2024/25 pre-season thread

David

3 hours ago, santheman said:

There's one thing certain and that's politics and religion should be nowhere near a football forum.

All it causes is arguments.

Lots of things cause arguments. Not just politics and religion. I get your point though. Personally I was just happy not to be caught up in any walk on the way home today. 

When we were all kids we were told we should be seen and not heard.

We were told that you shouldnt do politics and religion in public.

These tropes were peddled by folk who wanted to ensure that good people didnt get beyond their stations and try and make life a little bit better for everyone.

Thankfully, a lot of good people ignored that shite and life has got better for women, catholics, jewish folk, muslims, gay people, folks of ethnic origins etc etc.

You dont need to not talk about these things at the football. You just need to be "sound" and not be an arsehole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A few observations from yesterday:

• Much like last season, we have zero width and no plan B.
  • Miller is a different class and will be sold soon. 
  • Without Bair, we don't seem to have anyone capable of playing the solo striker role.
  • Someone please tell Kettlewell that Paton isn't a Spittal replacement. 
  • Gordon is a great signing and should start every game as the main CB. 
  • Why do we have so many injuries? Again. 
  • Bigots everywhere. 
  • The League Cup games will help determine the settled 11. 

25 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

What was the starting XI?

Ox

SOD Casey Gordon Blaney Wilson

Miller Halliday

Wells Paton

Moses

He seems to be sticking with the Steve Clarke tactics despite the players not being suited to it. 

He's probably missing Seddon, Nicholson and Robinson from the first choice XI but it's still very poor. 

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Ox

SOD Casey Gordon Blaney Wilson

Miller Halliday

Wells Paton

Moses

He seems to be sticking with the Steve Clarke tactics despite the players not being suited to it. 

He's probably missing Seddon, Nicholson and Robinson from the first choice XI but it's still very poor. 

Thanks. Did Wilson and Wells look ready for the first team?

2 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Wells looked miles off it but it was a difficult one for him because of how poor our play in possession was. Despite starting 10 players who were at the club last season we had zero structure or attacking patterns. 

Wilson was decent and I'd say he showed enough to prove he can back up Seddon. 

You do know it was a pre season friendly for getting fitness?.

I doubt the manager or the players really cared whether they won or not. The league cup will sort out any tactics and formations for the league season starting.

How anyone can read anything in to that game is absolutely laughable.

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

Wilson was absolutely fine, had a few forays down the flank and some good balls into the box. He had some interplay with Paton who was talking him through the game. He wasn't really tested defensively and that will come with games. Wells was ok as well.

However you cant base that friendly on whether they are first team ready. Just need to get more exposure and minutes in games. I am sure the managers and coaches will be manage that exposure. It was nice to see them get a start though.

10 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I doubt the manager or the players really cared whether they won or not.

I take your point but for me I want to see players and managers who take the field wanting to win every game they play in, bounce games to cup finals etc, and any that don't should not be playing for the club.

Just now, Spiderpig said:

I take your point but for me I want to see players and managers who take the field wanting to win every game they play in, and any that don't should not be playing for the club.

Seriously...it was a friendly..your points are fine for the competitive stuff but they need to work on tactics and formations in a match environment as well, these games are not about winning. We don't need guys getting any more needless injuries just because you want them chasing a completely pointless win in a friendly and being unavailable for competitive games. That's just madness.

5 hours ago, wellfan said:

A few observations from yesterday:

• Without Bair, we don't seem to have anyone capable of playing the solo striker role.
  • Someone please tell Kettlewell that Paton isn't a Spittal replacement. 
  • Why do we have so many injuries? Again. 
  • The League Cup games will help determine the settled 11. 

Some merit in what you say. It was a friendly however, although someone at the club clearly forgot to tell Livingston that. Injuries indoubtedly affected the team selection. I thought Paton played well, up to a point but, through necessity, was played in a role for which he's unsuited. I don't know what kind of midfielder Callachan is but yesterday highlighted that we badly need a substitute for Nicholson should he ever be injured.  

Disappointing to pick up so many injuries early on. The flip side is that we had to field some youngsters and give them gametime.  I didn't think Wells made much of an impact as he was up against far bigger and more experienced / streetwise opponents. The experience will do him good though.  I have high hopes for Wilson but he had an ok game yesterday, no better. Didn't do much wrong to be fair but Livingston largely nullified him in an attacking sense after the break. 

I doubt if we'll see a settled team before the start of September, at the earliest. Bair and perhaps Miller may well move on late in the window. Then we have to source a replacement(s). In any event I doubt if we'll see Bair play much before mid August. Injuries too will delay a settled team until maybe September?

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

Wells looked miles off it but it was a difficult one for him because of how poor our play in possession was. Despite starting 10 players who were at the club last season we had zero structure or attacking patterns. 

Wilson was decent and I'd say he showed enough to prove he can back up Seddon. 

Mad Dog beat me to the question.

I've always thought Wilson was the one that was most likely to step up if given the opportunity.

4 hours ago, witchfindergeneral said:

did anyone go to Linlithgow? Supposedly their goals were a penalty and a from a cross. Was SOD's playing by any chance?

I tried to go but all the trains were cancelled from Queen Street heading there.

4 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

I tried to go but all the trains were cancelled from Queen Street heading there.

ScotRail's service is about as reliable as our defence is at dealing with crosses.