2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

17 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

A mate is uncle of one of the youth players. His son was talking about it. He's also got a nephew at Patrick so can get Goss from there too sometimes. Unless I'm told it's top secret.😉

I thought Goss was playing in Greece?.....ba boom

18 minutes ago, mio said:

Sad to see big Bevis go, I think he’ll do well wherever he ends up. 
maybe his time was up with us but I think he’s very underrated by a lot of our support. On his game he must be an absolute nightmare for any striker to play against, quite quick, hard, good in the air. 
I hope he does well.

I don't there's much of a difference between Mugabi and Casey. Both solid 90% of the time but prone to errors. I think the main difference is that our fans have seen Mugabi making his mistakes for longer and so are less tolerant of him..

20 minutes ago, mio said:

maybe his time was up with us but I think he’s very underrated by a lot of our support. On his game he must be an absolute nightmare for any striker to play against, quite quick, hard, good in the air. 
I hope he does well.

i still think our defensive issues and scapegoats this season were hard done by. Our Goalie hung them out to dry. If you are a defender and go on the park without any confidence of the man behind you it doesn’t end well.

Quick,hard and good in the air with the positional sense of a blind man with a sat nav

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, mio said:

i still think our defensive issues and scapegoats this season were hard done by. Our Goalie hung them out to dry. If you are a defender and go on the park without any confidence of the man behind you it doesn’t end well.

That's no excuse for the dozens of times our defenders didn't mark their man, lost concentration, wandered out of position, gave the ball away, and just underperformed. 

I don't think Bevis was the worst in that regard, but as I said at the end of last season, it wouldn't hurt if we replaced Mugabi, Blaney, Casey and Butcher. There are only so many times you can tell a player what they need to be doing, and they repeated the same mistakes every game. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

That's no excuse for the dozens of times our defenders didn't mark their man, lost concentration, wandered out of position, gave the ball away, and just underperformed. 

I don't think Bevis was the worst in that regard, but as I said at the end of last season, it wouldn't hurt if we replaced Mugabi, Blaney, Casey and Butcher. There are only so many times you can tell a player what they need to be doing, and they repeated the same mistakes every game. 

I think including Blaney in there is a bit harsh; he was one of the few who I saw in the second half of the season (when he played) that often wasn't out of position, or doing any of the things you mention. The others I absolutely agree with.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Bevis wasn't the worst but he was the one out of contract. I think it may be as arbitrary as that. Because Casey and Blaney have the same weaknesses...

28 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Bevis was always a fuck up waiting to happen. Contrary to reports we didn't offer him a contract which restores some of my faith in our recruitment. 

Why did it say on the official site that a new offer had been made? 

48 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I think including Blaney in there is a bit harsh; he was one of the few who I saw in the second half of the season (when he played) that often wasn't out of position, or doing any of the things you mention. The others I absolutely agree with.

Maybe a little harsh on some aspects, but his slack passing caused us a number of problems - I agree he improved later in the season.

My main reason for a complete revamp is that sometimes it's just impossible to break that mindset that crept in across the entire defensive unit.

27 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

It was reduced terms one year deal ……was talking with Morecambe 

That's why I asked earlier because another poster said he wasn't offered a new contract but the official site said different 

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't there's much of a difference between Mugabi and Casey. Both solid 90% of the time but prone to errors. I think the main difference is that our fans have seen Mugabi making his mistakes for longer and so are less tolerant of him..

thats exactly it , hes no better than the day he arrived and could never show any consistency.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

thats exactly it , hes no better than the day he arrived and could never show any consistency.

I don't agree re Casey. Mugabi was good when he was on his game but when he was off he was a bombscare. He's the weakest out of the defence in my view. He gave it everything for the club but I don't think he was good enough. 

I'm sorry to see Bevis leave but I agree that consistency was never his strong point. On his day he's a brick wall but when off it could be partial to the odd error or two. That said, the back line being shuffled and changed week in week out last season can't have helped any of our defenders. The defence as much as any other department on the park requires a level of consistency in terms of selection. Allowing the players (the centre halves in particular) to forge a partnership and understanding. Much like we saw with Hartley and Aldred, Casey and Butcher before Butchers injury. We need to see a more settled back line next season if anything.

5 hours ago, mio said:

I hope he does well.

Mugabi is one of those players that often has a really good game and then just makes a catastrophic clanger.

Unfortunately he's never really managed to eliminate that from his game.

37 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Mugabi is one of those players that often has a really good game and then just makes a catastrophic clanger.

Unfortunately he's never really managed to eliminate that from his game.

Yeah you do have a point, but let’s face it, every single defender in Scotland has a catastrophic clanger in them, hence the reason they play in Scotland.

i think Bevis will go and become a regular somewhere and do well. Just my view tho and I appreciate others don’t feel the same.

• Like 1