2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

2 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Well he got caught on the ball or hurriedly gave it away lots in all appearances so far. Scottish football at most levels is hustle and bustle and he looks like a player that is used to having more time on the ball. 

He's played one game for us. One entire game. Maybe wait until he's played more than that before judging how he's looking in the Scottish game?

By your reckoning Henrik Larsson would have looked like he was "struggling with the pace of Scottish football" when he misplaced that pass under pressure to Chic Charnley in his first game for Celtic. He went on to do not too badly.

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

It’s only daft to have said what I said if you subscribe to the view that Kettlewell knows what he’s doing.

Exactly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David said:

He's played one game for us. One entire game. Maybe wait until he's played more than that before judging how he's looking in the Scottish game?

By your reckoning Henrik Larsson would have looked like he was "struggling with the pace of Scottish football" when he misplaced that pass under pressure to Chic Charnley in his first game for Celtic. He went on to do not too badly.

Exactly. 

He’s played more than one game, so get your facts straight if you are going to debate! I also didn’t give a definitive verdict, but said he looks like he’s going to need time to get up to speed with the Scottish game. The manager saw fit to hook him at half time, so I can’t be a mile out with what was a poor performance on his part.

15 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

He’s played more than one game, so get your facts straight if you are going to debate! I also didn’t give a definitive verdict, but said he looks like he’s going to need time to get up to speed with the Scottish game. The manager saw fit to hook him at half time, so I can’t be a mile out with what was a poor performance on his part.

He's played 90 minutes of football i.e a game in total; we're arguing over semantics here.

That's 90 mins over 4 appearances, when one of them was 45 minutes. Nowhere near enough for someone to get up to speed with a totally different brand/type of football. He's shown flashes as an impact sub but he was definitely "aff it" today. But I'd argue the set up was far from ideal for the majority of the players.

How long did it take Gent, Davor and others to settle into the team last season? Weeks, against much stronger opposition than we've faced so far.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

He’s played more than one game, so get your facts straight if you are going to debate!

He's played one entire game. From start to finish. Which is what I said. So, calm down. 

Kettlewell was determined to get the squad together early this summer, however there are no benefits to be witnessed yet. Sure, we’ve been hit with injuries and a few will take a while to get up to speed but I get the impression Kettlewell isn’t overly enamoured by one or two of the recent additions. 

2 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

He's played two. People wrote Bair off this time last year 

5 hours ago, David said:

I'm not being patronising; I'm simply asking why you said something that is clearly a bit daft. There's a difference.

The club is doing what it always does. They're trying to get the best players they can on a limited budget, while those players are likely receiving similar offers from other clubs and, as they are entitled to do, weighing up their options.

The only waiting the club is likely doing is waiting to hear back from the agents or clubs of players they have approached about coming here.

I agree with you. I don't always on here - far from it but I think this is spot on. We signed three players last year on loan in August and at the beginning of September. So seriously. I see no reason to be pressing the panic button right now 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 7:01 PM, wellfan said:

All this ‘knickers in a twist’ and ‘pant wetters’ chat is a right laugh, isn’t it?! Very constructive engagement. 

You've called people on here sanctimonious pricks. What's the difference? 

I had someone on here refer to me as corrosive because they believed the crap about me being an Erik Barmack plant. I lost a family member to suicide 6 months before Motherwell won the cup in 1991.

It was one of the very few normal moments in what was a completely horrendous year and beyond. But apparently I don't care about Motherwell. And that is why the comments that someone on here made upset me so much. 

I'd be happy to be called a troll or a pant wetter right now tbh...

Just making the point when people post at you saying you hate Motherwell. They don't know what they are talking about.  

There's been far more than that. But seriously - someone on here who posts on pie and bov made a snide dig at me saying "we know how you feel about Motherwell"..

You don't. The other person on here who was referred to as corrosive was someone who in my view asked reasonable questions about Erik. 

If people want to stay in an echo chamber then so be it. No room for different opinions? Stay in your own bubble then 

3 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

He's played 90 minutes of football i.e a game in total; we're arguing over semantics here.

That's 90 mins over 4 appearances, when one of them was 45 minutes. Nowhere near enough for someone to get up to speed with a totally different brand/type of football. He's shown flashes as an impact sub but he was definitely "aff it" today. But I'd argue the set up was far from ideal for the majority of the players.

How long did it take Gent, Davor and others to settle into the team last season? Weeks, against much stronger opposition than we've faced so far.

Is that not what I said. Not a great start, and will take time to get up to speed. Performances have been largely poor so far. Folk arguing with me when everything I’ve said is correct. Gies peace man.

12 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Is that not what I said. Not a great start, and will take time to get up to speed. Performances have been largely poor so far. Folk arguing with me when everything I’ve said is correct. Gies peace man

Bair got up to speed and hopefully he will too 

8 hours ago, wellgirl said:

You've called people on here sanctimonious pricks. What's the difference? 

The difference is I’ve generally referred to a collective group of posters of a similar viewpoint as sanctimonious pricks, and not targeted anyone individually unless specifically provoked by them.

Whereas, I am consistently and directly called a pant wetter etc by the same few posters for expressing a view they don’t like, which is fine, but it’s not overly constructive and is just annoying, so I call it out. But that’s a football forum. Most of us deal with it, give as good as we get, and move on to the next game. 

Now, since you’ve asked me specifically, if you want to talk about the difference, let’s not forget that it’s you who often gets personal by sending unsolicited direct messages to folk on this forum harassing them because you disagree, harbour a grudge, or have a personal grievance. I thought you would take my lack of response to your posts and direct messages to me as a hint to stop engaging directly with me, but here we are. 

However, I won’t tell you or anyone how to act or what to publicly post or direct message to others, but some self-policing (including by me at times) before reaching for the keyboard would be wise. You’re also free to ignore me and others. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 11:49 AM, Chanzeypopz said:

Anyone know what happend with Mugabi ? Thought he had a pretty good season last season and was surprised to see him leave 😞

He’s left the club I think to a Greek team could be wrong about a Greek team.

6 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

He’s left the club I think to a Greek team could be wrong about a Greek team.

Transfermarkt have his current club as Anorthosis Famagusta in Cyprus with Kaiyne Woolery.

6 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

3yr deal :O Just need someone who can cross a ball and play defence splitting passes now.

I think the former will be handled by Seddon and hopefully Kaleta.

I agree that we definitely still need a 10 and I'd hope we show a similar level of spending/ambition in bringing in a key role, but time will tell...

On the 3-year thing, not sure he'd have signed for much else given his family situation. It gives him some stability and also means if we sell him on in 12/18/24 months he'll be worth more. Particularly if we know there's interest and we can trigger his extension.

16 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I think the former will be handled by Seddon and hopefully Kaleta.

I agree that we definitely still need a 10 and I'd hope we show a similar level of spending/ambition in bringing in a key role, but time will tell...

On the 3-year thing, not sure he'd have signed for much else given his family situation. It gives him some stability and also means if we sell him on in 12/18/24 months he'll be worth more. Particularly if we know there's interest and we can trigger his extension.

3yr deal is great for us if he's a roaring success. If he is Connor Shields v2 then we're humped haha.

You'd hope with Ketts media comments the other day that the reported fee is incorrect, then we should have plenty of the Bair money left to pay real money for a decent 10. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Good to see Stavros Tomatoapocalypse in the building.

Hat trick v Ross County a cert.

The Crawford Baptism, as it's known in the trade.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If there are good number 10s available for that price, they

The Crawford Baptism, as it's known in the trade.

Ahhhh I was at that infamous game back in 1986, thought we had signed a superstar then