L Cup Montrose v Motherwell 16/07/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

You said he had signed no attacking midfielders. If you're going to criticise him (and there's plenty to criticise him for), at least stick to facts...

Tbh I forgot he exists but he's only one player and a sicknote.

Watching Paton and Halliday was embarrassing tonight. The fact that the manager thinks that's acceptable is criminal. 

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

15 games without a win last season. He's already on his last life. 

If it's good enough for Alexander. 

Yeah sacking the manager two matches into the season really worked swell last time.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Yeah sacking the manager two matches into the season really worked swell last time.

I'd already be sounding out Rhys McCabe.

It's pretty obvious Kettlewell isn't up to the task. Unless he pulls out a KVV/Biereth/2024 Bair we are in bother.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'd already be sounding out Rhys McCabe.

It's pretty obvious Kettlewell isn't up to the task. Unless he pulls out a KVV/Biereth/2024 Bair we are in bother.

Did he not sign Biereth and Bair?   I haven't even had my summer holidays yet.  If situation bad come November then I will be concerned but certainly not now 

Trying not to overreact but why does he keep playing 541 with no wingers you either play 5212 or you bring in 2 wide players with pace so we are at least a transitional threat. Painful watch.

• Like 1

Well our seedlings essentially gone so If we get through the group top we’ve the old firm or Killie or st Mirren to look forward to. It’s a simple matter to me that we’re a premiership side and we should be winning these games comfortably. I’d have took 1-0 and been quite happy but that was an appalling result

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mootherwell86 said:

This is an absolutely hilarious conversation to be having on the 16th of July. 

While I don't disagree with your point, you could play devil's advocate and say it's not an unreasonable conversation given the number of players we've brought in already. You could say that having signed that many players, the bones of the team should be there already be in place. Yes, a few players are injured but again that leads to questions.

I'm not criticising the manager and I agree it's early. But to say you can't make a case against him is a stretch...

4 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

While I don't disagree with your point, you could play devil's advocate and say it's not an unreasonable conversation given the number of players we've brought in already. You could say that having signed that many players, the bones of the team should be there already be in place. Yes, a few players are injured but again that leads to questions.

I'm not criticising the manager and I agree it's early. But to say you can't make a case against him is a stretch...

I think it's clear we are missing Bair and the team needs to gel. That's been obvious at the last two home games. 

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

With the amount of signings we’ve made it was never going to gel over night. 

The balance of the squad is clearly not quite right. We haven’t added enough pace or energy into the team and that’ll need to be rectified before the end of the window. 

I reckon we’re a striker, 2 attacking midfielders and an athletic box-to-box midfielder from having a decent squad. 

I agree with a lot of points being made by @steelboy but that type of short term thinking and poor governance is the reason we’ve struggled for the last few years. 

Let’s see how we’re looking in October…

30 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Window doesn't close for 6 weeks.  Players aren't up to speed and won't be until we are into the league season.

Bit early for knicker wetting.  

How about we agree to wait until, say, November?

You're completely right. It's obvious players aren't up to speed. Even when we won the last two games that was obvious. We are missing Spittal. Bair and in my view Slattery. Talking about punting Kettlewell on any level due to tonights result is completely ludicrous. We aren't the only team who have dropped points against opposition on that on paper we should have beaten 

17 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Trying not to overreact but why does he keep playing 541 with no wingers you either play 5212 or you bring in 2 wide players with pace so we are at least a transitional threat. Painful watch.

Because he's got the tactical nous of a conservative cabbage, which was apparent for most of last season as well, so it's not an overreaction to be pissed off at a scenario repeating itself. Fortunately for him, however, he's got time and a player budget to try to build a better squad and develop a better shape with options, but if he signs another fucking wingback and holding midfielder instead of a striker and attacking midfielder, he'll be on his way out before the Club has a chance to extend his contract. 

• Like 1

Just going to say this folks......this time last year we had signed Bair and forum was on meltdown.   Roll on a year and we have sold him for an amazing fee.

Basically I am saying let's all relax and see how we are sitting once new players settle in and we add a few faces.   And let's not start singling out players again......Paton seems to be the next target but giving him stick ain't gonna help.

COYW

• Like 1

We still need at least one wing back. 

Wilson isn't up to being a squad player and if the Wolves boy isn't up to starting we need a starting RWB. 

Casey, McGinn Balmer and Kouratoubis all play the same position. Not signing a left sided centre back will be a big mistake. 

• Like 1