2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Just a reminder that the keeper everyone was delighted to punt in the summer had a great initial loan spell, won players' player of the year, and we couldn't get him back soon enough.

I'm happy Ox has signed, but I'm under no illusions that somehow he'll be immune from a loss of form.

All players suffer from a loss of form regardless of what position they play.

However if Ox keeps this form we have a great asset 

34 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Just a reminder that the keeper everyone was delighted to punt in the summer had a great initial loan spell, won players' player of the year, and we couldn't get him back soon enough.

I'm happy Ox has signed, but I'm under no illusions that somehow he'll be immune from a loss of form.

Agreed, but the difference is, is that Ox is actually made of something stronger than a stale poppadom, unlike Kelly.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, weeyin said:

He will have bad games that's fine it happens what I see different about him is he is taking pressure off the defence by coming for crosses and in general just a lot more calm than Kelly looked.  Just look far more settled in that area than we did last season.

• Like 1

Brilliant piece of business for everyone and you never know keeps up his form week in week out then we might getting a tempting offer somewhere  down the line.

I do think having Gordon brought in this season aswell has had a good effect on the defence line.

Wilson on the up,Miller balling all the time, Christ I never thought I would say this but even Halliday has had an up turn of form lol.

We are ticking along just fine and hopefully more to come.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Ox for England? After watching pickford tonight 🤪🤪

Pickford shows you how dire England are for goalkeepers I never rated him saying that I don't rate Gunn for us either I think he is a terrible  I would rather have Craig Gordon in his 50s than him lol.

20 hours ago, weeyin said:

Just a reminder that a sizeable chunk of this board wanted the Ox to be given a chance last season while kelly threw goals in for fun. Sadly Kettlewell & @David;) had other views.

Sarcasm aside, the guy has been very good so far & its great to see we are taking steps to keep him or protect him as a sellable asset

46 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Just a reminder that a sizeable chunk of this board wanted the Ox to be given a chance last season while kelly threw goals in for fun. Sadly Kettlewell & @David;) had other views.

I remember the same chunk wanting Dan Twardzik signed up after his initial performances too.

As I said, I'm happy we extended his contract. It's more the absolutism of fans I take issue with where someone is absolute garbage or brilliant, without much room for nuance such as quality of players around them, overall form of the team and the fluctuations in performance that every player suffers.

I'd imagine any keeper would have struggled behind the joke of a defence we had last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I remember the same chunk wanting Dan Twardzik signed up after his initial performances too.

As I said, I'm happy we extended his contract. It's more the absolutism of fans I take issue with where someone is absolute garbage or brilliant, without much room for nuance such as quality of players around them, overall form of the team and the fluctuations in performance that every player suffers.

I'd imagine any keeper would have struggled behind the joke of a defence we had last season.

It was more the joke of a keeper that the defence suffered from.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Maswanhise signed until summer 2026.

Another good bit of business,  still raw but potential is there

Ps. Get lennon on a 2yr extension now,  no way will we have him that long but hopefully means top money for him

• Like 2

21 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Rather have our own Ox than dire pickford any day. Hope he stays in goal for England.  They really are shite. Loosing to Iceland and now Greece. Lol

Any chance that the Ox has Scottish ancestry?

Stuparević scored again for Morton by the way, against Haccies this time.

On 10/11/2024 at 6:03 PM, grizzlyg said:

Another good bit of business,  still raw but potential is there

Ps. Get lennon on a 2yr extension now,  no way will we have him that long but hopefully means top money for him

Its not as easy as that. He has already signed an extension to be fair the club,  he could have legged it before signing the last extension. I don't see him doing it again. I think both him and the club will cash in in the next 12 moths and considering he could have pissed off for nothing a year back I think we cant complain if both parties do.

• Thanks 2

On 10/10/2024 at 5:13 PM, StAndrew7 said:

Agreed, but the difference is, is that Ox is actually made of something stronger than a stale poppadom, unlike Kelly.

Really good small goalkeepers are the exception rather than the norm. Andy Goram being the exception. I always thought Kelly was too wee and didn't command his 6 yard box which OX does and the difference is so noticeable. Kelly wasn't all bad but for me I like a big towering keeper.

51 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Really good small goalkeepers are the exception rather than the norm. Andy Goram being the exception. I always thought Kelly was too wee and didn't command his 6 yard box which OX does and the difference is so noticeable. Kelly wasn't all bad but for me I like a big towering keeper.

On his day, there weren't many better shot stoppers in the league than Kelly. A "modern" keeper needs to be able to do that as well as collect the ball and relieve pressure for his defence; Ox being the perfect example of that and what a difference it's made.

Also, lol at these stats:

WhatsApp Image 2024-10-14 at 15.01.36.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

On his day, there weren't many better shot stoppers in the league than Kelly. A "modern" keeper needs to be able to do that as well as collect the ball and relieve pressure for his defence; Ox being the perfect example of that and what a difference it's made.

Also, lol at these stats:

WhatsApp Image 2024-10-14 at 15.01.36.jpg

Kellys picture makes him look bigger than he actually is.

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Yes, these days keepers need to be 6-3 minimum. The Ox is 6-4. Goram got away with it because he rarely need to take an aerial ball as the then Rangers central defence was huge and well capable of cutting out any airborne threats.  Jocky Robertson was great for his height but he was from a bygone era.