2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

12 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Signing a player Callaghan on a year contract with a history of injuries with an option of a further year is criminal that for me sounds like the exact same situation as Obika!

Kettlewell can not tell me that signing players like that on contracts like that in the hope they will be fit nevermind be half decent is not how to use club funds properly  when we are constantly be told not got an endless wealth of money.

I agree totally with this.  Kettlewell thinking "hey I signed Bair" attitude.   At least Bair was fully fit. Callachan smacks of old pals act, again if I am proved wrong I apologise but Kettlewell can't plead. Poverty when wages are being wasted

On 8/10/2024 at 8:24 PM, David said:

Kettlewell would have brought him on after receiving advice from the medical team that he was fit to play. It's not just a case of the player saying he feels okay and the manager chucking him on and seeing what happens.

Same with Slattery. The medical staff would have looked at him and given the manager and the CEO an appraisal that would have been used to decide on signing him again or not. Personally, I wouldn't have signed him again, but I don't think the manager was told that Slattery or anyone else was an injury risk and just went ahead and pushed the move through.

The same goes for every new signing we made. There will have been detailed medical reports poured over by the medical team, examinations carried out, all manner of tests and suchlike. All of that will have been taken into account before a contract is signed. 

As for the current lot of injuries, a lot of it does just come down to luck. 

There's a lot more goes into what players do on a daily basis these days. They don't just pull up in their Ford Cortina's, stub out a smoke, and wander in to kick the ball about and run laps for a few hours anymore.

There's strength and conditioning, there's tactical work, and so on. 

I'd be very surprised if the relevant personnel at the club aren't looking into the injuries, what caused them, and why. 

I agree with you and I've also seen posts on social media blaming Kettlewell for Blaney, Slattery and Patons injuries. Two happened on the field of play and I believe Slattery did his ACL by catching his studs in the grass. A freak injury 

23 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

David.... I am not thick so certainly don't think players like you say pull up in Cortinas.....stub out cigarettes etc etc. I give very fair posts and always try to be positive. 

I don't believe for one minute we are signing injured players but something is not right when these guys are getting injured without even playing or just featuring for a few mins and pulling up.   Yes bad luck can be a factor but with 8 injured?  Paton...Blaney injuries were part and parcel and unfortunate but Slattery...Koutrombis...Callachan...Stuparevic....Stama all seem muscular.   Now Kettlewell ain't a sports scientist but his fitness team must need seriously looked at.

Again bud that is my opinion which I am entitled to.  You certainly give your opinion plenty of times which I totally respect.    That's why the forum is a good thing.    COYW

Slattery caught his studs in the turf. A freak injury and nothing that the club or Kettlewell can be blamed for

4 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Signing a player Callaghan on a year contract with a history of injuries with an option of a further year is criminal that for me sounds like the exact same situation as Obika!

Kettlewell can not tell me that signing players like that on contracts like that in the hope they will be fit nevermind be half decent is not how to use club funds properly  when we are constantly be told not got an endless wealth of money.

So who do we sign 

6 hours ago, Mootherwell86 said:

Would a player with no preseason be more susceptible to muscle injuries? Of course they would be. In Stamas case it was a risk that should not have been taken. 

In terms of Callachan, playing him 20 minutes given his injury history and lack of any match fitness proved to be too much for him. 

I am not blaming Kettlewell for all of our injuries. That would be ridiculous. However, his decision making yesterday has left him open to justified criticism. 

Other opinions are allowed holier than thou’ David. 

😂

He stopped playing in April in Australia I believe and then he was called up for the national team. He also said in interviews that he was keeping his own fitness up and I believe he took part in the game against Everton. He's not exactly had no minutes coming into this game and part of the reason Kettlewell put him on was surely because of injury to other players - what is the manager supposed to do with so many other players out

Other players we have just now have had muscle injuries with a full pre season behind them 

Also. Do we think the player was forced to play against his will. I highly doubt it 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

If Caldwell rates Halliday, Callachan and Nicholson then aye he's a mug. 

Never been a fan of Callaghan - mainly because he was at Accies - but these three are all SPL level players that can do a job for mid to bottom half teams like ours. The injuries are unfortunate but I can see why SK signed them and how they would have strengthened our weak midfield.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Does Caldwell need to personally rate a player's ability before we sign them?

You'd like to think the CEO trusts the manager's judgement on signings, because that's the manager's job and the CEO's job is to deal with the mechanics of completing signings along with the CFO/FD, but you could also imagine that the CEO may begin to second-guess the manager's judgement once the club ends up with a significant proportion of its wage budget attributed to crocked signings. In this scenario, it would only be natural for the CEO to raise questions because the pot of cash is limited and being wasteful is not in either of their job descriptions. 

• Like 1

I seem to remember Caldwell saying that he trusts Dawes and Kettlewell to figure out who they want and he then sorts the deals thereafter. I think it was mentioned in one of his interviews in May or June.

Not entirely sure he has as much input as some would like to think he has, beyond going and executing what the other two want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Never been a fan of Callaghan - mainly because he was at Accies - but these three are all SPL level players that can do a job for mid to bottom half teams like ours. The injuries are unfortunate but I can see why SK signed them and how they would have strengthened our weak midfield.

Its having all 3 here at once that's weakening our midfield,throw in the likes of davor and our options in there are dire.we have surrounded our best asset in miller with guys that can't run or tackle,even this early it's plain too see our midfield is a massive problem that is going to get outfought and outrun most weeks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mfc said:

Its having all 3 here at once that's weakening our midfield,throw in the likes of davor and our options in there are dire.we have surrounded our best asset in miller with guys that can't run or tackle,even this early it's plain too see our midfield is a massive problem that is going to get outfought and outrun most weeks.

Totally agree due to the poor midfield recruitment we are pinning our hopes on a 17 year old lad thats carrying the burden on his shoulders its going to end up with him running himself into the ground or picking up an injury that keeps him out for while already playing with something i am lead to believe.

12 hours ago, wellgirl said:

So who do we sign 

Pretty sure if i had the online tools that they have i would be able to find a player in world football that hasnt had an extensive injury list that would be fit to play.This was a pick up the phone jobby and you can not tell me giving a player that was out for a whole season and a bit is a good use of club funds nobody will convince that is.

13 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Totally agree due to the poor midfield recruitment we are pinning our hopes on a 17 year old lad thats carrying the burden on his shoulders its going to end up with him running himself into the ground or picking up an injury that keeps him out for while already playing with something i am lead to believe.

Pretty sure if i had the online tools that they have i would be able to find a player in world football that hasnt had an extensive injury list that would be fit to play.This was a pick up the phone jobby and you can not tell me giving a player that was out for a whole season and a bit is a good use of club funds nobody will convince that is.

You think it's as easy as just picking up the phone to get new signings in particularly when we are competing against other clubs who can offer better terms. 

5 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

You think it's as easy as just picking up the phone to get new signings in particularly when we are competing against other clubs who can offer better terms. 

Nobody is saying it's easy to get players to sign for us but settling for the likes of callaghan and halliday should not be happening,were never going to improve with the likes of them on the books and the prospect of having callaghan here again next season is shocking whatever way you try and dress it up 

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

Nobody is saying it's easy to get players to sign for us but settling for the likes of callaghan and halliday should not be happening,were never going to improve with the likes of them on the books and the prospect of having callaghan here again next season is shocking whatever way you try and dress it up 

Im not trying to dress anything up. Some people are saying that it's easy to get players in - that's the post I was responding to. As for Callachan - surely once he's fit people can make a decision on him. He's only signed for one season with the option of another. 

18 hours ago, Yodo said:

The medical team don’t exactly have a great history in picking up injuries 

I actually think if anyone is wishing to assign blame, then the medical team is just as viable a candidate as the manager, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, David said:

I actually think if anyone is wishing to assign blame, then the medical team is just as viable a candidate as the manager, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

But as the manager said at the ? & answer night he takes the blame for everything 

I genuinely can't believe there are people on here openly suggesting that they believe we only signed injury prone players because there were no other players available to sign due to competition from other teams.

The reality, that some seem unwilling to concede or even entertain the possibility, is that we seem to have an issue with our signing policy, and it's not just this window. It can't all be bad luck. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I genuinely can't believe there are people on here openly suggesting that they believe we only signed injury prone players because there were no other players available to sign due to competition from other teams.

The reality, that some seem unwilling to concede or even entertain the possibility, is that we seem to have an issue with our signing policy, and it's not just this window. It can't all be bad luck. 

I take your point but for me i think the reality is that the players we are signing are first and foremost the ones we can afford, and are willing to come to the Shire to play football.

Yes certain players have a longer history of injuries than others but if one of those players is available and affordable and wants to join the club, and SK and the staff think they will improve the team, are we really going to say no thanks we are concerned  with your injury record.

Using that approach we will sign nobody, Louis Moult would fit that category but he seems to be doing OK at Tannadice, so yes the Injuries are unfortunate but no reason not to sign a player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I take your point but for me i think the reality is that the players we are signing are first and foremost the ones we can afford, and are willing to come to the Shire to play football.

Yes certain players have a longer history of injuries than others but if one of those players is available and affordable and wants to join the club, and SK and the staff think they will improve the team, are we really going to say no thanks we are concerned  with your injury record.

Using that approach we will sign nobody, Louis Moult would fit that category but he seems to be doing OK at Tannadice, so yes the Injuries are unfortunate but no reason not to sign a player.

Never mind if they are injured or not none of these players that are out will bring any quality to the team . We have signed plenty back up players now is the time to bring in 4 quality players