2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

23 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

To be fair. It's taking me all my time to finish my degree with a  broken leg without losing sleep over where Jon Obikas wages come from. 

😏

Tomorrow I might care a lot more. I might even renew my season ticket if I can hobble to fir park 

Congrats on the degree 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Did we not stand by Turnbull when he had that injury and couldn't sign on for Celtic? What's the difference? Should Motherwell have just told Turnbull to get lost and not seen him through his recovery? And as soon as he did recover he signed for them. As was his choice 

Why would Kettlewell offering Obika a coaching job mean we are acting like a registered charity? 

Difference was Turnbull was 21 and a very sellable asset so was in our best interests to look after him. Was worth it as we got £3,000,000

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

Difference was Turnbull was 21 and a very sellable asset so was in our best interests to look after him. Was worth it as we got £3,000,000

Of course there is that. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

To be honest, I hadn't read Kettlewell's comments until a few minutes ago. Obviously the club had the option to extend his deal as a player and were not going to do so. None of us have any clue whether Jon Obika will be a decent coach or not, but I can't believe Kettlewell would be paying him to just hang around contributing hee haw, so he must've seen something. Yeah, this is his first go at coaching, which probably means he'll be getting paid accordingly.

Kettlewell has always had very good things to say about Obika. If he sees him as an asset then I hope it works out for all parties. 

24 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Did we not stand by Turnbull when he had that injury and couldn't sign on for Celtic? What's the difference? 

Why would Kettlewell offering Obika a coaching job mean we are acting like a registered charity? 

The situation with Turnbull was entirely different. He was not retiring through injury and agreement was reached with Celtic that, when fit, the transfer was still a possibility.  And he was still under contract in any event. Financially it made sense. £3m of sense. As well as being the right thing to do for a boy who who joined us straight from Nursery and with a playing  career ahead of him. None of that applies to Obika.

As for acting like a charity, what is the rationale for awarding a coaching role to Obika? Is he qualified? Has he coaching experience? Has he given years of service to Motherwell?  Did we need to fill the position given we were fourth top scorers last season? Or is he just a good guy that we decided to help out? There are plenty of other players that left us due to injury and they were not offered coaching jobs?   Having said all that, let's hope he turns out to be the next Pep Guardiola.

1 minute ago, dennyc said:

The situation with Turnbull was entirely different. He was not retiring through injury and agreement was reached with Celtic that, when fit, the transfer was still a possibility.  And he was still under contract in any event. Financially it made sense. £3m of sense. As well as being the right thing to do for a boy who who joined us straight from Nursery and with a playing still career ahead of him. 

As for acting like a charity, what is the rationale for awarding a coaching role to Obika? Is he qualified? Has he coaching experience? Has he given years of service to Motherwell?  Did we need to fill the position given we were fourth top scorers last season? Or is he just a good guy that we decided to help out? There are plenty of other players that left us due to injury and they were not offered coaching jobs?   Having said all that, let's hope he turns out to be the next Pep Guardiola.

And they call Kettlewell an overthinker 😜

• Haha 4

Just now, wellgirl said:

Kettlewell has always had very good things to say about Obika. If he sees him as an asset then I hope it works out for all parties. 

Yeah, he sees far more than we ever will, day in, day out. If the club had extended his contract as a player I'd have expected men in white coats to get their giant butterfly nets looked out, but if we needed a coach for the forwards and the management believe Obika can do the job, it's worth a punt. 

• Like 1

Just now, wellgirl said:

And they call Kettlewell an overthinker 😜

Lol. Nothing wrong with SK overthinking........as long as everybody on here agrees with him.

I'll join Grizzlyg in saying well done for persisting with the Degree despite your Jon Obika like injury record. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, dennyc said:

Lol. Nothing wrong with SK overthinking........as long as everybody on here agrees with him.

I'll join Grizzlyg in saying well done for persisting with the Degree despite your Jon Obika like injury record. 

My injury record is far worse than Obikas... 🤣. Id like to say I'm joking but no. I think Motherwell should give me a job given the amount of bones I've broken (a lot). 🤣🤣

Thank you. 

16 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yeah, he sees far more than we ever will, day in, day out. If the club had extended his contract as a player I'd have expected men in white coats to get their giant butterfly nets looked out, but if we needed a coach for the forwards and the management believe Obika can do the job, it's worth a punt. 

Perhaps Obika will replace Clarkson who will now be able to return to focusing solely on his Academy role?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, steelboy said:

A player so shite we made him a coach is a new low. 

Kettlewell, Ricky Foster and Obika as coaches. Davie Martindale is staring to look like Carlo Ancelloti. 

Why is it a new low - is Obika a shite coach?

1 minute ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Quite often it is the journeyman/unspectacular career players that make the best coaches, from Fergie to Madden to Belichick 

You'd think anybody interested in football would know that, but I suppose it's irrelevant if you're only interested in having a dig.

Everybody calm down about the Obika thing................

If you also noted from the website, The Well are looking for a new physio so he is clearly there as a training aid for them, makes perfect sense...............😜

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

Nicholson signs on for two years. Happy with that as long as he's a squad player, non starter, off the bench in the last 10 only, etc etc etc.... 😁

A guy who looked good against Livi and useless against everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

No surprise that we've signed Nicholson permanently. As Bobbybingo says it'll be interesting what a good pre-season does for him. He sems to have a bit of skill and knows where the goals are. Quite happy with this news.

I still think we need an out and out defensive midfielder though.

• Like 1