2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

25 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

O'Donnell's signed for 2 years.

Disgusted about that. As well as being clearly past his best and slower than a week in jail he has been nothing but an imposter in our jersey for the last three years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

SOD is not our worst player by any means , but if Mugabi resigns I will feel like giving up.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.  I get that. 

• Like 1

I think the winners, or losers in this case, are those who've instantly come onto the forum following the announcement of SOD with a hard-on. There are several of you gleefully waiting to criticise and poke fun at those who come onto the forum to critique the fact that Kettlewell is seeking to rebuild the defence with the majority of those who were part of a unit that failed to keep more than three clean sheets in the league last season.

There was a chance this summer for a clean slate regarding the defence and for Kettlewell to put his stamp on the team. It was the biggest flaw in the squad last season. No matter how much Kettlewell fucked around with it, the team kept conceding, and Kelly can't take sole blame for that. Instead, Kettlewell offered terms to Butcher (refused), McGinn (accepted), SOD (accepted) and Mugabi (considering), so more fool him and those who think his continuity approach to solving the problem of the defence is something worth celebrating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has their own views which is fair enough and part of what makes forum good if posted in correct manner.

Personally I am pleased SOD has signed new deal. I think the lad gets a hard press at times and not as bad as made out.  I get the comments about defence being poor last season but that isn't all down to one person.   Yes we need improving in that area and if new players not signed then yes I will be concerned 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mccus28 said:

We need a squad and I doubt you would get a better option out there than O'Donnell.

He gets some quite unfair pelters at times but Im pretty happy he has signed on to fill out said squad.

Exactly we need a squad and perfect squad player that's why I am not to bothered if big Bevis signs up again  unfair hate from people week in week out for me he gave one of the best performances of the season from any player Vs Rangers at Ibrox last season.

Still need to address the defence but Bevis is perfect squad player just like O'Donnell.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can understand why some members of our support are feeling nervous right now. While keeping O'Donnell as a squad player isn't necessarily a bad thing, there's a concern that we'll re-sign some players as "squad players" only to have them end up as regular starters once the season begins.

Having almost the same defense, along with our former backup keeper as the main goalkeeper, doesn't really inspire much confidence, whether justified or not.

32 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Everyone has their own views which is fair enough and part of what makes forum good if posted in correct manner.

Personally I am pleased SOD has signed new deal. I think the lad gets a hard press at times and not as bad as made out.  I get the comments about defence being poor last season but that isn't all down to one person.   Yes we need improving in that area and if new players not signed then yes I will be concerned 

Correct it’s not down to one person but the manager has signed the failures from last season what does that say about the manager . It was a great chance for SK to start from scratch but he’s blew it again 

44 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I think the winners, or losers in this case, are those who've instantly come onto the forum following the announcement of SOD with a hard-on. There are several of you gleefully waiting to criticise and poke fun at those who come onto the forum to critique the fact that Kettlewell is seeking to rebuild the defence with the majority of those who were part of a unit that failed to keep more than three clean sheets in the league last season.

There was a chance this summer for a clean slate regarding the defence and for Kettlewell to put his stamp on the team. It was the biggest flaw in the squad last season. No matter how much Kettlewell fucked around with it, the team kept conceding, and Kelly can't take sole blame for that. Instead, Kettlewell offered terms to Butcher (refused), McGinn (accepted), SOD (accepted) and Mugabi (considering), so more fool him and those who think his continuity approach to solving the problem of the defence is something worth celebrating.

Maybe some sort of deal could be struck. The hard-ons agree not to gleefully poke fun at the critics if their criticism rises above shite and imposter.

49 minutes ago, wellfan said:

At least you didn't use the word "shite"

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

Maybe some sort of deal could be struck. The hard-ons agree not to gleefully poke fun at the critics if their criticism rises above shite and imposter.

So if u stop posting shite that will help 

A few of you are making the point that you're okay with the likes of McGinn, SOD and potentially Mugabi re-signing, but only as squad players for the most part, which would still be ridiculous given how poor that defence performed as a unit over the season. One of them being offered a deal as an experienced backup would be tolerable, but all of them is a crazy approach.

Furthermore, the more defensive spots offered to and accepted by first-team starters from last season, the fewer spots this leaves available to new potential first-team starters, which I am sure you will all agree are needed. The only spots currently available for a like-for-like replacement are Butcher's and Gent's.

So, unless those noted above have accepted considerably reduced financial terms, which we'll never know, perhaps the plan is to double the defence budget from last season to make up for it being the worst-performing in the league. Unlikely. Therefore, I can't think of any other reason why Kettlewell has sought to retain as much of last season's defence as possible other than him being incapable of learning and/or stupid, or they've accepted pennies, which is unlikely.

It's early days, but it looks like Kettlewell is already failing to address the main issues that affected the team last season, and he won't have an excuse if it comes back to bite his arse as the season progresses. And let's not forget that this isn't an isolated scenario with the defence, as we were crying out for a new centre-back in January, but we got a glut of wingbacks instead, one of whom never even played.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

'hard-ons'

'poke'

'rises'

I see what you did there. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Exactly we need a squad and perfect squad player that's why I am not to bothered if big Bevis signs up again  unfair hate from people week in week out for me he gave one of the best performances of the season from any player Vs Rangers at Ibrox last season.

Still need to address the defence but Bevis is perfect squad player just like O'Donnell.

So when the team gets announced will say S.Odonnel ( squad player ) Bevis Mugabe ( squad player) u bet it won’t 

There isn't really a thing as a squad player with the likes of us,most players will play a fair amount throughout the season,sadly as we seen last season some of them aren't upto the job but yet we seem happy enough to retain them,it's going to get worse if mugabi stays on.we will then have mugabi,mcginn,casey and blaney and the option of playing odonnell again at centre half,that's pretty grim and you would think doesn't leave much scope for other centre halves to arrive,I just hope the plan isn't relying on new wing backs and a keeper to be the answer to all our problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Disgusted about that. As well as being clearly past his best and slower than a week in jail he has been nothing but an imposter in our jersey for the last three years. 

Totally agree. Turns 360 then fires trademark pass into nowhere anytime I've seen him. It really showed difference when Devine played and the once I seen Montgomery. Showing how to be effective in that role.