2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

17 hours ago, stv said:

More back peddling than the Tour De France stuck in reverse. Twelve months ago SK was clueless for signing a useless St Johnstone reject , that would never amount to anything If that was the level of player we were signing we were doomed.
Thank goodness everyone exept SK was talking shite

It's possible for opinion to evolve, you don't have to take a fundamentalist position, especially in an ever changing landscape like football.

Bair was rubbish at St Johnstone.  When we signed him, Kettlewell obviously saw something in him, but he had no track record as a player and I don't think the fan reaction was unjustified.

He was better at Motherwell and I think almost all were happy enough to judge him on his form in claret and amber.

I think it will be interesting to watch his career because he's a difficult player to really judge.

I'd compare him to someone like Cedric Kipre, he has an athleticism and physique that puts him above our level, but he's very raw and you wonder if he has the technique or game intelligence to really go to the top of the game.

Good luck to him and hopefully we get to invest some of the fee in the team.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's possible for opinion to evolve, you don't have to take a fundamentalist position, especially in an ever changing landscape like football.

You'd hope so. 

Yet every transfer window we hear the absolute judgements in every player who is "shite", " too slow", "can't pass", " can"t tackle", "can't shoot", " wage thief" etc.

Same as the absolute judgements that are tossed out during the League Cup groups when new players are playing together competively for the first time. 

Maybe, having seen so many examples of players developing at Fir Park, fans would sit back and enjoy watching players evolve. It's certainly a big part of the experience for me.

However, if fans are happy to cast instant judgement on players saying how terrible they are, I don't think it's unfair for others to point out how wrong they were. 

• Like 1

Is Bair our 4th record transfer sale?

turnbull

mcfadden

odonnell

then Bair? If so that’s amazing. Considering the cries of outrage 6 months ago when Biereth left and we were “stuck” with Bair up front

22 minutes ago, mio said:

Is Bair our 4th record transfer sale?

turnbull

mcfadden

odonnell

then Bair? If so that’s amazing. Considering the cries of outrage 6 months ago when Biereth left and we were “stuck” with Bair up front

How much did we get for James Scott? 

We signed Bair following a friendly match vs St Johnstone in December 2022 when the World Cup break was on - Kettlewell in his post as Reserves Manager was at the game and Bair scored 3 against us as well as ragdolling the defence for the remainder of the game, that's where SK saw the potential. 

Great business for us given he could go onto having another "off" season, wish him all the best! An absolute grafter!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I just hope the funds are used on the squad no excuses and not to fix seats or fix a wall or any other shite.

SK has already said he's planning to bring in 2 or 3 more players.

Zero chance, however, we spend an extra million on new faces.

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I just hope the funds are used on the squad no excuses and not to fix seats or fix a wall or any other shite.

Hearing that a big chunk of it is going to be invested in the women’s team, with the rest being used to make our new away kit…

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, weeyin said:

SK has already said he's planning to bring in 2 or 3 more players.

Zero chance, however, we spend an extra million on new faces.

I’m relatively happy with the attackers signed so far, but, if Bair is sold, the Club needs to invest some of the fee received on a proper replacement with sell on potential, and not another project. We got lucky with Bair, so kudos for that, but it’s rare it’ll happen twice in a row. 

10 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I’m relatively happy with the attackers signed so far, but, if Bair is sold, the Club needs to invest some of the fee received on a proper replacement with sell on potential, and not another project. We got lucky with Bair, so kudos for that, but it’s rare it’ll happen twice in a row. 

I'm sure SK will have been planning for that knowing that it was a near certainty Bair would be moving on.

Strikers are always a gamble though. As well as being confidence players, they need to fit in to the system. SK has done well managing that with Bair and van Veen, so hopefully the new intake of strikers will have similar success (or at least one of them does).

29 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'm sure SK will have been planning for that knowing that it was a near certainty Bair would be moving on.

Strikers are always a gamble though. As well as being confidence players, they need to fit in to the system. SK has done well managing that with Bair and van Veen, so hopefully the new intake of strikers will have similar success (or at least one of them does).

Robinson looks the most likely to perform as a proper number 9, whereas Moses is probably more of a penalty box finisher, time will tell with Stuparevic, and I assume Ferrie will go out on loan. Therefore, I’d like to see us sign another big athlete like Bair, who can batter through the middle of defensive lines. 

17 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Robinson looks the most likely to perform as a proper number 9, whereas Moses is probably more of a penalty box finisher, time will tell with Stuparevic, and I assume Ferrie will go out on loan. Therefore, I’d like to see us sign another big athlete like Bair, who can batter through the middle of defensive lines. 

I would be happy with Moses and Robinson leading the line  really like the look of them both however we are really crying out for someone on the creative side of things feel like we are missing on that front. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Agreed; Moses on Saturday did enough to convince me that he can't play the complete forward/lone striker position (right now, anyway) but based on his movement and positioning, definitely can play as a poacher/on the shoulder type striker. I think him and Robinson together with one of Nicholson/Stuparavic behind them could do some damage. Watching him warming up reminded me of Porter's finishing*; he always found a corner and very rarely, if at all, missed the target.

*I am not for one second comparing the two ability wise as Porter was one of the best "complete" strikers I've seen at FP, just commenting on the fact that Moses looks like he can finish similarly.

Like others have said, Robinson definitely showed some graft, nice touches and a willingness to drive at defenders (his shot from distance wasn't too bad, either) when he was on. I think he's also deceptively quick; he's quite a gangly lad at 6'2" but definitely covered ground well.

Stuparevic doesn't strike me as a runner; very much a bigger-hold-up-and-create-space-back-to-the-goal type which is actually a welcome option/different style.

You can actually see SK's recruitment there has worked quite well; all three of our first team strikers offer something different that can compliment the others' ability/playing style.

I'd still like another creative midfielder type to come in; we were definitely lacking the killer pass on Saturday at times and going up against two blocks of four/a four and a five we didn't demonstrate any real penetration. I would argue that was probably more down to personnel in the first half and a lack of urgency; we definitely did better in the second half and I thought we started to get in behind a bit more when Robinson and Stuparevic came on.

RWB wise, I think McDermott showed some decent touches/willingness to get in behind in his cameo but we definitely need another body there if he ends up going out on loan and Johnny K is out injured for a while. As much as I'm a fan of SODs, his days of playing as the complete wing back outside emergency cover are behind him.

4 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Maybe the club will put away some money to cover us for the infamous "10th place finish and no cup run" that has lots of people on socials ready to press the panic button and hand control to Hollywood Erik.

Think we'll need to get in another LWB & RWB soon, presumably from the loan market. Seddon now injured as well as Jonny K out for a couple of months.

Definitely need a creative mid for the 10 role, Paton cannae do it and I'm not sure how many games Nicholson will manage.

Obviously we are signing a striker to replace Bair, not got a clue who it'll be.

8 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Definitely need a creative mid for the 10 role, Paton cannae do it and I'm not sure how many games Nicholson will manage.

Stuparevic is probably lined up to play as a 10.