L Cup Montrose v Motherwell 16/07/2024

SteelmaninOZ

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

I don't see anyone who is injured who's going to turn this team around. 

Hibs, Airdrie and Dundee are all scoring goals. We have come out and barely getting a shot on target against two part time teams who didn't look great but handled us easily in open play. 

You've literally not seen some of them play.

None of us have.

And turn us around from what? Being a top level side that almost always gets out the group stages of the league cup?

You need to relax.  Let events unfold and when players are actually fit and the squad is finalised and we've got a round of fixtures in, then you start looking at it.

Sure, it's a possibility we'll be utter mince and bottom of the league but it's no more a possibility than us being middling or even being around the Top 6.  However all three are speculation right now based on factors you can't possibly foresee or know and in your case it's speculation with a built in negativity and bias.

Just let the season happen first.  Then you can present a case on actually facts and context.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You've literally not seen some of them play.

None of us have.

And turn us around from what? Being a top level side that almost always gets out the group stages of the league cup?

I've seen three games now where we have barely created any chances and there's no sign the manager is going to change anything. On Saturday we created nothing against a Junior level side and his response was to put out an even more negative starting line up. 

Kettlwell doesn't have a clean slate. I've seen people say we scored a lot of goals last season but the fact is that the majority of them were late on when we were chasing the game and throwing bodies forward. Our starting line up and tactics were guff most games. 

He was talking about being comfortable at 1 nil last night. Does he even know that we only won 1 league game out of the full season 1 nil? We are never comfortable at 1 nil on the rare occasions we actually score first and we definitely shouldn't playing for a 1 nil against part timers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s a very good point that steelboy makes that we never look comfortable when ahead in games.

It seems that our set up under SK is designed to stop the opposition playing and then throw everything forward when that fails and we need to chase the game. Fair enough that did work for us several times last season with the amount of last gasp equalisers we got but going forward that’s not a sustainable approach because we can’t afford to go behind in games with the mindset of “it’s okay we’ll just throw the kitchen sink at the opposition and hope we score” because that won’t keep working for us as our luck will run out and teams will get wise to this. 

I like Stuart Kettlewell, despite his faults, and I do think that he has been good for us during his time in charge but he needs to adapt our approach to games going forward or things will take another big downturn this season and we might not be able to get out of it this time. We absolutely cannot go on another run of 15 league games without a win again. 

Not a lot to add to the comments already made.

I didnt think it was a shocking performance. But it had training session vibes for the most part and in truth Montrose didnt trouble our defence at all until about 80 minutes.

The fact that we didnt press hard enough for the second goal and missed the couple of decent chances we did create was ultimately our downfall.

Thought big Oxborough looked decent with the little he had to do. Took one cross ball very competently, made a good save for their first shot and saved a pen. He looks an absolute unit, which is a good start for a goalkeeper in my mind.

I thought of all our players Casey had the poorest game. Just didnt look comfortable on the ball. Looks the centre half most at risk once SK settles on who his final 3 are.

Halliday looked fitter to me than last season and did ok, but as others have said, neither he nor Paton have the legs to perform that role.

Here's hoping this game doesnt come back to bite us. But we will need a different team selection and improved performance on Saturday. 

• Like 1