2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

Not usually one to jump on signings before they've kicked a ball, but that could at best be described as 'uninspiring'.

Yeah I’m all for giving every new signing the benefit of the doubt and indeed I will give Ross Callachan the same but his injury record is concerning. 

25 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Not usually one to jump on signings before they've kicked a ball, but that could at best be described as 'uninspiring'.

I do sort of agree but the same could be said of when Bair signed.

i don’t mind Kettlewell but I do think a big issue of having a manager who’s only had a couple of managerial gigs and only played at a low level in Scotland is that he has a real lack of contacts to get players.

He must rely heavily on scouts who usually again have very little contacts in the game.

3 minutes ago, mio said:

I do sort of agree but the same could be said of when Bair signed.

i don’t mind Kettlewell but I do think a big issue of having a manager who’s only had a couple of managerial gigs and only played at a low level in Scotland is that he has a real lack of contacts to get players.

He must rely heavily on scouts who usually again have very little contacts in the game.

You're right re Bair. 

14 minutes ago, santheman said:

Maybe this is the market we're operating in now.

I f*****g hope not.

People need to wake up to reality it's probably the only market we can afford. That said it gives the usual suspects who think every player we sign is shite an early season boost of trolling and negative posting its their pre season.

• Like 6

Just now, Spiderpig said:

People need to wake up to reality it's probably the only market we can afford. That said it gives the usual suspects who think every player we sign is shite an early season boost of trolling and negative posting its their pre season.

Why not just sign one decent player rather than Halliday, Callachan and Sparrow who will probably contribute heehaw?

Kettlewell's squad building is mental. He brought in seven short term wingbacks last season as well as extending SOD. 

51 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Appreciate that Scottish football is getting worse year by year and  we're relative to that in terms of budget, but overall we must have signed bucket loads of journeymen.  Please note I'm not pointing any comment at any single player , it's more about the sum of all parts. 

Our perm signings since Dawes has come in have in the main been underwhelming.  I just don't see any plan that gives me cause to think we're on an upward trajectory. 

I know Bair will be blasted back at me here, yes he performed well above expectations but in the whole we've not made many perm signings that have proven to be that valuable since likes of Spittal/Slattery arrived on the scene. 

I'd almost rather we brought in mainly loanees - they've been far better quality than most of the perm signings. 

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Good move for him, he was never really up to premiership standard, had a decent turn of pace but not much else.

I think he could pick a pass, too. He was decent as a high-10/shadow striker for KVV at points but like you say, never quite consistent enough for premiership standard. Also too small, really.

15 hours ago, steelboy said:

Why not just sign one decent player rather than Halliday, Callachan and Sparrow who will probably contribute heehaw?

Kettlewell's squad building is mental. He brought in seven short term wingbacks last season as well as extending SOD. 

Kettlewell’s management and recruitment actually mirrors the club itself. Cheap, unimaginable, tinpot, receding by the year and on a one way street to the lower leagues and part time football. It really is a matter of when and not if both of those scenarios happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

Kettlewell’s management and recruitment actually mirrors the club itself. Cheap, unimaginable, tinpot, receding by the year and on a one way street to the lower leagues and part time football. It really is a matter of when and not if both of those scenarios happen.

It might be cheap but it's also expensive.

We can't afford decent players but we can apparently afford players who aren't fit to play. We roughly know the playing budget and we know it's Kettlewell's choice to load up with sub standard quantity over trying to bring in some decent quality.

Spittal's form was inconsistent for us but he played almost every minute while he was here so from that point of view he was very good value. Compare that to guys like Obika and Soare who basically got paid to do nothing. That's the kind of signing we can't afford.

That's undoubtedly true and a huge irritant for me, that for a club that never stops bleating about being cash strapped and rattling the begging bowls we don't half sign some amount of dross, some of which we know from the outset are perma-crocked. When you think of the money we've spunked down the pan in the last year alone on the likes of Obika, Halliday, Souare, Shaw and giving SO'D an extension then it's frightening and infuriating.

But hey "c'mon Taylor Swift gees some money"

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Well we are a small fan owned club so what do you expected?  The only reason we've hung with the big boys so long is that we should have been relegated three times and got away with it due to the absolute shit show that is Scottish football.

Pretty much the whole of Scottish football is pure diddy stuff so we're always fighting against the tide just in terms of having sensible medium term goals and maintaining a standard of professionalism.

But hey, that's how it is and if it takes more out of you than it gives back, we're all allowed to walk away.

And honestly, I'd rather support Motherwell as is, than have some billionaire come in as use us at a play thing.

Motherwell might be a lot of things that aren't very inspiring but we are authentic.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MJC said:

That's undoubtedly true and a huge irritant for me, that for a club that never stops bleating about being cash strapped and rattling the begging bowls we don't half sign some amount of dross, some of which we know from the outset are perma-crocked. When you think of the money we've spunked down the pan in the last year alone on the likes of Obika, Halliday, Souare, Shaw and giving SO'D an extension then it's frightening and infuriating.

But hey "c'mon Taylor Swift gees some money"

What's SOD got to do with the perma-crocked?