2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We need two midfielders now.

And Kaleta to be another Max Johnston.

Tony Watt is, I'm pretty sure, your attacking midfielder. Whether you like it or not. He's spent a lot of his time at Dundee Utd either on the bench or in the middle of the three in a 4231...

For Watt to want to come back certainly shows he has grown a pair. If he feels he owes us then hopefully we will have a player but I remain unconvinced but will love to be proved wrong and certainly will wish him well when he has the claret and amber on.

• Like 1

If Watt starts scoring for us most  fans will forget his history in a few nano-seconds  but it does smack a bit of a desperate/high-risk manoeuvre by the manager (does this mean Stama is badly injured?). Some of our support seem reluctant to accept players almost always  sign for the best deal they can get and few will have the love/commitment to the club that a 'Well fan has.

Frankly, given our injury list and the generally disappointing newbies so far, I would sign Vlad the Impaler if he could start knocking in the goals/linking up play/winning fouls  by brazenly falling over, as TW did last time.

And as a few have said already, he must have cojones to come back here at all but I'm hoping his gallus nature may be an asset and he may even become influential for us.

I find it hard to believe  that SK (whatever you may think of him) would invite a stirrer or Big Time Charlie into the dressing room. He's got enough problems already, frankly, so I'm hoping he and TW have come to an understanding.

'Mon The 'Well 🙏 .

• Like 1

Watt has balls of steel and the hide of a rhino. He will need them if he doesnt hit the ground running. That said, he is in the last year of his contract and will be eager to impress potential suitors. So, if we can benefit in the short term while he earns his next deal, Im fine with that. But Im under no illusions that Tony thinks he owes anyone anything. I will be shocked and stunned if he was anywhere near Fir Park next season.

6 hours ago, Cameron_Mcd said:

We've got 3 right backs at the club already. SOD, Kaleta and Koutroumbis. 

Koutroumbis is another one of our many injuries and due to the English leagues starting after ours Kaleta hadn't had a pre-season. A bit like Gent I suspect we'll see him eventually.

Feels a reel risk not to be strengthining that area of the Pitch to me. SOD is a good back up but feel he lacks the pace for the role. Kaleta looked lost when he came on v Partick and the aussie boy hasnt been seen in a well shirt so I'll reserve judgement. At present the 2 areas I mentioned are our 2 weakest in my opinion and need reinforced. Could do with a holding midfielder aswell if we're being extremley wishful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Feels a reel risk not to be strengthining that area of the Pitch to me. SOD is a good back up but feel he lacks the pace for the role. Kaleta looked lost when he came on v Partick and the aussie boy hasnt been seen in a well shirt so I'll reserve judgement. At present the 2 areas I mentioned are our 2 weakest in my opinion and need reinforced. Could do with a holding midfielder aswell if we're being extremley wishful.

Aye, I'm not disagreeing with you, albeit I think it slightly harsh on Kaleta. I think we might see 1 more in at a push and that'll be another loan, after all we've already made 13 signings this summer.

12 hours ago, Claretamberribbon said:

I think Watt is a good signing clearly he left due to Alexander that happens in football, he was brilliant at times for us so hopefully he hits the ground running.

I'm happy to give him a chance 

So am i . But there is no way he will be able to keep his trap shut when he sees SK tactics first hand.

Or is he the guy SK has been waiting for to transform us into a top four, attacking , forward thinking free flowing silky team. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Tony Watt is, I'm pretty sure, your attacking midfielder. Whether you like it or not. He's spent a lot of his time at Dundee Utd either on the bench or in the middle of the three in a 4231...

So Watt and Miller in midfield. 

We are still struggling to put 11 real players on the park. 

• Like 1

We're currently sitting with a first team squad of around 26 players. Yes, some of them are injured, but those injured players still need to be paid and their medical costs taken care of.

They will all return at various points over the coming weeks and months, so we can't just keep spending money on new players. How big do we want our squad and wage bill to be?

Even if the management decide they want to make some more signings, it'll be a hard sell on any new player when we ask them to come in and provide cover for an injured player, then they likely get papped out the team when said injured player returns.

At most, I anticipate a few six-month loans before the transfer window closes, and even then, the calibre of these players might not be sufficient to satisfy the online critics.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, David said:

Even if the management decide they want to make some more signings, it'll be a hard sell on any new player when we ask them to come in and provide cover for an injured player, then they likely get papped out the team when said injured player returns.

We should be looking to sign better players than Paton, Callachan and Nicholson. 

It's expensive but we are paying the price of employing Kettlewell and Daws. That needs to be sorted at the first opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We should be looking to sign better players than Paton, Callachan and Nicholson. 

It's expensive but we are paying the price of employing Kettlewell and Daws. That needs to be sorted at the first opportunity. 

We were also paying three managers wages last season because fans wanted a manager out that had delivered a Top 6 position and European football.

Paton isn't even that bad if you have the right players around him, Callachan has one 17 minute sub appearance and you seem to have written him off and Nicholson is potentially decent but is injured.

Fans need to have realistic expectations and the club needs a period of stability and building instead of the impatient hack and slash of recent times that has only put us further and further backwards.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Fans need to have realistic expectations and the club needs a period of stability and building instead of the impatient hack and slash of recent times that has only put us further and further backwards.

Realistic expectations =/= continually accepting signing crocks. 

Some bottle.  😃

“It’s so good to be back in the building,” Tony Watt added.

“I was itching to join Motherwell again and can’t wait to get stuck in.

“There’s obviously people who may not be too happy to see me back. I need to prove myself here and get people back on my side but that target is firmly set in my mind. I feel fit. I’ve been training and I have a full pre-season under my belt.”

6 minutes ago, postiejim said:

Some bottle.  😃

“It’s so good to be back in the building,” Tony Watt added.

“I was itching to join Motherwell again and can’t wait to get stuck in.

“There’s obviously people who may not be too happy to see me back. I need to prove myself here and get people back on my side but that target is firmly set in my mind. I feel fit. I’ve been training and I have a full pre-season under my belt.”

I admire his bottle , I'm just not sure he is up to it. That said if he dumps Kilmarnock out the Cup on Sunday all negativity will evaporate but he has a hard task to manage it.

All I'll say is thank God certain posters on this forum aren't actually in positions where they have any say at the club.

We'd be bankrupt within a few years, paying the salary of around 4 managers per season, and paying a squad of senior players that would make Chelsea's squad look streamlined.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Stamatelopoulos is out for 6 weeks. That’s on Kettlewell. 

How so? He was challenging for the ball when he got injured and it's not easy to make out due to a lack of replays but looks like he may have planted his foot awkwardly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

How so? He was challenging for the ball when he got injured and it's not easy to make out due to a lack of replays but looks like he may have planted his foot awkwardly.

Because it was a ridiculous decision to risk a brand-new arrival who is our marquee signing in that game when Robinson and Ebiye, who are both fit and up-to-speed, were available. The discussion on this risk has already been done to a death on the forums. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Because it was a ridiculous decision to risk a brand-new arrival who is our marquee signing in that game

So when should SK have played him then, how many training sessions / bounce game minutes etc would he have needed before starting?

your post implies SK knew he was not fit to play but thought he'd chance it anyway, which is just bullshit.

If he was picked for the matchday squad then he was fit to play, him getting injured was down to bad luck not SK.

14 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So when should SK have played him then, how many training sessions / bounce game minutes etc would he have needed before starting?

your post implies SK knew he was not fit to play but thought he'd chance it anyway, which is just bullshit.

If he was picked for the matchday squad then he was fit to play, him getting injured was down to bad luck not SK.

Correct the idea that we didn't put him through the necessary fitness tests before he was selected is frankly ridiculous. All players have to prove their fitness before selection.

Just now, FirParkCornerExile said:

Correct the idea that we didn't put his through the necessary fitness tests before he was selected is frankly ridiculous. All players have to prove their fitness before selection.

We can't allow that to get in the way of yet another chance to moan like f*ck about the manager though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We were also paying three managers wages last season because fans wanted a manager out that had delivered a Top 6 position and European football.

Alexander was planning his exit from the second he signed his contract extension. You just need to look at the contracts he was giving out to players to know he didn't have any intention of hanging around.

• Like 1