2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

36 minutes ago, wellfan97 said:

Had a bid knocked back for Archie Davies from Dundalk. If he signed he would have been our third right back behind SOD and the Koutrombis boy we're signing.

https://x.com/Record_Sport/status/1797649232847065592

I'm not convinced SODs will be playing at right back next season as anything other than an emergency back up if we sign the players we want to; he'll probably move inside to wide centre-back.

10 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Totally agree. Turns 360 then fires trademark pass into nowhere anytime I've seen him. It really showed difference when Devine played and the once I seen Montgomery. Showing how to be effective in that role. 

I'm no fan of O'Donnell but Devine wasn't great either...

Devine looked totally out of his depth. IIRC it was at Dens Park when Devine was abysmal in the first half and got subbed at half time, SOD came on and was considerably better.

FWIW I'm not particularly a fan of SOD, some of the things said in previous pages are true but I get the feeling that this season will see move to centre half for him where he looked decent when he filled played there in December - January.

I'm okay with him signing a contract, I'd probably have preferred it was just for 1 year rather than the 2 but we'll no doubt do worse businesses this summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

A few of you are making the point that you're okay with the likes of McGinn, SOD and potentially Mugabi re-signing, but only as squad players for the most part, which would still be ridiculous given how poor that defence performed as a unit over the season. One of them being offered a deal as an experienced backup would be tolerable, but all of them is a crazy approach.

Furthermore, the more defensive spots offered to and accepted by first-team starters from last season, the fewer spots this leaves available to new potential first-team starters, which I am sure you will all agree are needed. The only spots currently available for a like-for-like replacement are Butcher's and Gent's.

So, unless those noted above have accepted considerably reduced financial terms, which we'll never know, perhaps the plan is to double the defence budget from last season to make up for it being the worst-performing in the league. Unlikely. Therefore, I can't think of any other reason why Kettlewell has sought to retain as much of last season's defence as possible other than him being incapable of learning and/or stupid, or they've accepted pennies, which is unlikely.

It's early days, but it looks like Kettlewell is already failing to address the main issues that affected the team last season, and he won't have an excuse if it comes back to bite his arse as the season progresses. And let's not forget that this isn't an isolated scenario with the defence, as we were crying out for a new centre-back in January, but we got a glut of wingbacks instead, one of whom never even played.

You're spot on.  

From what's been shared we made offers to S'OD, McGinn, Butcher, Mugabi and OX .  Keep doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity. 

From the current defence the one guy we really want to sign is Gent, which we may be able to do depending where Bair is headed but none if it inspires confidence that SK knows what he's doing in the transfer market.

I'm not worried about who we haven't signed but offering so many contracts to so many who have proven not to be consistent performers concerns me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Throughthelaces said:

I don’t mind O’Donnell being here as an option an experienced pro to guide young players and come off the bench if he is our starting full back next season I’ll be very disappointed.

If he plays well I’ll be happy if he doesn’t I’ll be disappointed. Like every other player on our team. 

2 hours ago, Cameron_Mcd said:

FWIW I'm not particularly a fan of SOD, some of the things said in previous pages are true but I get the feeling that this season will see move to centre half for him where he looked decent when he filled played there.......

Does that mean then, that McGinn, who has just signed a 2 year deal too, gets bumped? 

2 hours ago, wellfan97 said:

Easton signed a new 2 year deal at Raith puts an end to those rumours.

That suggests to me, that we weren't in for him at all. Agood Championship level player, his best days might possibly be past him at 30 years of age. 

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

You're spot on.  

From what's been shared we made offers to S'OD, McGinn, Butcher, Mugabi and OX .  Keep doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity. 

From the current defence the one guy we really want to sign is Gent, which we may be able to do depending where Bair is headed but none if it inspires confidence that SK knows what he's doing in the transfer market.

I'm not worried about who we haven't signed but offering so many contracts to so many who have proven not to be consistent performers concerns me. 

Bair. Gent. Two players that surely show Kettlewell does know what he's doing. Biereth too. Brodie Spencer. There's been plenty of positives in my view. As for Ox. He's an unknown quantity surely and we don't know yet whether he'd going to be number one or two. I know some people don't rate SOD but others do and some fans do rate McGinn and Bevis. 

Opinions on players don't always align with what people post on here or other forums. 

15 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Bair. Gent. Two players that surely show Kettlewell does know what he's doing. Biereth too. Brodie Spencer. There's been plenty of positives in my view. As for Ox. He's an unknown quantity surely and we don't know yet whether he'd going to be number one or two. I know some people don't rate SOD but others do and some fans do rate McGinn and Bevis. 

Opinions on players don't always align with what people post on here or other forums. 

I agree with you there.

Regarding The Ox, those that have said he must be shite because he couldn't get a game last season don't know what they're talking about. Him not getting a game was all about Kelly and his role within the squad which SK managed very well. The Ox might be shite, he might be decent but I'll give him until the end of the season to show us what he can do.

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

Someone on twitter is considering handing their seasons in for a refund because SOD has signed on again. 

Probably the same guy who boos him everytime he comes on the park.

Don't understand why anyone would get so wound up about a player.

Good riddance if he does give it up and one less a******e to put up with on social media.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

Someone on twitter is considering handing their seasons in for a refund because SOD has signed on again. 

Being an arsehole is a fundamental requirement for the majority of X / twitter users, so no surprise there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Point was our defence has been really poor - the stats and data back that up .

offering the same guys contracts doesn’t stack up to me , unless we’re happy to accept similar amount of goals conceded . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Point was our defence has been really poor - the stats and data back that up .

offering the same guys contracts doesn’t stack up to me , unless we’re happy to accept similar amount of goals conceded . 

Kelly has gone. Butcher has gone. Mugabi is still negotiating clearly and surely other players will come in. As far as I'm concerned the entire team was poor on that long winless run with the odd exception.

I personally think SOD has been singled out a lot. I don't just mean on forums but at games. I think he gets a lot of stick and some other players when they aren't performing don't get the same treatment. I personally don't think these players are bad players - I don't think Kelly is a shit goalie either. I think that long run of games without a win affected the players a lot. 

Probably haven't explained what I mean as well as I could have there. But hopefully you get what I'm trying to say 

• Like 1