2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Surely we're not going to sign a 5th striker?   

Kettlewell has had 3 transfer windows and the entire team is almost his now. We can’t keep throwing money at him until he gets it right or we’ll end up with another Alexander-type bloated squad that the next manager will have to clean up.

That said, he must still have cash for some creative players. 

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Kettlewell has had 3 transfer windows and the entire team is almost his now. We can’t keep throwing money at him until he gets it right or we’ll end up with another Alexander-type bloated squad that the next manager will have to clean up.

That said, he must still have cash for some creative players. 

You'd think so. Looking at the squad as a whole there's a dearth of pace and creatiivty in it. Surely 2 fundamental requirements when you are able to build a complete squad?

• Thanks 1

I thought AvS looked very good yesterday in his brief cameo.

He may not be able to last 90 mins, but he wasnt way off the pace, got stuck in and had plenty of touches of the ball.

Looks far more suited to holding the ball up and linking play than Moses or Robinson.

Hopefully he can get up to speed quickly and nail down a starting place.

Given our injuries, a couple of midfielders would seem to be more of a priority than another striker.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Given our injuries, a couple of midfielders would seem to be more of a priority than another striker.

Aye, given Nicholson seems to be out for a longer time, we absolutely need some creativity in there. It was good to see Callachan and Sparrow on the bench at least. You'd have to expect that come September about 50% of those starting yesterday won't be in the regular XI; Wilson, Casey, Blaney, Halliday and one of Moses and Robinson. 

I do agree with others that Davor playing in a midfield with a back three doesn't make a lot of sense; his role in there is somewhat nullified by having the three CBs.

It worked for the most part last season, but I'd argue that's because the two playing in front of him were more dynamic/able to take the ball from him and drive forward, which we simply don't have right now. 

Playing Miller as a 10 also isn't working; he's our most creative midfielder of those fit (obviously) but he's far, far more effective playing as a deep lying playmaker in a three, with a ball winner and a 10 in front of him.

• Haha 1

Might be jumping the gun but signing Sparrow seems to have been pointless considering he's probably 7th choice in Cm.

That area is bloated and full of very average players. Callahan, Halliday, Sparrow, Davor none of which your desperate to see start. I'm not Patons biggest fan but i at least see what he offers in terms of his ball-carrying ability. Lennon obviously starts and they clearly are looking at bringing through Dylan Wells this season. Add in Nicholson and Slattery when they're back their's 8 players ahead of him.

Anyone know when Slattery is due back feel like he's not really been mentioned in the press confrences.

2 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

Might be jumping the gun but signing Sparrow seems to have been pointless considering he's probably 7th choice in Cm.

That area is bloated and full of very average players. Callahan, Halliday, Sparrow, Davor none of which your desperate to see start. I'm not Patons biggest fan but i at least see what he offers in terms of his ball-carrying ability. Lennon obviously starts and they clearly are looking at bringing through Dylan Wells this season. Add in Nicholson and Slattery when they're back their's 8 players ahead of him.

Anyone know when Slattery is due back feel like he's not really been mentioned in the press confrences.

November 

Saw a report on line that 'key member of the defence' Stuperevic is out for the season. Given the content of the report, it may be bollocks.....apparently he was a key member of our defence in pre season....

4 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Saw a report on line that 'key member of the defence' Stuperevic is out for the season. Given the content of the report, it may be bollocks.....apparently he was a key member of our defence in pre season....

It's Nicholson that's out for the season.  Giving him a 2 year deal was idiotic. 

Stuparevic has a hamstring injury. He doesn't seem to have settled in very well. 

Are we signing crocks or is there is something we are going in training that puts players out for months on end? It’s never just a week or so and it’s happened far too often to too many players over the last year for it just to be bad luck. 

Nicholson being out is another hammer blow and Stuparevic carrying an injury too just makes our start to the season all the more chaotic. 

I think Nicholson is out  for "months", whatever that means. That being the case, I suspect we'll need to bring in 1 attacking midfielder on loan for say 6 months and 1 on a permanent deal. How easy that will be I don't know, but presumably planning for that began some time ago.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think Nicholson is out  for "months", whatever that means. That being the case, I suspect we'll need to bring in 1 attacking midfielder on loan for say 6 months and 1 on a permanent deal. How easy that will be I don't know, but presumably planning for that began some time ago.

When everyone is fit we are going to have some size of squad with a lot of them not getting very much game time. I thought the plan this season was quality not quantity it's early days so I hope the new arrivals so far live up to the quality tag.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

No doubt we’ll bring in at least two more full backs on deadline day. 

3 hours ago, MJC said:

Are we signing crocks or is there is something we are going in training that puts players out for months on end? It’s never just a week or so and it’s happened far too often to too many players over the last year for it just to be bad luck. 

Nicholson being out is another hammer blow and Stuparevic carrying an injury too just makes our start to the season all the more chaotic. 

That’s what gets me too. Never, miss a game or two, it’s months at a time. 

With Nicholson now out for the foreseeable, it seems like the ongoing policy of signing injury prone players continues to be a gamble not worth taking. If he was brought in to replace Spittal, it can only be described as madness. Yes, Kettlewell has made us buck with Bair, but at the same time, I wonder how much he has spaffed up the wall on known crocks and duds over his three transfer windows. He's making life really difficult for himself here. 

Two creative attacking midfielders should now be at the top of the shopping list before the window closes. Anything else is madness, but we all saw last season, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

14 minutes ago, wellfan said:

With Nicholson now out for the foreseeable, it seems like the ongoing policy of signing injury prone players continues to be a gamble not worth taking. If he was brought in to replace Spittal, it can only be described as madness. Yes, Kettlewell has made us buck with Bair, but at the same time, I wonder how much he has spaffed up the wall on known crocks and duds over his three transfer windows. He's making life really difficult for himself here. 

Two creative attacking midfielders should now be at the top of the shopping list before the window closes. Anything else is madness, but we all saw last season, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

How many of the players were in fact known crocks though? I dont recall Nicholson being flagged as injury prone when he signed and Slattery and Paton certainly werent.

I will give you Obika, which was a pretty obvious one but would we have been any happier if he had ditched Obika in favour of Mandron?

We do seem to catch more than our fair share of injuries though, so maybe ine of the players SK engineered out the door last season put a curse on us!

PS.......Im going to have to go back now and check his signings just to see how bad it has been!

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

So no serious injury since 2019?

Id hardly call that a crock. He only missed 6 games in that time period.

Looking back, I will give you Pape Soare. Id forgotten he even existed.

Looking at the other signings only Ross Callachan would appear to have had a significant injury at the time of signing.

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

So no serious injury since 2019?

Id hardly call that a crock. He only missed 6 games in that time period.

Looking back, I will give you Pape Soare. Id forgotten he even existed.

Looking at the other signings only Ross Callachan would appear to have had a significant injury at the time of signing.

Signing a 29-year-old, likely as Spittal's replacement, who has a history of serious knee injuries (15/16 & 16/17 knee injury and surgery; 23/24 cruciate ligament injury) was a gamble, and now look who's out with another serious knee injury. This is Kettlewell's most recent faux pas, and there are others. We're going to end up with a massive and expensive squad again, just to replace the donkeys and crocks he continues to sign, which the next manager will have to undo, again. It's so predictable and infuriating, and it's what happens when you let inexperience and stubbornness loose with the chequebook. 

15 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Signing a 29-year-old, likely as Spittal's replacement, who has a history of serious knee injuries (15/16 & 16/17 knee injury and surgery; 23/24 cruciate ligament injury) was a gamble, and now look who's out with another serious knee injury. This is Kettlewell's most recent faux pas, and there are others. We're going to end up with a massive and expensive squad again, just to replace the donkeys and crocks he continues to sign, which the next manager will have to undo, again. It's so predictable and infuriating, and it's what happens when you let inexperience and stubbornness loose with the chequebook. 

How can you blame SK for Nicholson getting injured ffs, you don't sign a player by using "he's been injured before so it might happen again" as a reason. 

He obviously passed a medical etc so how is it a mistake, every footballer in the world has been injured at some point in their careers. Sk can be blamed for a few things but trying to pin this on him is just nonsense.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

How can you blame SK for Nicholson getting injured ffs, you don't sign a player by using "he's been injured before so it might happen again" as a reason. 

He obviously passed a medical etc so how is it a mistake, every footballer in the world has been injured at some point in their careers. Sk can be blamed for a few things but trying to pin this on him is just nonsense.

He was well overweight when signed. Probably avoiding doing anything that would stress his dodgy knee when he was out of contract. We were the mugs that signed him.

34 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He was well overweight when signed. Probably avoiding doing anything that would stress his dodgy knee when he was out of contract. We were the mugs that signed him.

I agree this time with you steelboy. Nicholson actually said himself on one of the after match videos last season when asked if he could replicate his super goal he said words along lines of Well maybe if I still had 2 working knees ankles and hips. I was shocked at the time.

• Like 3

Are there any ready made replacements for Blair Spittal that are reasonable to expect we could go for? That feels like the biggest priority for me (assuming Stamatelopoulos can live up to the billing)

17 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

I agree this time with you steelboy. Nicholson actually said himself on one of the after match videos last season when asked if he could replicate his super goal he said words along lines of Well maybe if I still had 2 working knees ankles and hips. I was shocked at the time.

So Nicholson is a chancer now , a self proclaimed gone wrong, who no doubt conned the doctors, physios, coaching staff etc to gain a contract. And you were shocked at the time, aye OK then ffs what a load of shite 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So Nicholson is a chancer now , a self proclaimed gone wrong, who no doubt conned the doctors, physios, coaching staff etc to gain a contract. And you were shocked at the time, aye OK then ffs what a load of shite 🤦‍♂️

Calm yourself doon .Just repeating what he said. And stop insinuating what I'm saying as your perception is a wee bit different to mine. If a player says what he said if your not shocked with it then I know what's a load of shite . Eloquently put.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

If I buy a secondhand older vehicle with a known history of breakdowns to a specific part, and I do so because I really like it and it's maybe cheaper than others, it's entirely my fault if it breaks down again on me. If I'm willing to accept that risk, I would buy it as a backup car and not my main car, due to the risk of it being out of action at times. In this scenario, where things break down again after a know history of breakdowns, the buyer carries the can; not the player or anyone else. Nicholson isn't a chancer, but Kettlewell took a chance on him. 

Add in what @gaz7 said above, which I also watched and was a little shocked at, it's staggering that someone with a known, as well as self-proclaimed history of dodgy knees was brought in on that deal and in such an important position to supposedly cover the loss of Spittal. He was a risky signing and now we're paying for it, as he requires to be replaced this month and at short notice. I wish the guy a speedy recovery.