2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

@Cameron_Mcd

That's hilarious.

I came on here I think in March and said he was the worst goalkeeper in the league and people were not having it. Even i didn't think he was that much worse than Shamal George.

That stat doesnt by itself make him the worst keeper in the league.

I accept it doesnt make good reading and Im not sad he has moved on. But you have to also look at the defence each keeper played behind.

Our overall defensive record last year was honking.

Yes, Kelly had a part to play in that, but it wasnt all him.

• Like 1

There is no doubt at the moment that Ox appears to be an upgrade on Kelly.

Taking pressure off the defence by coming for cross balls is a huge benefit.

His shot stopping has been pretty decent as well.

But one of the things that seems to go unoticed or at least not mentioned is his distribution.

I dont recall him kicking the ball out of the park once this season.

Good shot stopper is a kindness, all goalies are good shot stoppers, that's why they play there, there are other rudiments for being a keeper that are important, but good shot stopper is where your goalie career starts, who was the last marginal keeper that was not a good shot stopper? Stevie Woods could make saves all day but his awareness and concentration were honking.

Is Ox an upgrade? Partially, we upgraded our defenders too.

2 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Good shot stopper is a kindness, all goalies are good shot stoppers, that's why they play there, there are other rudiments for being a keeper that are important, but good shot stopper is where your goalie career starts, who was the last marginal keeper that was not a good shot stopper? Stevie Woods could make saves all day but his awareness and concentration were honking.

Aaron Chapman? 😆😆😆

10 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Ox is a big upgrade on Kelly now that we've seen what he can do, which makes it even more annoying that SK stuck with Kelly all of last season, considering the number of points he cost us.

17 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

I can't bring myself to take about Stevie Woods.
Would have won the league with a better keeper.

On 10/14/2024 at 6:06 PM, steelboy said:

I came on here I think in March and said he was the worst goalkeeper in the league and people were not having it.

Yeah, but you also claimed that numerous other players in our team were "the worst in the league," so you were always going to be correct at some point.

A broken clock etc.

• Haha 1

We certainly had the worst defence in the league, but I'd say the comedy defending antics of Butcher, Blaney, Casey and Mugabi (to name a few) were more responsible for that. Difficult to compare when we were giving up free shots and headers half a dozen times per game.

Likewise when Gordon passed the ball to St Mirren and SOD gave away the ball against Hibs, Ox conceded 2 goals. I wouldn't blame him for conceding either one, but that's what Kelly was up against for an entire season.

It has a knock-on effect. Defenders are poor, the keeper loses confidence and makes mistakes. The keeper makes mistakes and the defenders lose even more confidence - and so it goes on.

That's why I was a proponent of ditching all the central defenders and the keeper in the summer and rebuilding from scratch.

38 minutes ago, mfc said:

Ewan Wilson signs a new deal until 2027

Great news.

Is that all our saleable assets tied up?

Be nice to get Miller on an extra year extension. But that will fepend very much on the goodwill of the player and his family.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wellfan said:

That’s McGinn out for the foreseeable. I ask again, what the fuck are we doing in training to lead to this amount of soft tissue injuries?!

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2024/10/17/paul-mcginn-to-spend-time-on-sidelines/

He’s 34 this month . Suspect he’s at the point where he’ll pick up injuries . 

I know we’ve picked up lots of training injuries , I put this down to some of the signing of players who are aging or had several injuries .