2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

22 minutes ago, stv said:

Who would loan us players and expect to get them back in one piece. What a horrendous injury record we have no way its just bad luck. Something is a miss.

Reports suggest we’ve conducted a review of our training methods, which is fair enough, but it does give off vibes of marking your own homework. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

It does start to get the feel it's not all down to bad luck. If it's injuries during games then you can accept as part and parcel but just seems too many being injured in training.

Not a case of blaming one person but definitely something that needs to be looked at

Mate of mine has heard it has been looked at and nothing seems to be "up" (someone has said the same over on P&B). Like even discussing methods and drills with other teams and experts and there's nothing there other than bad luck.

Kettlewell has been on the record several times saying that we investigated all the training injuries last season and made adjustments as a result of them, too.

It's perhaps bad luck, it's perhaps our medical team missing things. Vale trained with us for half a season last year and didn't get crocked like this.

Thankfully we're pretty stacked up top even with injuries right now so I'm not too concerned.

• Thanks 1

The problem is that's is a relatively small sample size and could just be bad luck.

It feels, however, like we've been having these issues under successive coaching regimes, so a more detailed review of the methods is definitely needed. Of course, the fact that one of our strategies has been to sign players recovering-from or prone-to injury and with "something to prove" may have exacerbated the problems.

23 minutes ago, mothman said:

Noticed in this weeks press conference when asked about the injured players progress, SK made no mention of Filip Stuparević - then also noticed he is no longer in the squad list on our website... Wonder if he's offski 🤔

Loaned to Morton, happy with that as hopefully it helps him get up to speed

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Loaned to Morton, happy with that as hopefully it helps him get up to speed

Aye, I think it's probably best for him. He's behind Maswanhise, Tavares, Stama, Robinson, Moses and Watt in the pecking order. He'd basically just be training and not playing unless we have another mental run of injuries.

I can only assume that its his application that is the issue. 

He clearly has some talent given the clubs he has been at, but he has never made it at any of them.

The fact we are farming him out so quickly after giving him a 2 year deal (with a 3rd year option) is a concern.

Hopefully he has been told to go and get used to the Scottish game and come back fit and ready to stake his claim in the starting 11.

It would be pretty shit for him, but mostly us, if his Motherwell career is over a couple of months in.

24 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I can only assume that its his application that is the issue. 

He clearly has some talent given the clubs he has been at, but he has never made it at any of them.

The fact we are farming him out so quickly after giving him a 2 year deal (with a 3rd year option) is a concern.

Hopefully he has been told to go and get used to the Scottish game and come back fit and ready to stake his claim in the starting 11.

It would be pretty shit for him, but mostly us, if his Motherwell career is over a couple of months in.

I think you're spot on with your middle point.

The rest I think might be passing judgement a little too soon/making some presumptions (which we all are at this point, it's a forum for discussion after all).

We've seen SK mutual players he felt were useless (Danzaki etc.) and given he's not really needed by us currently, this makes most sense for his development and integration into the Scottish game. Like you say, he's got a 2-year deal; hopefully this helps him settle down and apply himself to be a part of the squad next year, or before if we recall him.

I do wonder if this points to us extending Maswanhise?

Kettlewell has a good record of developing strikers/getting the best out of them; however, that's been whilst playing them consistently and also giving them coaching. Stup was never going to get the former this season, given Robinson, Moses and Stama are in front of him in the pecking order.

I'm not going to give up on him yet, but I can see some warning signs much like you.

Just as I like to give players that start slow time to develop, I also like to give time to players who make a quick impact - because the real test for them is how the cope when the opposition managers suss them out (like Goodwin's tactics against Maswanhise).

So while I like what I've seen so far,  I'd like to see a little more.

Even though it's a season long I wouldn't be shocked if he has until the 1st of January to actually look like he could do something and if he doesn't it will be the old 'mutual termination of contract'and he hot foots it out of Scotland.

I don't expect to see him in a Well shirt again tbh.

Strange Morton is the preferred loan club considering the way Imrie sets his team up and is all about 100% effort and closing players down and that is what seems to be lacking in Stupas game.

Might be the exact reason he's going there to learn the dark arts right enough.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Just as I like to give players that start slow time to develop, I also like to give time to players who make a quick impact - because the real test for them is how the cope when the opposition managers suss them out (like Goodwin's tactics against Maswanhise).

So while I like what I've seen so far,  I'd like to see a little more.

To be honest i think it was more our fault than anything Goodwin did. We played him through the middle & he certainly appeared far more effective on the wing & cutting inside as he was doing v hearts

1 hour ago, Big Stall said:

To be honest i think it was more our fault than anything Goodwin did. We played him through the middle & he certainly appeared far more effective on the wing & cutting inside as he was doing v hearts

That could well be true.

My only concern is that his main trick is cutting inside. One one hand, that was Jake Hastie's main trick too and teams found a way to prevent that after a few successful outings. On the other hand, Jamie Murphy made a successful career of coming inside from the wing.

So I'm hoping he continues down the Murphy path.