2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The "SK is responsible for every injury we have" brigade will be in meltdown if we sign Jack.

This is a bollocks sweeping statement and you know it.

Kettlewell is responsible for signing injury prone players. He’s not responsible for every player being injured or getting injured. Him signing risky players is a fact that many of us have pointed out and will continue to do so. Therefore, it won’t be a surprise if he signs Jack.

Your statement only stands to reason for the injury to Stama, which many have argued was down to poor decision-making by Kettlewell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, wellfan said:

This is a bollocks sweeping statement and you know it.

Kettlewell is responsible for signing injury prone players. He’s not responsible for every player being injured or getting injured. Him signing risky players is a fact that many of us have pointed out and will continue to do so. Therefore, it won’t be a surprise if he signs Jack.

Your statement only stands to reason for the injury to Stama, which many have argued was down to poor decision-making by Kettlewell.

Signing risky players is a product of the limited market SK has to shop in. Young players that show potential but have not performed yet are a risk. Bair was a risk that worked.

Good quality experienced players that but for a few injuries would be completely priced out of our market are a risk. Louis Moult was a risk that did not work out for Stevie Hammell. He then did work out for Dundee Utd.

Veteran players that have reached the end of their careers that we could never have dreamt of signing when in their prime are a risk. Callum Patterson may be an example of that. Andy Halliday is a risk that I still think could go either way.

Remember we missed out on Robert Snodgrass a season or two back. A perfect example of a player we could not have afforded but for the fact that he was in the twilight of his career. He did not exactly set the heather on fire on his return to Scotland so even he would have been a risk that may not have worked.

Look at Van Veen going to Kilmarnock. It was a risk that did not work and I would imagine it was a fairly expensive one for Kilmarnock. 

Let's say that Ryan Jack is training with us and SK can see in training that he is significantly better than the midfield players we have. He is gaining fitness and stays injury free The option is there to offer him 6 months/ 1 year. Would SK really be off his head to consider this?

I think the problem sometimes with the arguments you put forward wellfan is that you fail to recognise the significant restraints that Motherwell and SK work under. 

SK has to gamble sometimes. It is the nature of being financially one of the smaller clubs in the top league.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, star sail said:

Signing risky players is a product of the limited market SK has to shop in. Young players that show potential but have not performed yet are a risk. Bair was a risk that worked.

Good quality experienced players that but for a few injuries would be completely priced out of our market are a risk. Louis Moult was a risk that did not work out for Stevie Hammell. He then did work out for Dundee Utd.

Veteran players that have reached the end of their careers that we could never have dreamt of signing when in their prime are a risk. Callum Patterson may be an example of that. Andy Halliday is a risk that I still think could go either way.

Remember we missed out on Robert Snodgrass a season or two back. A perfect example of a player we could not have afforded but for the fact that he was in the twilight of his career. He did not exactly set the heather on fire on his return to Scotland so even he would have been a risk that may not have worked.

Look at Van Veen going to Kilmarnock. It was a risk that did not work and I would imagine it was a fairly expensive one for Kilmarnock. 

Let's say that Ryan Jack is training with us and SK can see in training that he is significantly better than the midfield players we have. He is gaining fitness and stays injury free The option is there to offer him 6 months/ 1 year. Would SK really be off his head to consider this?

I think the problem sometimes with the arguments you put forward wellfan is that you fail to recognise the significant restraints that Motherwell and SK work under. 

SK has to gamble sometimes. It is the nature of being financially one of the smaller clubs in the top league.

I do recognise the significant restraints, and that’s exactly why I’m so pissed off at the inevitability of the situation we find ourselves in.

Kettlewell preaches these restraints on a weekly basis. Therefore, if I had such a restricted budget, I wouldn’t allocate a significant proportion of it to the same type of risk (injury prone players) in key positions. One or two risks across the squad is to be expected, but the balance of his signings is all wrong and it’s come back to bite him.

If it’s a choice between the categories of risks you’ve outlined, I’d rather Kettlewell spent money on young/struggling available players and one or two quality players, instead of wasting a lot on several injury prone experienced players and then having to spend more to mitigate the impact of them being inevitably injured. The latter is always a false economy and a poor strategy, and we’ve seen it before.

In the end, gamblers always lose. 

If there's a chance of ryan jack then I feel the risk is worth it. He is miles in front of anyone else in our midfield with the obvious caveat of fitness. However when phil odonnell came back he had only played 20 games in 4 years and done great for us. Fitness comes and goes and a big part of it is players determination to succeed.

28 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

If there's a chance of ryan jack then I feel the risk is worth it. He is miles in front of anyone else in our midfield with the obvious caveat of fitness. However when phil odonnell came back he had only played 20 games in 4 years and done great for us. Fitness comes and goes and a big part of it is players determination to succeed.

Maybe if Jack had a greater determination to succeed he wouldn’t have been out injured for 900+ days of his professional career. 

1 hour ago, Yabba's Turd said:

You can't win a Bair if you don't throw the coconut

Yet for every Bair shaped success there’s a disproportionate number of Callachan / Nicholson / Obika shaped losses. It’s not sustainable. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Ryan Jack is better than nothing but if Kettlewell doesn't have the ability to go a bit further afield to find players then it's another reason why we can't afford to keep him as our manager long term.

Australia's pretty far away

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, wellfan said:

Maybe if Jack had a greater determination to succeed he wouldn’t have been out injured for 900+ days of his professional career. 

Your trying too hard now, that's shite patter it really is, have a look at yourself ffs.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Your trying too hard now, that's shite patter it really is, have a look at yourself ffs.

The only shite patter here is you and others continually nibbling at every little thing I post. Keep it up. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

I think he's getting the A-League guys off the Temu website that advertises on here. 

Pretty harsh judgement considering we've seen one play for 60mins and the other hasn't kicked a ball yet.

Some of the Temu stuff isn't that bad tbf.

A fit Ryan Jack is exactly the type of player we need. A real proper defensive mid who would protect our backline and let Miller (& others) go play their football.

He should be out of our price range and probably doesnt view us as his next club.

However, the closer to deadline day it gets, then we might have a chance of getting him.

A 6 month deal would probably suit both parties. We dont extend any risk on his fitness beyond January, and he gets to look at other clubs again in the next window whilst guaranteeing some game time.

Giving someone like Jack a 2 year deal given his injury record and our current predicament, I agree, would be nuts.

34 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

New signing just announced 

Tawanda Maswanhise

A winger apparently, so probably someone sitting on the bench waiting to come on for the last 7 minutes as we attempt to salvage something from a match.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

A winger apparently, so probably someone sitting on the bench waiting to come on for the last 7 minutes as we attempt to salvage something from a match.

Apparently can play up front too 

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

A fit Ryan Jack is exactly the type of player we need. A real proper defensive mid who would protect our backline and let Miller (& others) go play their football.

He should be out of our price range and probably doesnt view us as his next club.

However, the closer to deadline day it gets, then we might have a chance of getting him.

A 6 month deal would probably suit both parties. We dont extend any risk on his fitness beyond January, and he gets to look at other clubs again in the next window whilst guaranteeing some game time.

Giving someone like Jack a 2 year deal given his injury record and our current predicament, I agree, would be nuts.

Ryan Jack is a non starter given the current composition of our squad.

Maybe if we had a young team you could argue a case but we don't.  It's just too big a risk.

Given the amount of time he's been out you couldn't even guarantee he'd do a job for us if he was fit.  He might well be done.

24 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Ryan Jack is a non starter given the current composition of our squad.

Maybe if we had a young team you could argue a case but we don't.  It's just too big a risk.

Given the amount of time he's been out you couldn't even guarantee he'd do a job for us if he was fit.  He might well be done.

I dont imagine a 6 month deal would break the bank. He's certainly an upgrade on what we currently have in that position if fit. However I imagine other clubs with deeper pockets will probably be saying the same and easily out bid us.

39 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

21 year old from Leicester City. Never played in first team but did make the bench. Hopefully got a bit of skill and speed. Possibly another option to create chances for our “goal scorers”?

short term contract till January