2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

Watt easily has more quality than the majority of our current squad combined. Although he probably won’t be the same player we had last time, let’s not forget that he’s the player who single-handedly dragged us across the finish line on multiple occasions during his time with us. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Is this for real? where did this nightmare rumour come from surely not the return of Twatt 😱

I think there was talk for the past week of him returning, sounds like a loan deal initially with United picking up a hefty amount of the tab.

22 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Watt easily has more quality than the majority of our current squad combined. Although he probably won’t be the same player we had last time, let’s not forget that he’s the player who single-handedly dragged us across the finish line on multiple occasions during his time with us. 

I agree on his ability and as you say if he scores goals and we win games then I probably won't care, but the fact he's an arsehole of a man who did not conduct himself well when he left us still rankles me and I suspect a few others as well.

The way Watt left was a disgrace (on his part)

However, he is better than what we have and did single handidly drag our team along for large parts of the season.

It does show a lack of self awareness on his part and im not sure how our fans will react.

I will give him support for no more reason than he is a Motherwell player

• Like 1

When I saw it on pie and bov yesterday I was like god no but you know what - we need someone that can score goals (obviously) and if he does the job that's fine by me. I wasn't happy with the way he Ieft either but I'm happier than I thought I would be to see him back. 

It just gets more bizarre,  he didn't exactly do much at St Mirren last season.  Really getting fed up with this let's sign former players. Especially one who left us in the way he did.  However nae pressure Tony but if you don't hit the ground running then it will be very uncomfortable. 

And at same time he will be wearing the claret and amber so will get my support

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Pretty much every single player we sign is a gamble on one level or another. They're either unproven at our level, older guys whose best days are behind them and we're hoping to squeeze a couple of seasons out of them or guys who have had injuries that we might not have been able to sign if they didn't have a couple of dents in them. And most clubs our size are doing the same thing (St Mirren signed Dunne and O'Hara from ourselves with their injury records, Dundee United went for Moult). Are other clubs simply being luckier or are their flaws in our training methods or physio/medical approach? That's a separate question.. 

Even our signings that have worked out in the past have been gambles

Moult, Kiprè and Marvin Johnson? All unproven at our level.

Aldred? Persona non grata at a shite Bury team. 

Chris Porter, we were told that we would never keep him fit.

Tony Watt? Lazy, wouldn't apply himself.

Basically there's no guarantees when we sign any player one way or another..

The only signing I perhaps have an issue with is Callachan. While Halliday (played loads of European games, experienced player to help an inexperienced midfield) and Nicholson (decent pedigree) have records that you could argue justify a gamble on them, I'm not sure you could say the same about Callachan's history...

Older posters will doubtless recall signings made in the Bobby Howitt like Jackie McInally (Kilmarnock) Jimmy Wilson (Aberdeen) Billy Campbell (Dundee), Billy Ritchie (Rangers), John Fallon (Celtic). All very much in the “older guys whose best days are behind them” category. So nothing has changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Also it's a creative midfielder we need, no point signing strikers when we have no one to create the chances 

We have created chances though albeit few against rangers. Ultimately it's been taking them that's been the problem so far. We're only 2 games in and I feel positive that we have decent firepower in the squad. Once Robinson gets off the mark I think we'll see a player there.

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Also it's a creative midfielder we need, no point signing strikers when we have no one to create the chances 

I always thought we missed Watt's intelligence (I know) up front more than his goals, most of which came in the purple patch that convinced Utd to shell out. He's never a lone striker, but hopefully he can help one of the other guys kick on - as long as that's Kettlewell's plan. 

• Like 1

Knowing Kettlewell and his signing record over 3 transfer windows what's the betting the creative midfielder he goes for is Polworth!! Another player who endeared himself to the fans with his wonderful attitude! (Yep my tongue firmly in cheek)

There was a spell where watt was brilliant for us,if he's up for it and motivated we might just see that again,I've been critical of kettlewell but if anyone can get a tune out of watt then it's him.

In a couple of weeks, when he finds himself 'out injured for a lengthy period'....we can just send him back 🙂

On a more serious note, if Kettlewell can get Watt firing on most of his cylinders again, then he'll be  good signing. he's got the skills. If he turns up as Mr Big Baws and doesn't try a leg, then it'll be a waste of time and money. At least, at the end of the day, his loan can be terminated and sent back. Nothing ventured.....