2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

10 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I don't get the hate for Blaney, far superior to Lamie or Mugabi who were good for a brain fart or three a game. 

And I don't get the love for Blaney, as he makes just as many mistakes. He passes straight to opponents in danger areas 2 or 3 times a game, loses his man too often for my liking and has the same brain fart ratio as all our central defenders from last season.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

And I don't get the love for Blaney, as he makes just as many mistakes. He passes straight to opponents in danger areas 2 or 3 times a game, loses his man too often for my liking and has the same brain fart ratio as all our central defenders from last season.

Pretty much how I see it, others are, of course, free to differ. 

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It's not love for Blaney from my part, I'm not going to over sell the guys credentials but it's funny how people view things differently as I don't really see him doing much of what you suggested. The only real mistake I remember from Blaney was against Rangers at Fir Park last year but outwith that he's been no worse with the ball than others in different positions. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pretzel said:

It's not love for Blaney from my part, I'm not going to over sell the guys credentials but it's funny how people view things differently as I don't really see him doing much of what you suggested. The only real mistake I remember from Blaney was against Rangers at Fir Park last year but outwith that he's been no worse with the ball than others in different positions. 

I generally like him but Montrose's goal and a lack of concentration v Roos County almost cost us us goal. Fortunately the chance fell to Jordan White and he has the first touch of a shire horse.

3 hours ago, pretzel said:

I don't get the hate for Blaney, far superior to Lamie or Mugabi who were good for a brain fart or three a game. 

Lamie and Mugabi were both inconsistent but in their spells of good form I think they've both shown more than Blaney has up to now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Lamie and Mugabi were both inconsistent but in their spells of good form I think they've both shown more than Blaney has up to now.

Not for me but each to their own. Always felt anxious watching that pair I've never really had that with Blaney, he has always seemed generally consistent. Whereas we can rhyme off the Lamie and Mugabi horror shows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I personally think Blaney is more consistent than Lamie, and certainly than Mugabi. Sure, both of those guys were known to turn in a 8/9 out of 10 on occasion, but they dropped more 5/6 out of 10 than Blaney does. I'd rank Blaney as a 7/10 on most occasions, which I prefer.

3 hours ago, David said:

I personally think Blaney is more consistent than Lamie, and certainly than Mugabi. Sure, both of those guys were known to turn in a 8/9 out of 10 on occasion, but they dropped more 5/6 out of 10 than Blaney does. I'd rank Blaney as a 7/10 on most occasions, which I prefer.

Blaney avoids defending. That's why he rarely makes errors. Constantly backing off. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, David said:

I agree that Blaney is more consistent than Lamie and Mugabi, but I'd put his level at about 5 or 6 /10.  On the basis of the games that I've seen this season, he put in poor performances against Montrose, Partick and Ross County. Although I've seen little of Balmer, I'd say that Blaney is the weakest of our central defenders. Its debatable, in my book, if he's good enough even for back up at this level. No doubt an honest pro though and he's probably doing his best.

16 hours ago, David said:

I would agree with that, I have no issues with Blaney as he has always seemed a decent enough defender.

Lamie enjoyed that wee purple patch which I think papers over some of his horror shows. At times Mugabi would look excellent after a run of games dominating in the air and so forth but he always had that massive error in his locker which we paid for numerous times.

The injuries are actually depressing, we won't see Slattery and Paton until Christmas (if we're lucky).

In recent times we have lost the likes of Carroll, Hartley, Fox, and Tanner to horrible injuries in training. With Hammell as manager, you can accept the likes of Aarons and Moult given their respective histories but Mandron lasted a couple of games before he was out for months. I didn't think we could top last season with injuries.

As someone that has been a big supporter of Kettlewell, my patience is starting to wear a little thin over our summer recruitment. With the repeated narrative that we have the 10/11th lowest budget and that there is no room to carry passengers, it baffles me that we have signed two injury prone players, Nicholson and Callachan, in an area of the park that we needed reliable reinforcements.

Not only that, we appear to have signed a number of players from outwith Scotland that despite being here for most of pre-season are still not to the level required to contribute. Of course, some of these players may come good in time, like Gent last year, but having lost Kelly, Gent, Spittal and Bair surely we had to be signing one or two more that had the profile and credentials of a Liam Gordon to hit the ground running. 

All parties deserve great credit for the Bair project but we are now going to have to needlessly spend a fair proportion of that income to get us back on an even keel. 

• Like 1

The Callachan situation really is incredible,  were obvious injury concerns but hey have a one year contract.  Makes bench on Saturday and SK gives him 25 mins and suddenly out with hamstring injury.

But I am sure he's a nice guy so will no doubt get a coaching role at end of season.    End of rant 🤪🤪

We're getting our fingers burnt too often now taking chances on players with sketchy injury records,I get there going to be easy enough to sign and fit well within our budget but we're now going to have to shell out again to find replacements.i get players can get injured at anytime but we really have to stay away from bringing guys in that struggle with injuries.we badly need a couple of signings that can come straight into the team and make a difference.