2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

I can't really understand going for Vale or Kouassi to be honest I'd strengthen 3/4 different positions before St. Desperatley need a creative midfield player and Ideally one to hold next to Lennon. I'd be trying to get a Rwb in on loan until at least January ideally of the mould of Spencer when we had him.

13 hours ago, robsterwood said:

They will be wishing they were on the titanic! 😄 

I kid you not we attended a q&a with captain and first question from audience member was "have you seen film called The Poseidon Adventure?, if yes I wondered if you had any near misses?",  I was like jeez lighten the mood pal 🤪🤪

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

I kid you not we attended a q&a with captain and first question from audience member was "have you seen film called The Poseidon Adventure?, if yes I wondered if you had any near misses?",  I was like jeez lighten the mood pal 🤪🤪

Great viewing for a relaxing cruise lol.  Prob better having you as ship comedian. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

I thought we would have had at least one midfielder in for Sunday. Shambles doesn't even start to describe this transfer window.

May still be time. The guy that got assist against killie was signed and hour before the game.  Watt may play behind strikers too in attacking mid role.

3 hours ago, santheman said:

F**k it just play with Ox and 10 forwards.

Kick it as hard and as far as you can down the park Ox . Then let our four strikers put the fear of death in the opposition . Basic 80s tactics it was a winner

• Like 2

On 8/22/2024 at 4:23 PM, Spit_It_Out said:

I have no idea what the feck is going with our transfers I can't be the only one thinking this Midfield isnt good enough right and should be the priority?

The thought of Halliday being a starter until further notice feels me with the fear.

As weeyin says above think the injuries are a wee bit worse than first thought we won't need sign anyone in January we will basically have half a team back lol.

He's brought in an actual winger and Tony Watt can play wide.

Maybe we'll go 4-3-3 in certain matches.

It gives us more options, both defensively (makes 4 at the back more of an option if you aren't relying on full backs for attacking width) and offensively, if we bring in forwards that can play wide.  

One of the big problems this season is the lack of width, and it may also solve the creativity in the final third.

• Like 2

So the most likely outcome is Ryan Jack and Vale? I'd rather have the Blackpool guy on loan as a striker than Vale who is a grafter but doesn't have much impact on games.

Scotland u21 international Josh Adam left Man City and was originally linked with clubs with in Germany and France but nothing happened. He's getting linked with Wrexham now but he could be an option for us as an attacking mid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

So the most likely outcome is Ryan Jack and Vale? I'd rather have the Blackpool guy on loan as a striker than Vale who is a grafter but doesn't have much impact on games.

Scotland u21 international Josh Adam left Man City and was originally linked with clubs with in Germany and France but nothing happened. He's getting linked with Wrexham now but he could be an option for us as an attacking mid.

Ryan Jack could happen after window because of free transfer 

11 minutes ago, TheoBair14 said:

Would love Kevin Van Veen back but he is not fit 

He is linked with St Mirren 

I think it's very unlikely that he'll be back with us. I also think that ship has sailed and we don't need him. Good luck to him but I don't think we'll be looking at him somehow 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheoBair14 said:

Would love Kevin Van Veen back but he is not fit 

He is linked with St Mirren 

Nope not for me, KVV was great for us but I don't think we need him or can afford him, he hardly done much at killie last season

I said when KVV left it was perfect timing. Cashed in while he was hot and zero chance of a repeat of that season.

We got the best out of him, but now I think he'll more likely be back to his more normal 7 or 8 goals a season form (if you're lucky)

Better not to tarnish his club legend status. 

14 hours ago, steelboy said:

Vale is a decent striker and I'd happily have him back...............so long as he's played as an out and out striker as part of a front 2. Too often last season he was used as a number 10 behind the main striker. Thats not his game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Van Veen hit 11 in his first season for us when he was playing on the wing a lot so I'm not sure where the 7 or 8 goals comment comes from.

He's a significantly better footballer than all the forwards we have at the moment.  

He's past it now

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

Van Veen hit 11 in his first season for us when he was playing on the wing a lot so I'm not sure where the 7 or 8 goals comment comes from. 

It comes from his well documented stats. In particular, his time while playing in the UK. I'll break it down for you into manageable chunks

Scunthorpe 2014-15: 20 games, 2 goals

Scunthorpe 2015-16: 20 games, 2 goals

Canbur 2015-16: 12 games, 1 goal

Scunthorpe 2016-17: 20 games, 10 goals

Scunthorpe 2017-18: 21 games, 5 goals

Northampton 2017-18: 10 games, 0 goals

4 seasons, 20 goals = 5 goals per season

Northampton 2018-19: 25 games, 7 goals

Scunthorpe 2018-19: 13 games, 1 goals

Scunthorpe 2019-20: 27 games, 10 goals

Scunthorpe 2020-21: 19 games, 1 goal

3 seasons, 19 goals = 6.3 goals per season

tl;dr - in the 7 seasons before he joined us he scored 39 = 5.6 goals per season.

If you want to look at his return over his entire career, including his record spell with us and his 20 goals in the Dutch 3rd division, he has 109 goals in 14 seasons = 7.8 goals per season.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

It comes from his well documented stats. In particular, his time while playing in the UK. I'll break it down for you into manageable chunks

Scunthorpe 2014-15: 20 games, 2 goals

Scunthorpe 2015-16: 20 games, 2 goals

Canbur 2015-16: 12 games, 1 goal

Scunthorpe 2016-17: 20 games, 10 goals

Scunthorpe 2017-18: 21 games, 5 goals

Northampton 2017-18: 10 games, 0 goals

4 seasons, 20 goals = 5 goals per season

Northampton 2018-19: 25 games, 7 goals

Scunthorpe 2018-19: 13 games, 1 goals

Scunthorpe 2019-20: 27 games, 10 goals

Scunthorpe 2020-21: 19 games, 1 goal

3 seasons, 19 goals = 6.3 goals per season

tl;dr - in the 7 seasons before he joined us he scored 39 = 5.6 goals per season.

If you want to look at his return over his entire career, including his record spell with us and his 20 goals in the Dutch 3rd division, he has 109 goals in 14 seasons = 7.8 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

If you want to look at his return over his entire career, including his record spell with us and his 20 goals in the Dutch 3rd division, he has 109 goals in 14 seasons = 7.8 goals per season.

If you are daft enough to think that mean average is a good way of looking at it then that's obviously what it looks like. 

27 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If you are daft enough to think that mean average is a good way of looking at it then that's obviously what it looks like. 

Yes, it's statistacally a safe conclusion that every other year of his career is an anomoly and the best stats to quantify his career is his last season with us.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1