2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

Kofi Balmer was coming to us on loan last season .. it was all done and dusted .

Then Mr. Casey decided that he wanted to return , so the Balmer deal was hit on the head.

Interesting that it has raised its head again .. considering the manager wanted him last season …

31 minutes ago, davkel said:

Kofi Balmer was coming to us on loan last season .. it was all done and dusted .

Then Mr. Casey decided that he wanted to return , so the Balmer deal was hit on the head.

Interesting that it has raised its head again .. considering the manager wanted him last season …

Clearly rates him then 

55 minutes ago, stv said:

He maybe heard good things about the Well and wanted to come here.
Like the pitch which encourages the team to play silky passing football or the patient supporters who give all new players two months to bed in before they even think of criticism or the chance to shine and get a big KVV move on the back of one good season or the all you can eat Hup Lee buffet.

Who knows but one thing is for sure we cant get rid of the whole team from last season , its fantasy we just can’t afford it ,  we need to sign some new players and resign others working within the budget and be realistic about our position.

Do you think our players could afford a Hup Lee buffet on the meagre wages we pay them 🤣

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not necessarily. We don't know the details. It could be that St Mirren saw him as a squad player, whereas we see see him as a starter. Who knows? I wouldn't read much into this. 

We need details, why?? 😂

27 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

We need details, why?? 😂

I didn't say that we needed the details, why should we be given them? All I was saying was that without details its very hard for fans to come to an informed view. 

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I didn't say that we needed the details, why should we be given them? All I was saying was that without details its very hard for fans to come to an informed view. 

I refer my honorable friend to my previous reply.
The laughing emoji was intended to indicate it was a joke 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

I refer my honorable friend to my previous reply.
The laughing emoji was intended to indicate it was a joke 

OK Texan. I hold my hands up - missed that mate. 😉

• Like 1

Regarding fee's I am sure I seen online that we were offering no up front fee's for some targets but instead payments going forward based on appearance criteria etc so when we see a fee it doesn't mean an up front payment, could be a few via other methods/criteria on an ongoing basis 

13 minutes ago, Fergie79 said:

Regarding fee's I am sure I seen online that we were offering no up front fee's for some targets but instead payments going forward based on appearance criteria etc so when we see a fee it doesn't mean an up front payment, could be a few via other methods/criteria on an ongoing basis 

Agreed; context is key though. The boy from Dundalk we didn't offer any up front cash for is out of contract, so we can get him on a free in 6 months time when the league there finishes, like we did with Blaney once his was up. Balmer, I would imagine we'll have an up-front fee of some sort to pay as he's contracted for another year or so.

14:05 GAVIN BERRY

St Pauli 'target' Well's Bair

0_Motherwell-v-Livingston-Cinch-Premiership.jpg
Theo Bair (Image: SNS Group)

Motherwell hitman is on the radar of newly-promoted Bundesliga side Theo Bair, according to reports.

The 24-year-old hit 15 goals for the Steelmen last seaon and has been linked with English Championship trio Sunderland, Blackburn and Cardiff City.

But Hamburg-based St Pauli are tooling up for a return to the German top flight and are said to be eyeing the Canada international.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-32898894

34 minutes ago, weeyin said:

3 million (Euros) will open negotiations, and we'll take it from there.

Given our record of cashing in on our saleable assets, I won't hold my breath, if he goes it will no doubt be an undisclosed fee, with at least 1 zero off the end.

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Given our record of cashing in on our saleable assets, I won't hold my breath, if he goes it will no doubt be an undisclosed fee, with at least 1 zero off the end.

I agree we won't be getting 3 mil, but our recent sales of players under contract have been quite lucrative. Kipré is a good example of what can be negotiated. 

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm not quite sure where you're getting that from? When we've been in the position to sell, we've sold relatively well in the last 5-10 years I'd say.

Kipre, Moult, Van Veen, Turnbull, Sol, Scott, Johnson, Heneghan to name a few, have all gone for decent wedges.

The exception to that list is obviously Turnbull, but given the hype and praise Bair has received in the press, I think we'll do pretty well out of any transfer for him. Also, Caldwell comes across as a very sensible CEO and will get us good value for him.

Edit: TransferMarkt has us making about £7million from transfers in the last 10ish years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I'm not quite sure where you're getting that from? When we've been in the position to sell, we've sold relatively well in the last 5-10 years I'd say.

Kipre, Moult, Van Veen, Turnbull, Sol, Scott, Johnson, Heneghan to name a few, have all gone for decent wedges.

The exception to that list is obviously Turnbull, but given the hype and praise Bair has received in the press, I think we'll do pretty well out of any transfer for him. Also, Caldwell comes across as a very sensible CEO and will get us good value for him.

Decent wedges for us maybe but when compared with transfers from the English leagues etc the amounts we get are small change., we either dont get full value or let contracts run down and get nothing. We've always been a selling club so to show real intent especially for a player with a year left on his contract let it be known the bidding starts at 7 figures and take it from there.

If a club like St Pauli are genuinely interested then 2 or 3 million is loose change to them, so aim high. Plus if nobody wants him extend his deal and after another good season we'll be in a better position next year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Decent wedges for us maybe but when compared with transfers from the English leagues etc the amounts we get are small change., we either dont get full value or let contracts run down and get nothing. We've always been a selling club so to show real intent especially for a player with a year left on his contract let it be known the bidding starts at 7 figures and take it from there.

If a club like St Pauli are genuinely interested then 2 or 3 million is loose change to them, so aim high. Plus if nobody wants him extend his deal and after another good season we'll be in a better position next year.

I'm not disagreeing with you about starting high in this case, I'm in full agreement. I said that we've actually got a decent record of selling assets for money that has helped support the club, which you've acknowledged, so what's the issue here?

Comparing our transfer values/selling record with the English leagues is pointless. Everything down there is hyper-inflated because of the value of the Premier League. I would argue we get good/full value because player contracts up here just aren't worth the same as they are down there; that's all part of the fee which is paid. We can't expect to get £XXm for a player who's earning £2.5k a week unless they're on a really long term contract.

9 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Or was it Hamburg FC?

According to the man himself and Willie McLean, it was St Pauli. Said he knocked them back because they refused to pay him a signing on fee. I've a feeling we'd played them in a pre-season friendly, but that bit I might have imagined.

7 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

According to the man himself and Willie McLean, it was St Pauli. Said he knocked them back because they refused to pay him a signing on fee. I've a feeling we'd played them in a pre-season friendly, but that bit I might have imagined.

Thanks for that.  Memory failing me like the rest of me 😱

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Beat them 2 nil in July 74

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Decent wedges for us maybe but when compared with transfers from the English leagues etc the amounts we get are small change., we either dont get full value or let contracts run down and get nothing.

It's a completely different market down south, and shouldn't be compared to our league. The only thing we have in common is the land mass we live on, nothing more. 

What it comes down to is the player's valuation in our eyes and whether he wants the move. We need to look at what he's done, which is one season of fairly prolific goalscoring in a career in which he's not done anything of note for most of it.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Is his current deal structured so that we can add another year to it if we choose? And even if we can do that, if a move has turned the player's head, would it be wise to do so?