2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

If you are daft enough to think that mean average is a good way of looking at it then that's obviously what it looks like. 

I'm smart enough to know "mean average" isn't a thing.

However, you asked where the 7 or 8 goals per season came from, so I provided you with the evidence.

Maybe you thought 7 or 8 goals per season meant "exactly 7 or 8 goals every season" - in which case I'd suggest your understanding of football stats is "mean average"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Yes, it's statistacally a safe conclusion that every other year of his career is an anomoly and the best stats to quantify his career is his last season with us.

He's hit double figures 6 times which makes me think he's more likely to do it again than any of our current strikers. Scoring 10-15 is still hugely valuable for a club at our level and we know from watching him he's a very good technical player and creative.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

He's hit double figures 6 times which makes me think he's more likely to do it again than any of our current strikers. Scoring 10-15 is still hugely valuable for a club at our level and we know from watching him he's a very good technical player and creative.

I agree with what you say about his technical ability and creativity but he would be one of those high risk signings that Kettlewell has been slated for in recent times.

I must admit though I would still find it an exciting proposition if KVV did come back just to see if he could reproduce the magic one last time. I think the odds would be against him regaining that form though.

4 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Tbh for me it's only the midfield that needs addressed that's the area we look most vulnerable in so a couple of 6 months loans and we should be home an dry.

Pretty much my view. Surely 2 short term loans would meet our needs. 

Neither Van Veen nor Vale make any sense to me.. Stamatelopolous will be back soon, Watt, Robinson, Ebiye, Maswanhise and Stuperavic also to return, how many attacking options do we need given we play with one out and out striker normally? 

Midfield, it really depends on how far away our injured players are. We're operating with four midfielders available at the moment so one injury there away from being really short. Not sure when Paton or Nicholson are due back, to me those two would make a huge difference..

I'd like to see a loan midfielder come in before Friday. But if it doesn't happen, I'll not be panicking. I'd rather not sign anyone than just bringing a player in who isn't able to contribute...

11 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Neither Van Veen nor Vale make any sense to me.. Stamatelopolous will be back soon, Watt, Robinson, Ebiye, Maswanhise and Stuperavic also to return, how many attacking options do we need given we play with one out and out striker normally? 

I agree. I don't think another forward is really required.

21 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Our midfield is light in numbers . 

Slattery is a complete unknown if he’ll recover 

Paton often picks up injuries 

others are aging and likely to miss games 

lose Miller and it looks dire . 

some quality loanees would be a good shout 

Why not offer Ryan Jack a short term or pay per play deal  given his fitness concerns, probably won't cost that much.  If he stays injury free he's a big upgrade on what we have now, Miller apart., surely worth a punt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Why not offer Ryan Jack a short term or pay per play deal  given his fitness concerns, probably won't cost that much.  If he stays injury free he's a big upgrade on what we have now, Miller apart., surely worth a punt.

I think most if not all on here will agree with you on that and I’m sure the club is trying to get something sorted but it will all be down to what other teams offer him. 

5 hours ago, Claretamberribbon said:

I would go for Alex Lowry on a permanent deal, I could see the same type of pact Ross McCormick had with us. 

Alex Lowry would certainly be a great addition, but could see him heading down to England maybe. Ryan Jack if he's fit, would be a good signing as others have said. I wonder if we have kept an interest in Scott Fraser after he chose to go on loan to Hearts instead of us last season. Didn't exactly set the heather on fire there, but didn't get too much game time to be fair, started 4 games in 6 months.

1 hour ago, mothman said:

Alex Lowry would certainly be a great addition, but could see him heading down to England maybe. Ryan Jack if he's fit, would be a good signing as others have said. I wonder if we have kept an interest in Scott Fraser after he chose to go on loan to Hearts instead of us last season. Didn't exactly set the heather on fire there, but didn't get too much game time to be fair, started 4 games in 6 months.

Doesn't have a squad number at Charlton, looks like they're keen to offload.

16 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Not been formally announced by the club yet but Vale is apparently on his way back on loan - sports journalist just tweeted that deal has been agreed. 

Wow - that will have us up to 9 first team forwards - quite like vale but can’t understand several of our summer signings

no clue what formation we’ll play or whether likes of vale and watt will play in midfield .

I agree - Jack Vale was decent enough for us but doesn't make much sense unless we are planning to offload one of our forwards tomorrow, otherwise we're completely overloaded in that department. Not including young Mark Ferrie in that as he would probably benefit from going out on loan anyhow.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Wow - that will have us up to 9 first team forwards - quite like vale but can’t understand several of our summer signings

no clue what formation we’ll play or whether likes of vale and watt will play in midfield .

Of course it makes sense: returning to our league winning formation of 2-3-5 and catching all of our opponents on the hop.

Invert the pyramid, ya bass!

The only way I see this making any sense is that as his contract with Rovers is up at the end of the season,  maybe we’ve some sort of agreement with him that he will sign for us then as I’m assuming Rovers will be paying a good part of his wage at the moment.