2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

4 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

3mil up at least. Player that scores in top league. Has pace. Has composure. Athletic. Still young.

As if they are going to offer us that for Bair. No way. They'll offer us peanuts. But hopefully we won't sell him for that 

5 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

3mil up at least. Player that scores in top league. Has pace. Has composure. Athletic. Still young.

Yeah, the top league in Scotland. And he's scored like that for one season out of like seven seasons. 

If we get a million quid for him we're doing quite well considering what he's done thus far. I'd take that and move on to the next project.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, the top league in Scotland. And he's scored like that for one season out of like seven seasons. 

If we get a million quid for him we're doing quite well considering what he's done thus far. I'd take that and move on to the next project.

No chance taking 1 mil. May as well let contract run out. He's a special player. We should value our assets higher. Don't underestimate assets.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

No chance taking 1 mil. May as well let contract run out. He's a special player. We should value our assets higher. Don't underestimate assets.

We can't value assets higher than the market says they're actually worth though. That's how a marketplace works.

Bair is worth whatever people are willing to pay for him alongside how much we realistically want for him. You can't ask for £3million for a player with one 6 month period of good form and on a contract worth (in relative terms) buttons.

A million now or nothing in a year. It's not rocket science which is the best option.

• Like 1

Lets not get carried away.

Theo Bair is not a special player.

He has confounded everyone except SK by turning out to be a decent player at our level.

Ive no doubt he could continue to develop under SK and become even better. And if he was willing to sign a longer contract to do that and protect our investment, then Id be happy enough with that.

But realistically, any offer in the region of £1m with potential add ons, we are doing a deal.

Our business model demands it.

It would also allow us to sign better defenders, which we really need to do.

SK then needs to pull another rabbit out of the hat!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Lets not get carried away.

Theo Bair is not a special player.

He has confounded everyone except SK by turning out to a decent player at our level.

Ive no doubt he could continue to develop under SK and become even better. And if he was willing to sign a longer contract to do that and protect our investment, then Id be happy enough with that.

But realistically, any offer in the region of £1m with potential add ons, we are doing a deal.

Our business model demands it.

It would also allow us to sign better defenders, which we really need to do.

SK then needs to pull another rabbit out of the hat!

Theo Brer?

thought I do my world famous Grizzly impersonation! 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

We can't value assets higher than the market says they're actually worth though. That's how a marketplace works.

Bair is worth whatever people are willing to pay for him alongside how much we realistically want for him. You can't ask for £3million for a player with one 6 month period of good form and on a contract worth (in relative terms) buttons.

A million now or nothing in a year. It's not rocket science which is the best option.

So pessimistic. Don't be patronising! I know how a market works thanks. Just think by current market he's worth 3 mil. Much lesser players going for less.

5 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

So pessimistic. Don't be patronising! I know how a market works thanks. Just think by current market he's worth 3 mil. Much lesser players going for less.

Pessimistic? £1million for Theo Bair isn't pessimistic, it's excellent. We got half that for Moult who had two seasons of similar goal tallies.

And I'm assuming you mean lesser players are going for more in the current market; who?

Apologies for the tone; as I've said elsewhere, long day and I'm a bit narky.

Bair was worth nothing in 2023. However, what he's shown in 2024 is that he's got what it takes to (a) score goals and (b) further develop. These attributes are worth a lot to the right club. 

As in most things there’s pros and cons. How much money is worth risking on getting Bair? If St Pauli wait to confirm he’s the real deal then at that point you now have other teams interested and his price may go beyond what StPauli can afford and so they don’t get him. So how do Motherwell figure out how much St Pauli are willing to risk? Seems like you’d have to start from the high end so why not ask for 3M, at least to start with? 1M + a decent center half? 

24 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Bair was worth nothing in 2023. However, what he's shown in 2024 is that he's got what it takes to (a) score goals and (b) further develop. These attributes are worth a lot to the right club. 

I agree.

But Id also say £1m is quite a lot for a player we got for nothing and everyone on here had written off when he arrived.

Re Texans post, pretty sure St Pauli will try and low ball us. But if Blackburn and Sunderland are interested we can certainly risk going high and see where we end up.

The benefit of having a full time CEO who knows what he is doing should ensure we extract the maximum fee, should we wish to sell.

Or, more likely, we could look to sell for a relatively agreeable fee of £1 million initially and then add performance-related bonuses that double that or beyond.

It would obviously depend on the player's value to the buying club and what scoring a decent haul of goals would be worth to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

As good as Theo has been for us there is no way on this planet we are going to get 3 million quid for him. He's scored 15 goals. When was the last time we got anywhere near that for a striker? I think anything less than a million is derisory but no way are we going to get 3 for him. If he's worth 3 million Miller is worth 10 million. 

And as far as I'm concerned Motherwell always sell players on for far less than they are worth. Because we have to. Because we have to sell our best assets. Not in a million years will we be selling Bair to anyone for 3 million pounds. 

One season and 15 goals. No way. Never. He's good but he's not worth that. And no one is going to offer us 3 million for him 

• Like 1

I think if you're looking for a bench mark for Bair, the fee we got for James Scott is a reasonable comparison. Both have the physical tools but both prone to missing chances they perhaps should take. Bair is older than Scott was when he left but inflation of prices since should make up for the age difference...

That's my opinion anyway...

• Like 1

My honest opinion is I don't think Theo will be as prolific next season as not an unknown quantity any more. Teams will be more aware of him.  Therefore if we can get anything between £1,000,000 to £1,500,000 then it's great business .

At same time if he is still here next season I certainly won't be complaining 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

My honest opinion is I don't think Theo will be as prolific next season as not an unknown quantity any more. Teams will be more aware of him.  Therefore if we can get anything between £1,000,000 to £1,500,000 then it's great business .

At same time if he is still here next season I certainly won't be complaining 

I agree but I'd say it the other way round. I want to keep him. 

Split the difference. Let him get 10 goals the first half of the season and sell him for 500k in January.

(Add 50k per goal scored in the Copa America this summer).

25 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Split the difference. Let him get 10 goals the first half of the season and sell him for 500k in January.

(Add 50k per goal scored in the Copa America this summer).

Semi final tickets for top tier at metlife at £270+ :O was thinking of dropping in on my way back from DC, think I'll just go get a $10 hotdog and food poisoning at Nathan's in Coney 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Semi final tickets for top tier at metlife at £270+ :O was thinking of dropping in on my way back from DC, think I'll just go get a $10 hotdog and food poisoning at Nathan's in Coney 

Probably cost you more after the medical bills 😅

First of all goals scorers have to do it season after season to be worth big bucks.  Bair doesn't have two decent seasons in a row yet.

Secondly, we are playing at a level of football that is, frankly, guff and miles behind any level of English football that's paying six figures.

There are exceptions but most of the players that move down south don't do much, especially strikers.

Sam Cosgrove being a good example.  Diddy player, had a couple of good seasons of form in Scotland, went down south, did FA.  Birmingham paid 2 million quid for him and he never scored a single goal for them.

Minus penalties, Bair scored 12 goals last season.  To make a million on him over a season on that level of performance at our level would be a great result.

If you can get 3 million even better but I'd be very surprised if anyone paid that for him.  You think teams with an overall transfer budget of probably tens of millions would be looking at him?  I don't.

• Like 3

Awe c'mon Bair is at best a Championship player. Accept has improved but his lack of basics (ball control, heading and positional awareness) are severely lacking. He is often AWOL during a game and pops up for a penalty. For a guy his height and upper body strength should be a Joe Jordan !

Talk of £m offer is ludicrous and if we receive an offer £500k bite their hand off.

IMO slightly better Oli Shaw and arrived to sit on bench

Edited by Dasdeid
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dasdeid said:

Awe c'mon Bair is at best a Championship player. Accept has improved but his lack of basics (ball control, heading and positional awareness) are severely lacking. He is often AWOL during a game and pops up for a penalty. For a guy his height and upper body strength should be a Joe Jordan !

Talk of £m offer is ludicrous and if we receive an offer £500k bite their hand off.

Right? You'd have to be mad to buy a player who scored 15 goals, keen to learn and has room to improve!

1 hour ago, Dasdeid said:

Comparing Bair to Shaw who didn't find the net at all? Who do we replace Bair with if we get 500k? Too many players leave for less than they are worth. 1 mil isn't ludicrous given that Bristol City were rumoured to be looking at an offer of 850k. 

He got six assists as well. Even when he wasn't scoring his work rate was good. And personally I'm sick of seeing our best players being knocked for no reason.