2024/25 pre-season thread

David

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Our choice of strikers for the opening fixture(s) could be somewhat limited, as things stand, if the Bair is afforded a wee well deserved break after international duty. 

If he's still here - I would expect to see a couple more strikers announced (loans maybe) even if we don't lose Bair. We're apparently looking at a Serbian striker -Stuparevic

Its a wee bit concerning once again that we started pre season yesterday with so many squad vacancies and our our main striker away on international duty. Only 1 senior goalie, only 1 senior striker and no left back. Of course, its quite possible that we have players on trial or sigend but not yet announced. Concerning, but no reason whatever to panic.  SK did say that he wanted to get business done early this year, but thats easier said than done. Still it does hamper our league cup preparation.  

"A new era could be opening up this afternoon for Motherwell... an era in which some of the top sides in Europe could grace the Fir Park turf.

That's the promise this May Sunday afternoon from the club chairman Ian Livingstone and director Bill Samuel.

And invitations could soon be going out to Spanish cracks Barcelonaand West Germany's European Cup-finalists Borussia Moenchen-Gladbach."

(Programme via Ajax, 29 May 1977.)

Oh, such innocent day.

Never mind, bring on Livvi.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its a wee bit concerning once again that we started pre season yesterday with so many squad vacancies and our our main striker away on international duty. Only 1 senior goalie, only 1 senior striker and no left back. Of course, its quite possible that we have players on trial or sigend but not yet announced. Concerning, but no reason whatever to panic.  SK did say that he wanted to get business done early this year, but thats easier said than done. Still it does hamper our league cup preparation.  

It's hardly surprising given the window only opened recently and there are 10 weeks before it closes. If I was a player I wouldn't be in a rush to sign a contract this soon either.

I understand that managers want all their business done early, but they way transfers work these days it's just not possible. And the way the English system operates, if we are looking to bring in loans from down south, those deals don't happen until the end of August.

I'd almost be more worried if we had concluded our business before our overseas training camp, because I'd be wondering how many targets we'd missed out on by not waiting.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, mio said:

I see the ozzy full back is out injured. 

great start!! Just as well SOD re-signed.

Pretty standard at this stage of the season. Zero chances taken.

47 minutes ago, mio said:

I see the ozzy full back is out injured. 

great start!! Just as well SOD re-signed.

Obviously finding the traditional Scottish pre season a bit tough.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Signing a player with a known injury. That's classic Motherwell. 

I'd guess 50% or more of players have known injuries at any given point in time. Not signing any of them would limit our options.