5/6 players.

I'd be bringing in 2 strikers and playing a 352 so we at least pose more of a threat since we don't have wingers.

Still need a LWB as much as I'd like to see Wilson the premiership will eat him alive he's looked leggy after 60 mins against lower league opposition.

We also need a creative midfielder to replace Spittal with all the injuries we've got in that area of the pitch.

IF I'm was being extremely optimistic I'd like another CB preferably with a bit of pace about them but we do have 6 options in that area so don't think it's overly likely.

Not sure about all of that. We absolutely need another striker, but not 2, albeit one is supposedly coming soon from the Antipodes.  Another creative midfielder is also a must. I would also like to have brought in another defensive/holding midfielder, as demonstrated by Clyde's goal last Saturday, but that won't happen now. 

I share your concern about Wilson, but we have yet to see Seddon in action. Numbers wise we're fine in central defence.

13 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

So you're think we should make, in total, 15 or so signings and an additional six to add to a squad of 21 already? And have five or six trikers on the books?

Are you the reincarnation of John Boyle from the late 1990s?

44 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Isn't our Euro co-efficient about to fall off a cliff?

Will there even be 5 European places next season?

Think the new format will probably favour our clubs, good chance Celtic, Rangers, Hearts all make it out the League phase in the new format. 

On 7/26/2024 at 6:53 AM, wellfan said:

This is such a tired statement. Competitive action began weeks ago and we knew Spittal was away months ago. We should not be waiting to the last possible minute to sign players in key positions and we should be treating League Cup games with the utmost respect. Domestic cups are our only real chances of success each season and starting the league campaign strong is important. 

What makes you think the club are "waiting" until the last possible minute to sign players for key positions? Do you honestly believe the management team are sitting around saying, "We still need to replace Spittal, but it’s fine, we can leave it for a bit longer. No need to worry about it just now"?

Yes, we knew Spittal was leaving months ago, but we didn’t know who else was staying or going, so we wouldn’t have known our budget. Also, even if we had identified a player months ago to replace him, what makes you think that player would want to commit to us so early? Any agent worth his salary would be advising his players to shop around and see what other options are available before agreeing to anything.

There are many factors that go into bringing in new players. It’s nowhere near as straightforward and simplistic as you like to make it out to be.

20 minutes ago, David said:

What makes you think the club are "waiting" until the last possible minute to sign players for key positions?

Because the league campaign starts in six days. There’s no need to be patronising. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Anyone who wouldn't take Van Veen back after watching that today is off their head. 

van Veen wouldn’t work in Kettlewell’s current set up. There’s no Spittal anymore to support him so he’d be completely isolated upfront. Besides that he has had his purple patch with us and peaked. We wouldn’t get the same van Veen back as the one that we last had in May ‘23.

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Anyone who wouldn't take Van Veen back after watching that today is off their head. 

Did you see him for Killie? Anyone who would take him back after seeing him play for Killie is off their head...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Did you see him for Killie? Anyone who would take him back after seeing him play for Killie is off their head...

Exactly. He is 33 years old and his best spell in his career was with us. He hasn’t come close to replicating that since he left us, either at Groningen or Killie. We definitely got the best out of him when he was here but that’s past now. Re-signing him would be akin to signing McFadden for the third time in 2015.

21 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I saw him play 5 minutes against us. Unless he's lost a limb he'll still be a better option than today's trio.

Van Veen is an intelligent player with good technical skills. The three today were various shades of Ollie Shaw.

18 minutes ago, MJC said:

Exactly. He is 33 years old and his best spell in his career was with us. He hasn’t come close to replicating that since he left us, either at Groningen or Killie. 

His goals per minutes at Groningen were still decent he just fell out with everyone. He barely played for Killie. 

51 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Because the league campaign starts in six days. There’s no need to be patronising. 

I'm not being patronising; I'm simply asking why you said something that is clearly a bit daft. There's a difference.

The club is doing what it always does. They're trying to get the best players they can on a limited budget, while those players are likely receiving similar offers from other clubs and, as they are entitled to do, weighing up their options.

The only waiting the club is likely doing is waiting to hear back from the agents or clubs of players they have approached about coming here.

O’Donnell - Not good enough, terrible crosser, too slow getting up and back down.

Kaleta - Will take 3 months to get up to speed.

Katroumbis - No idea as injured. Hopefully better than O’Donnell.

Wilson - Not fit or fast enough. Turns back or inside all the time instead of down the outside. 

Blaney - Not good enough at this level. Easily bullied and not sharp enough in the head. 

Casey - Got a major blunder in him most games. Regressing after a good start.

Davor - Passing poor, only good for breaking up play. Struggles to impose on games.

Halliday - Spent force. No legs. Slow in possession. Championship player at best these days.

Stuperavic - Struggling with the pace of Scottish football. Hope he comes good, but have early concerns.

Robinson - Looks to be lacking confidence. Not convinced he will score enough at this level. 

Need another Striker, Attacking Midfielder and Left Wing Back. If I was being greedy, a good Defensive Midfielder. 

Buckle in, because it’s going to be another tough season ahead with the squad Kettlewell has built so far. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not being patronising; I'm simply asking why you said something that is clearly a bit daft. There's a difference.

The club is doing what it always does. They're trying to get the best players they can on a limited budget, while those players are likely receiving similar offers from other clubs and, as they are entitled to do, weighing up their options.

The only waiting the club is likely doing is waiting to hear back from the agents or clubs of players they have approached about coming here.

So many words to say heehaw. A speaking clock level of analysis. 

The bottom line is we have signed 11 players and at the moment appear to have got worse. The idea that Callachan, Nicholson, Balmer and a striker from a diddy team in the A League are going to turn this around seems far fetched. 

It's exactly the same as last summer when he just signed any old shite at the start of the window.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Stuperavic - Struggling with the pace of Scottish football. Hope he comes good, but have early concerns.

How can you say he’s struggling with the pace of Scottish football when he’s only played one actual match for us? We’ve not really seen him play in Scottish football yet. He’s played one game and 36 minutes when he’s been brought on from the bench.

I can understand you perhaps questioning his record up to this point elsewhere, but claiming that he’s struggling with the pace when he’s only played one full game is quite something.

Just now, David said:

How can you say he’s struggling with the pace of Scottish football when he’s only played one actual match for us? We’ve not really seen him play in Scottish football yet. He’s played one game and 36 minutes when he’s been brought on from the bench.

I can understand you perhaps questioning his record up to this point elsewhere, but claiming that he’s struggling with the pace when he’s only played one full game is quite something.

Well he got caught on the ball or hurriedly gave it away lots in all appearances so far. Scottish football at most levels is hustle and bustle and he looks like a player that is used to having more time on the ball. 

12 minutes ago, David said:

It’s only daft to have said what I said if you subscribe to the view that Kettlewell knows what he’s doing.

54 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

O’Donnell - Not good enough, terrible crosser, too slow getting up and back down.

Kaleta - Will take 3 months to get up to speed.

Katroumbis - No idea as injured. Hopefully better than O’Donnell.

Wilson - Not fit or fast enough. Turns back or inside all the time instead of down the outside. 

Blaney - Not good enough at this level. Easily bullied and not sharp enough in the head. 

Casey - Got a major blunder in him most games. Regressing after a good start.

Davor - Passing poor, only good for breaking up play. Struggles to impose on games.

Halliday - Spent force. No legs. Slow in possession. Championship player at best these days.

Robinson - Looks to be lacking confidence. Not convinced he will score enough at this level. 

Need another Striker, Attacking Midfielder and Left Wing Back. If I was being greedy, a good Defensive Midfielder. 

Buckle in, because it’s going to be another tough season ahead with the squad Kettlewell has built so far. 

A very knowledgeable summary of our footballing talent, I bet you play fifa football on your play station quite a lot don't you 🤦‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

A very knowledgeable summary of our footballing talent, I bet you play fifa football on your play station quite a lot don't you 🤦‍♂️ 

How do u do it your never wrong a real  knowledge of football not 

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I’m 43 mate, not played FIFA in about 25 years, but I’ll tell you what I can do, I can watch a game of football and have an opinion. I’ve seen some players play for quite a long time, plenty of time to form an opinion. If you can watch some of those players regularly and not have concerns, then maybe you should play some FIFA! 

• Like 1