2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

18 hours ago, Yodo said:

Slattery Paton Callachan Halliday slowest midfield in the league 

Just means we'll never get caught out on the counter attack as they'll still be trying to get up the pitch. 🤣

Think we've been better without Slattery than with him.  Look at the results when Lennon Miller was out and look at them when Slattery was out.  Think it's pretty telling.  Would not have offered him a new contract and I'm assuming he's one of the better paid players.

Paton isn't the greatest but he rarely gives you less than 100% and if you blend the midfield to include technically better players I think he can play a role.

Callachan could honestly go either way.  Worth pointing out the guy has played well over 140 matches and scored 20 goals at this level for various teams so it's not totally outlandish.  Obviously his injury record at County is pretty alarming but he was one of the better midfielders in the league two or three seasons ago.  Can he replicate that form? The jury is out but I think you need to give him a chance.  Kettlewell has taken a risk but it's premature to lambast him on it.  Let's see some performances and results first.

Halliday should stick to podcasting, offered very little last season.  Only thing you can say is maybe a pre-season will sharpen him up but he's turning 33 and we already have too many older players especially in the defensive areas.

12 hours ago, wunderwell said:

I'd say it's the opposite to remain with the status quo we need to rely on funds like this.
So the opposite in terms of supporters.....

What ever you want

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Darren Edward Andrew Randolph is an Irish professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper. He is currently a free agent. Randolph has also represented Ireland at basketball.

If he's at a fighting weight bring him home.

• Like 1

Someone on here is advocating combining four wages and bringing in one top player on that sort of money. They clearly do not know or understand how a dressing room woks. Derek Weir when asked at the AGM why we did not try to sign Van Veen was quite clear that senior dedicated professionals ( I think he mentioned Kelly,  McGinn and O'Donnell ) would not be happy and could have had detrimental effects on moral.

2 hours ago, sinjy said:

Someone on here is advocating combining four wages and bringing in one top player on that sort of money. They clearly do not know or understand how a dressing room woks. Derek Weir when asked at the AGM why we did not try to sign Van Veen was quite clear that senior dedicated professionals ( I think he mentioned Kelly,  McGinn and O'Donnell ) would not be happy and could have had detrimental effects on moral.

Think what they were emphasising is quality over quantity. Clubs our size do need to speculate at times. Not quite x 4 amount but show ambition in attracting higher quality. Team improves and morale improves. It is competitive sport after all.  Players not always happy and shouldn't have control over manager. All have chance to impress for terms. If they can't they can go.

9 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Think what they were emphasising is quality over quantity. Clubs our size do need to speculate at times.

We speculate all the time - that's how we ended up with players like Kipre and Ojamaa - and more recently Slattery, Davor, Moses, Stuparević and, of course, Bair. What we can't afford to do is break the wage structure for one or two players at the cost of leaving us 2 or 3 players short in the squad. We've seen first hand on multiple occasions how injuries can wreak havoc on our normally small pool.

We ended up in administration because Boyle tried that approach with guys like Spencer and Goram.

I thought the point was if you have a set budget rather than spend it on say 25 players, spend the same budget on c18 players instead.  Overall go smaller squad and higher spend per player but keeping the same budget.  

Last season we seemed to do both, smaller squad and smaller per player budget. 

I can see the argument of less players and better quality but we'd need a deeper pool of youngsters coming through which is harder to achieve as each season passes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

Think what they were emphasising is quality over quantity. Clubs our size do need to speculate at times. Not quite x 4 amount but show ambition in attracting higher quality. Team improves and morale improves. It is competitive sport after all.  Players not always happy and shouldn't have control over manager. All have chance to impress for terms. If they can't they can go.

Quality over quantity is ok but when you need lots of positions filled we are in the situation we are. 

49 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I thought the point was if you have a set budget rather than spend it on say 25 players, spend the same budget on c18 players instead.  Overall go smaller squad and higher spend per player but keeping the same budget.  

Last season we seemed to do both, smaller squad and smaller per player budget. 

I can see the argument of less players and better quality but we'd need a deeper pool of youngsters coming through which is harder to achieve as each season passes. 

Bigger wages doesn’t garentee better quailty or performances .Only that the agent got more dosh for his client. Look at Killie with KVV what a waste of money. Its a balancing act to stick to a budget like ours.

2 hours ago, stv said:

Bigger wages doesn’t garentee better quailty or performances .Only that the agent got more dosh for his client. Look at Killie with KVV what a waste of money. Its a balancing act to stick to a budget like ours.

completely understand that and I'm not advocating that we spend 3 - 4x on a single player. 

It's harsh though to see us losing the ability to compete with several other clubs who haven't stayed in the SPL. Likes of StMirren, Killie, Dundee etc.  

6 hours ago, sinjy said:

If they have a problem they can sit down and watch their season highlights and reflect on the fact that they are extremely fortunate to still be at the club.

Sign shite players to keep Stephen O'Donnell happy is the kind of logic you would expect from Kettlewell.

As I said earlier in the thread, do those players even want to come to Motherwell? For instance, instead of signing four players at the wage we usually offer for a single player, let's say we actually do consider combining those four salaries to buy one player. Just for arguments sake.

You'll often find that players commanding the equivalent of four players' wages at our level will attract interest from clubs higher up the hierarchy, who see that combined four-player salary as their standard, single-player salary. Consequently, they are likely to offer far more than we can in other aspects besides salary.

In essence, it wouldn't work. It's a very simplistic way of looking at transfer dealings. It’s easy to plan with rough estimates, but the real world is usually far more complicated.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, David said:

As I said earlier in the thread, do those players even want to come to Motherwell? For instance, instead of signing four players at the wage we usually offer for a single player, let's say we actually do consider combining those four salaries to buy one player. Just for arguments sake.

You'll often find that players commanding the equivalent of four players' wages at our level will attract interest from clubs higher up the hierarchy, who see that combined four-player salary as their standard, single-player salary. Consequently, they are likely to offer far more than we can in other aspects besides salary.

In essence, it wouldn't work. It's a very simplistic way of looking at transfer dealings. It’s easy to plan with rough estimates, but the real world is usually far more complicated.

That's the basic principle but it's showing ambition to tempt higher quy players so we should try.

32 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

That's the basic principle but it's showing ambition to tempt higher quy players so we should try.

I'm fairly sure that we don't actively try not to sign good players. But, like it not, those factors I mentioned will come into play. 

37 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Any word on a goalkeeper signing? Or are we going away for out preseason camp with only one goalie? 

Presumably we'll have nominated an outfield player as back up goalie, unless we have a trialist.  Maybe Neil Alexander has been registered as temporary back up?

1 hour ago, David said:

I'm fairly sure that we don't actively try not to sign good players. But, like it not, those factors I mentioned will come into play. 

There will always be players paid more in football. Always the option to bid or pay higher and inevitably change in salary of players 

8 hours ago, David said:

It's definitely happened in the past Porter, Hughes, Nicky Law right up to Liam Kelly.

The idea that we should be worried about the sensibilities of a guy like SOD who personally conceded more penalties than we kept clean sheets is mental. If he doesn't like it good luck finding another club. 

I'm not saying we should have broke the bank for KVV but if you look at our midfield options Kettlewell has brought to the club it's shambolic.

• Sad 1