2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

I’m not a great believer in bringing players back. He was on loan to St Mirren last season - only played 10 games and scored 1 goal. Obviously can't get into the Dundee Utd team. Maybe a bit of a desperation signing by Kettlewell. Time will tell. How many strikers (including the crocks) is that we have now? 🤔

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Spot on Grizzly and grasping this fact seems to be beyond our manager.

Maybe going to play in number 10 role, don't know the thought process of boss...hopefully doesn't mean stam out long term though 

• Like 1

Surely even we're not daft enough to sign Watt to play as a number 9. Kettlewell's obsession with playing two number tens off a striker makes me suspect that Watt has been brought in to play that role and create so more a Nicholson/Stuperavic replacement.

Surely...

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

I agree on his ability and as you say if he scores goals and we win games then I probably won't care, but the fact he's an arsehole of a man who did not conduct himself well when he left us still rankles me and I suspect a few others as well.

Pretty much my view. I'd be more interested why he cant get into the starting 11 of a team promoted .. is it cos he's been pish or as is often said about him a disruptive influence. This is a hard one for me , as an individual I think he's an arse. Whether he's an asset or not it is a real gamble but by fuck we ain't half a home for waifs and strays if they played with us before.

1 hour ago, Claretamberribbon said:

I think Watt is a good signing clearly he left due to Alexander that happens in football, he was brilliant at times for us so hopefully he hits the ground running.

I'm happy to give him a chance 

That's a rewriting of history. Motherwell made him a good offer , Dundee Utd offered him far more. He left cos he wanted to go to Dundee Utd and threatened to down tools if we didn't let him go. Then more or less gave us a two fingered salute, despite all the badge kissing pish. The guys had more clubs than Tiger Woods which shows you the mindset of him as an individual.  However that's all ancient history. He's here and we live with it for good or bad.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

It just gets more bizarre,  he didn't exactly do much at St Mirren last season.  Really getting fed up with this let's sign former players. Especially one who left us in the way he did.  However nae pressure Tony but if you don't hit the ground running then it will be very uncomfortable. 

And at same time he will be wearing the claret and amber so will get my support

its like an obsession with us, if you played for us before you are guaranteed a second gig.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

That's a rewriting of history. Motherwell made him a good offer , Dundee Utd offered him far more. He left cos he wanted to go to Dundee Utd and threatened to down tools if we didn't let him go. Then more or less gave us a two fingered salute, despite all the badge kissing pish. The guys had more clubs than Tiger Woods which shows you the mindset of him as an individual.  However that's all ancient history. He's here and we live with it for good or bad.

Correct he's been a football mercenary all of his career and made a lot of cash from scoring 1 goal against Barcelona. And to be fair you can't argue with that approach we would all do the same so fair play to him.

It's the manner of his departure and his attitude when he went to United that annoys me and no doubt a few others, but as I have said earlier he is more of a natural goal scorer than what we have at the moment so if he starts scoring and we are winning games then I won't be bothered by what's gone before, so I hope SK gets the best from him.

If and it is a big IF Watt can recreate his form and application from his previous spell then he will be the best striker at the club. He has ability and can score goals and that’s what we need.

However if he can’t and more especially if he gets injured or can’t get fit the way Moult didn’t two years ago then this signing will be another black mark against Kettlewell. This signing has to work for both us and the manager. And unlike Moult he’s not coming back on the pedestal and a lot of fans still harbour a lot of resentment towards Watt over the way he left so he will get little leeway. 

Never thought he was a great striker, flicks were mostly either wide or straight at the keeper. Although he did create space and chances for others, also when he was here lastbhe helped out the defence, won free kicks and relieved the pressure so if he repeats that then he could do us a turn. 

At the end of the day he's better  than anything we currently have (at least on paper).

I really couldn't give a shit about his past history it's what he does on the park now that counts.

Hope it works out for both him and us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Players play to earn a living,you said it utd offered him more,a company offers me more,I'm off,loyalty means fuck all, if he's a well jersey on and working his socks off,playing well and scoring,the tony Tony Tony watt song will be sung by the fickle ones.

19 minutes ago, santheman said:

At the end of the day he's better  than anything we currently have (at least on paper).

I really couldn't give a shit about his past history it's what he does on the park now that counts.

Hope it works out for both him and us.

Well said

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Correct he's been a football mercenary all of his career and made a lot of cash from scoring 1 goal against Barcelona. And to be fair you can't argue with that approach we would all do the same so fair play to him.

It's the manner of his departure and his attitude when he went to United that annoys me and no doubt a few others, but as I have said earlier he is more of a natural goal scorer than what we have at the moment so if he starts scoring and we are winning games then I won't be bothered by what's gone before, so I hope SK gets the best from him.

There was stick coming from both sides when he left,could he have handled it better, yes, but ffs we all make mistakes,life goes on

11 minutes ago, Benson said:

Players play to earn a living,you said it utd offered him more,a company offers me more,I'm off,loyalty means fuck all, if he's a well jersey on and working his socks off,playing well and scoring,the tony Tony Tony watt song will be sung by the fickle ones.

I don't decry him for wanting the big cash move to Dundee Utd , we all would, but he rubbed our noses in it and had some back handed digs at us. He could have left saying "I loved my time at Motherwell however financially I had to make to move"... fans would have been miffed but would have accepted it because we all know we cant compete with clubs like Utd on wages. 

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I don't decry him for wanting the big cash move to Dundee Utd , we all would, but he rubbed our noses in had and had some back handed digs at us. He could have left saying "I'd loved my time at Motherwell however financially I had to make to move"... fans would have been miffed but would have accepted it because we all know we cant compete with clubs like Utd on wages. 

Yeah he could have handled it better but I've been at fir park long to see ex players being verbally abused for having the audacity to move to another club,I hope it works out for him and the club, what you can't deny is his strength of character in taking this on, he knows what he needs to do and hope he's successful. 

Honestly not surprised. Feel like this signing is a marker for where we are as a team right now. Signing a player that left on the worst of terms, fans hate him, done the square route of fuck all since leaving. We are scrambling around in the dark so hard we have ended up back where we started but its a worse version. If anything screams relegation fodder then its this type of signing. Can we seriously not find a better option than a done Tony Watt? 

Crawling back to yer ex vibes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Benson said:

Yeah he could have handled it better but I've been at fir park long to see ex players being verbally abused for having the audacity to move to another club,I hope it works out for him and the club, what you can't deny is his strength of character in taking this on, he knows what he needs to do and hope he's successful. 

Yeah but like me you will also have seen ex players who respected the club and left in the right manner treated well even when linin up against us. Charles Dunn for one and a few others beside. Sure fans are irrational and fickle but generally the majority of our fans don't turn on an ex player if that player played fair by us. There will of course always be exceptions any support but the "majority" are respectful to those who were respectful to us.  

I'm not unhappy with Watt coming back as he's got ability but, my oh my, that signing smacks of desperation from Kettlewell. If it goes tits up like a lot of his other signings, he'll be gone before Christmas. 

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Watt can play as a number 10 behind the main striker too. He can hold the ball up and bring others into play. 

I get the impression that Watt will be our main striker this season Dave, alongside AVS when/ if he's fit.

But given the ability we know he has I reckon that Watt up top alongside Robinson or Ebiye might be a decent shout as well, time will tell.

• Like 1