2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Was he not injured during the match? If not fair do's but again if it's someone getting injured during a training session something ain't right

It was more about Kettlewell ‘stupidly’ bringing on one of our subs - strange comment.

Are people seriously suggesting that whatever happens at training sessions is somehow contributing to players getting injured?

Yes we have more than our fair share of injuries right now but these can happen at any time, a player can get out of bed the wrong way and injure himself ffs

The amount of players we have out just now is just bad luck nothing more sinister so let's just all move on, nothing to see here.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

It was more about Kettlewell ‘stupidly’ bringing on one of our subs - strange comment.

Just my opinion bud.  I don't think Callachan was anywhere near ready first team action so I don't understand why he even brought him on.  If you think strange comment then fair enough, that's your opinion which I respect

• Like 1

Roll on my holiday,  maybe taking a wee break from here will be good for everyone.   Outwith the terrible jokes  I am usually one of the more upbeat posters on here. I don't right off players off after 20 mins,  I have for the majority of time backed the manager but hey minute I dare criticise him it has obviously caused an issue.   At end of day no one wants things to improve more than me and if come a few months and Kettlewell has us playing well then guess who will be first on here putting his hand up apologising? Exactly. 

End of day we all have varied opinions which is great.....jeez it would be dull if we all agreed.......COYW

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Roll on my holiday,  maybe taking a wee break from here will be good for everyone.   Outwith the terrible jokes  I am usually one of the more upbeat posters on here. I don't right off players off after 20 mins,  I have for the majority of time backed the manager but hey minute I dare criticise him it has obviously caused an issue.   At end of day no one wants things to improve more than me and if come a few months and Kettlewell has us playing well then guess who will be first on here putting his hand up apologising? Exactly. 

End of day we all have varied opinions which is great.....jeez it would be dull if we all agreed.......COYW

Where are you off to?

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Adriatic cruise.....cannae wait pal.   Biggest fear is Mrs grizzly requesting to captain I walk the gangplank!!

Doing one in September, Ravenna, Dubrovnik and stuff, enjoy.

18 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Adriatic cruise.....cannae wait pal.   Biggest fear is Mrs grizzly requesting to captain I walk the gangplank!!

Spread the word in Dubrovnik! I managed to stir up interest in our hotel about the Well. Enjoy. 

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

Are these players and others unable to play due to injury or not? If so, they are the dictionary definition of crocked. Some were signed with a history of being crocked and some have become crocked for whatever reason (e.g bad luck, poor player management, chocolate legs, etc.). Calling them crocks does not mean they've been written off, as you say, it simply means they're currently unable to play and so are useless to us right now. Unfortunately for us, we have a lot of crocks in our squad, which is a great concern given we're only 2 games deep into the season. 

I suppose it depends on your definition and use of the word.

When I see it used, I think of a player with a poor injury record that will continue to be unavailable due to a poor injury record.

Im thinking Obika. And tbf, it could reasonably be used in his case and was proved to be so.

Im not sure any of the players that we have signed are likely to be crocks in that regard. Sure we have a few who currently have bad injuries, but does that mean they wont be available for the rest of the season?

It could well turn out that way. Im just not sure it isnt too early to judge right now.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Have a good one Grizzly.

Hopefully we might have one or two back for your return.

Who knows. Maybe even a couple.of loanees! 

14 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

David.... I am not thick so certainly don't think players like you say pull up in Cortinas.....stub out cigarettes etc etc. I give very fair posts and always try to be positive. 

I don't believe for one minute we are signing injured players but something is not right when these guys are getting injured without even playing or just featuring for a few mins and pulling up.   Yes bad luck can be a factor but with 8 injured?  Paton...Blaney injuries were part and parcel and unfortunate but Slattery...Koutrombis...Callachan...Stuparevic....Stama all seem muscular.   Now Kettlewell ain't a sports scientist but his fitness team must need seriously looked at.

Again bud that is my opinion which I am entitled to.  You certainly give your opinion plenty of times which I totally respect.    That's why the forum is a good thing.    COYW

I should have clarified that my reply to you in particular ended when I went on to say "as for the current lot of injuries." At that point I was just chatting in general.

13 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Just my opinion bud.  I don't think Callachan was anywhere near ready first team action so I don't understand why he even brought him on.  If you think strange comment then fair enough, that's your opinion which I respect

This is part of the issue I have with how fans are looking at this situation. We think that Callachan wasn't anywhere near ready for first team action. Based on what? We don't see him in training? We don't have the medical teams assessments to hand? If he's being picked to play it's because he's been cleared to do so. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, David said:

This is part of the issue I have with how fans are looking at this situation. We think that Callachan wasn't anywhere near ready for first team action. Based on what? We don't see him in training? We don't have the medical teams assessments to hand? If he's being picked to play it's because he's been cleared to do so. 

Proof is in the pudding. Another 6 weeks out 👍🏼

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ropy said:

What about Seddon and Kaleta?

From what I've seen of Kaleta he looked like more a defensive wing-back which is not what you need in the system we are currently playing. Seddon looks not too bad tbf so a Lwb maybe not as big a priority as a RWB for me.

4 hours ago, Mootherwell86 said:

Proof is in the pudding. Another 6 weeks out 👍🏼

Ah, well, that completely overrides any professional opinions the manager would have gotten from the medical team. "Proof is in the pudding."

😂

4 minutes ago, David said:

Ah, well, that completely overrides any professional opinions the manager would have gotten from the medical team. "Proof is in the pudding."

😂 

Would a player with no preseason be more susceptible to muscle injuries? Of course they would be. In Stamas case it was a risk that should not have been taken. 

In terms of Callachan, playing him 20 minutes given his injury history and lack of any match fitness proved to be too much for him. 

I am not blaming Kettlewell for all of our injuries. That would be ridiculous. However, his decision making yesterday has left him open to justified criticism. 

Other opinions are allowed holier than thou’ David. 

😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mootherwell86 said:

Would a player with no preseason be more susceptible to muscle injuries? Of course they would be. In Stamas case it was a risk that should not have been taken. 

In terms of Callachan, playing him 20 minutes given his injury history and lack of any match fitness proved to be too much for him. 

I am not blaming Kettlewell for all of our injuries. That would be ridiculous. However, his decision making yesterday has left him open to justified criticism. 

Other opinions are allowed holier than thou’ David. 

I'm not offering an opinion on the matter. I am neither a qualified medical expert nor a manager privy to the players' fitness and capability data from the medical team.

My point is that we, as supporters, can certainly hold opinions, but they are based on a fraction of the information required to make a sound judgement.

Kettlewell would have selected the player based on details provided by the medical team. I seriously doubt he was informed the player was at risk of injury and decided to play him regardless.

There will always be unforeseeable elements when it comes to fitness and the human body. However, the manager will have been thoroughly briefed beforehand about which players are deemed fit enough to play, and he is likely acting on that information. That is the role of the medical team.

Fans (myself included) might well assign blame based on their personal views, and that's absolutely fine. Yet, they are very likely incorrect as they lack all the necessary facts and details. That's simply the way it is.

4 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not offering an opinion on the matter. I am neither a qualified medical expert nor a manager privy to the players' fitness and capability data from the medical team.

My point is that we, as supporters, can certainly hold opinions, but they are based on a fraction of the information required to make a sound judgement.

Kettlewell would have selected the player based on details provided by the medical team. I seriously doubt he was informed the player was at risk of injury and decided to play him regardless.

There will always be unforeseeable elements when it comes to fitness and the human body. However, the manager will have been thoroughly briefed beforehand about which players are deemed fit enough to play, and he is likely acting on that information. That is the role of the medical team.

Fans (myself included) might well assign blame based on their personal views, and that's absolutely fine. Yet, they are very likely incorrect as they lack all the necessary facts and details. That's simply the way it is.

Agree to disagree 👍🏼

1 minute ago, Mootherwell86 said:

Agree to disagree 👍🏼

That's fair enough, I just don't see what there is to disagree about? Unless you think the medical team aren't providing detailed fitness reports and recommendations on who should play? Or do you think they are and Kettlewell is just ignoring them? Or do you think the medical team is getting it totally wrong and advising the manager to play players who aren't fit?

Again, I'm not posting my opinion here, so it's not a case of me being right. It's just how it usually works with clubs these days when it comes to the fitness of players.

46 minutes ago, David said:

That's fair enough, I just don't see what there is to disagree about? Unless you think the medical team aren't providing detailed fitness reports and recommendations on who should play? Or do you think they are and Kettlewell is just ignoring them? Or do you think the medical team is getting it totally wrong and advising the manager to play players who aren't fit?

Again, I'm not posting my opinion here, so it's not a case of me being right. It's just how it usually works with clubs these days when it comes to the fitness of players.

The medical team don’t exactly have a great history in picking up injuries 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yodo said:

The medical team don’t exactly have a great history in picking up injuries 

Based on what? Is that picking them up before or after the injuries happen, the players dont get an examination every day, so did it ever occur to you they might be perfectly OK when signed, checked or whenever they get examined and after subsequent training or a match another injury is picked up. Or are you implying the medical team, coaching staff etc are just being negligent in their duties by playing players they know to be injured 🤔 

34 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Based on what? Is that picking them up before or after the injuries happen, the players dont get an examination every day, so did it ever occur to you they might be perfectly OK when signed, checked or whenever they get examined and after subsequent training or a match another injury is picked up. Or are you implying the medical team, coaching staff etc are just being negligent in their duties by playing players they know to be injured 🤔 

That’s due to players we sign who are carrying injuries and haven’t appeared in the team yet plus we also sign known crocs everybody in Scottish fitba knows their crocs but the charity MFC will see them get a contract 

Signing a player Callaghan on a year contract with a history of injuries with an option of a further year is criminal that for me sounds like the exact same situation as Obika!

Kettlewell can not tell me that signing players like that on contracts like that in the hope they will be fit nevermind be half decent is not how to use club funds properly  when we are constantly be told not got an endless wealth of money.