2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

He's young enough that hopefully he'll develop. And hard for anyone to shine on that junkie's carpet that Accies play on.

Could be this season's Bair...

Let's hope that is the case. However, it's not unfair for any fan to judge him on his past record. That's all we have to go on at the moment. 

If he comes in and does well, those opinions will change accordingly. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Let's hope that is the case. However, it's not unfair for any fan to judge him on his past record. That's all we have to go on at the moment. 

If he comes in and does well, those opinions will change accordingly. 

What's his past record?

5 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

What's his past record?

I have no idea, I've not had the time to check yet. The point I'm making is that it's fine for fans to base an opinion for the time-being on his previous track record, whatever that may be.

It works both ways. We sign players who come in with a pretty good track record, and we say "that looks like a really good signing, he's played for X, Y or Z and done well."

23 minutes ago, David said:

I have no idea, I've not had the time to check yet. The point I'm making is that it's fine for fans to base an opinion for the time-being on his previous track record, whatever that may be.

It works both ways. We sign players who come in with a pretty good track record, and we say "that looks like a really good signing, he's played for X, Y or Z and done well."

Perfectly understandable that folk have an opinion on the past records of our new signings, most of us probably google them as soon as they're announced. Judging them before they've kicked a ball for us is a different matter, and a lot of the folk who indulge in that will never change their opinions according to performances, for obvious reasons.

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

Perfectly understandable that folk have an opinion on the past records of our new signings, most of us probably google them as soon as they're announced. Judging them before they've kicked a ball for us is a different matter, and a lot of the folk who indulge in that will never change their opinions according to performances, for obvious reasons.

That's true, but the bottom line is that it's fun. I love looking over previous stats and trying to figure out how a player will do for us. 

It's all part of the fun of the close season and the transfer window, isn't it? Everyone making different assumptions, guessing how it'll play out, looking at previous performance for other clubs and so on.

12 minutes ago, David said:

That's true, but the bottom line is that it's fun. I love looking over previous stats and trying to figure out how a player will do for us. 

It's all part of the fun of the close season and the transfer window, isn't it? Everyone making different assumptions, guessing how it'll play out, looking at previous performance for other clubs and so on.

Yeah, no opinions, no forum.

17 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

And remember let's give the lad a chance at least because.......sing along......"I'm only a poor little sparrow......no colourful feathers have I"

Will go over the heads of about 80% of readers 

I’m going with…. If I had the wings of a sparrow….

• Haha 1

https://x.com/record_sport/status/1801545187589571020?s=46&t=wehikD-exiutCByWu64YEQ

John Koutroumbis nears Motherwell deal

Motherwell are set to announce John Koutroumbis as their latest summer signing, writes Scott Burns.

The Steelmen have agreed a deal to sign the right-back, after his recent departure from Perth Glory.

The 26-year-old right back will become Stuart Kettlewell’s third signing.

Kettlewell has already signed centre half Kofi Balmer from Crystal Palace and midfielder Tom Sparrow from Stoke City.

Koutroumbis is primarily a full-back but can also play as a central defender or holding midfielder.

The former Australian under-21 cap has plenty of A-League experience with Newcastle Jets, Western Sydney Wanderers and then Glory.

Koutroumbis previously fought back from a cancer scare when he was at Jets.

Motherwell are also set to sign Serbian striker Filip Stuparevic from Slovenian side Domzale on freedom of contract.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

https://x.com/record_sport/status/1801545187589571020?s=46&t=wehikD-exiutCByWu64YEQ

John Koutroumbis nears Motherwell deal

Motherwell are set to announce John Koutroumbis as their latest summer signing, writes Scott Burns.

The Steelmen have agreed a deal to sign the right-back, after his recent departure from Perth Glory.

The 26-year-old right back will become Stuart Kettlewell’s third signing.

Kettlewell has already signed centre half Kofi Balmer from Crystal Palace and midfielder Tom Sparrow from Stoke City.

Koutroumbis is primarily a full-back but can also play as a central defender or holding midfielder.

The former Australian under-21 cap has plenty of A-League experience with Newcastle Jets, Western Sydney Wanderers and then Glory.

Koutroumbis previously fought back from a cancer scare when he was at Jets.

Motherwell are also set to sign Serbian striker Filip Stuparevic from Slovenian side Domzale on freedom of contract.

If we get these two in (I doubt Burns would put his name to either if we weren't) and sort out a left wing back I think we're doing pretty well.

I would love to get another attacking mid type, along with a winger or two; that way we have some options to change shape/switch it up if the 3-4-2-1 / 3-5-2 isn't working.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

If we get these two in (I doubt Burns would put his name to either if we weren't) and sort out a left wing back I think we're doing pretty well.

I would love to get another attacking mid type, along with a winger or two; that way we have some options to change shape/switch it up if the 3-4-2-1 / 3-5-2 isn't working.

Hard to disagree with that. Although I'm most interested in seeing who we bring in goalkeeper wise as it'll give an indication as to where Oxborough is first choice, second choice or competing with the other keeper...

37 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Hard to disagree with that. Although I'm most interested in seeing who we bring in goalkeeper wise as it'll give an indication as to where Oxborough is first choice, second choice or competing with the other keeper...

Yes, agreed.

I've spoken to a few folk with decent club sources who say the management team rate Ox quite highly. If that's the case it does beg the question why we didn't bring him in instead of Kelly at points, but I guess if we said you'll get next season as #1 and us playing Kelly gets us Euros cash to bolster the shambles that played in front of him, it makes a bit of sense.

Someone said on P&B or here, I forget which, a couple of weeks ago (or days, what a fucking week it's been) that we'd missed out on 4 keepers. One of them was that Brentford lad that went on loan to St Mirren.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

We still have Tierney and I'd like to see him given the chance to prove himself after what looked like a mostly successful loan spell at Walsall.

8 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

We still have Tierney and I'd like to see him given the chance to prove himself after what looked like a mostly successful loan spell at Walsall.

True, forgot about him. Not convinced he's going to be physical enough to survive being anything other than an impact sub but aye, that's a fair point.

19 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Yes, agreed.

I've spoken to a few folk with decent club sources who say the management team rate Ox quite highly. If that's the case it does beg the question why we didn't bring him in instead of Kelly at points

That's standard "footballing wisdom" - you don't drop your keeper. And even less likely when he is also your captain.

It doesn't make sense to me, but given that every manager in the world seems to follow it, maybe there is something to it.

Happy with the early signings so far. Looking forward to see what develops between now and the end of August.

We have sign Koutroumbis.

In the last 4 games he played his team conceded 23 goals. Not exactly encouraging.

Also we now have four right sided centre backs none of whom are more than 6 feet tall. Great planning from Kettlewell.

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We have sign Koutroumbis.

In the last 4 games he played his team conceded 23 goals. Not exactly encouraging.

Also we now have four right sided centre backs none of whom are more than 6 feet tall. Great planning from Kettlewell.

Has he got a Scottish Granny?