2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

1 minute ago, dennyc said:

Purely for football reasons of course. 😀

What you trying to say? 😂😂😂

SOD was my number one handsome footballer anywhere in the world (or maybe in ML2) until Slats came and knocked him off the top spot (sure he'll be devastated to hear that) 🤣🤣🤣

I know so many girls who fancy Jack Grealish.. I think that he looks like he needs a good wash... As if he'll care either 🤣 

I used to quite fancy Trevor Carson back in the day. 

• Sad 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:50 PM, Cameron_Mcd said:

Honestly thought Slattery would be away. Offering him a contract is probably the 'right thing to do' with him recovering from injury. Has he actually earned a new contract? I'm not sure to be honest, he's undoubtedly a talented player but he goes through lengthy spells of being anonymous or underwhelming.

I'd have released Slattery.  Decent player on his day but those days can often be very few and far between.  Overall his basics aren't good enough.

Didn't''t really miss him when he was injured and in fact our form improved as I thought it might.

Assuming he's one of the top earners at the club I'd suggest you could get more value for the wages.

The one thing I'd say in Slattery's favour is that with Spittal gone maybe there is more of a role for him in the team.  As I said last season I felt they didn't both fit into the same starting eleven.

Maybe he's an AM but he's absolutely not a CM or DM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Not wishing to be funny, but how does this guy qualify for a work permit?

Is there not a new system in place where we can have up to 4 players under special terms or something? I can't find a link but remember hearing/reading something.

4 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Is there not a new system in place where we can have up to 4 players under special terms or something? I can't find a link but remember hearing/reading something.

Ah. Must confess to being vaguely aware that there were changes post Brexit but details had passed me by...

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Ah. Must confess to being vaguely aware that there were changes post Brexit but details had passed me by...

I think the exemption thing is fairly new, although that might be for a work permit? I don't really understand it all tbh but I thought a visa and a work permit were different things in this case.

12 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Don't know about numbers each club can have, but I read sometime after Brexit that football Clubs (maybe Rugby as well) could apply to the Government requesting that players who don't meet International appearances criteria be granted leeway. Representation was made that to strictly apply entry requirements in sport would affect ability to compete. So exceptions are now allowed. I think it is almost always an automatic thing. The numbers limitation rule would make good sense.

6 minutes ago, wellfan said:

It's the first Monday after the expiration of many contracts. Should we expect a lot of action this week? 

I'd be hoping for one or two new players, with a couple of retained signings as well.

4 minutes ago, wellfan said:

It's the first Monday after the expiration of many contracts. Should we expect a lot of action this week? 

Depends on how proactive the recruitment team have been In identifying targets and setting up the deals. I hope there are a few incoming it's always good to get the business done early. 

29 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Depends on how proactive the recruitment team have been In identifying targets and setting up the deals. I hope there are a few incoming it's always good to get the business done early. 

Given all that's been said by Frail, Kettlewell and Caldwell about doing business early and getting players in for pre-season, you'd expect that to have been the case and that we'll see the fruits of it in the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

Lots of players (and agents) on holiday and 3 months before the window closes.

The trend in recent times has been for one or two players to sign earlier and more and more players waiting until later in the summer before committing.

Plus, of course, there will be some current players mulling over contracts who we need to wait on before we know if we need to replace them.

And then we need to wait to see if any offers come in for players we weren't looking to replace.

4 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

O'Donnell's signed for 2 years.

That'll light the blue touchpaper for a few on here......

• Haha 3