POD Stand

Kmcalpin

Some good posts on P & B about the state of the POD Stand. Its long overdue serious refurbishment or replacement. There's no doubt its been badly neglected in recent years. A lick of paint simply won't cut it. Broken seats, seats bolted to steps, inadequate catering and toliet facilites. I could go on. Apart from the seating area, the hospitality suite and other facilities are way past their sell by date. Its a bit of an embarassment from a bygone era.  

A refurbishment was mooted a year or two back, but that has been quietly forgotten. In short it needs replacing, but that won't come cheap.  Hopefully the winds of change blowing through the club now will sweep away this old and tired relic.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had my season ticket in the POD for a few years, front row, amazing view of the game, but for most of the winter months my feet were in a puddle. Moved back over to the East Stand a couple of seasons ago and I’m there to stay. Seems ridiculous that fans in the POD are paying a premium for poorer facilities.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some good posts on P & B about the state of the POD Stand. Its long overdue serious refurbishment or replacement. There's no doubt its been badly neglected in recent years. A lick of paint simply won't cut it. Broken seats, seats bolted to steps, inadequate catering and toliet facilites. I could go on. Apart from the seating area, the hospitality suite and other facilities are way past their sell by date. Its a bit of an embarassment from a bygone era.  

A refurbishment was mooted a year or two back, but that has been quietly forgotten. In short it needs replacing, but that won't come cheap.  Hopefully the winds of change blowing through the club now will sweep away this old and tired relic.   

Totally agree Dave, it's long overdue an upgrade or replacement, my biggest gripes about it are seats covered in bird muck that never seem to get cleaned and the turnstiles that are about 50 or 60 years past their sell by date.

I’m in the POD and agree that it’s past it’s best but there’s no way we can afford to replace it without ending up with a bog standard shitty breeze block box.
The Hunter stand is in as much need of work and a purpose built training is, to me, more of a priority.
I hope that after the wild sheep debacle is over - and hopefully rejected - I’d like the club and WS to work together and put together a plan to show us how they intend to do this and who should have responsibility for raising the money for each project without being detrimental to the squad budget (the WS could take on the training facility while the club looks after the stadium). 

• Haha 1

Its the real world. No way we can afford to replace itwithout a detrimental effect on the team. Sat there in centre for over 30 yrs. Its dated but there is atmosphere about the place you wont get in a st midden type stand and turnstiles are a disappearing tradition.

If yer daft enough to sit in the front row not under cover then u deserve wet feet. Paying extra is worth it for one of best views in the leauge and not having to sit with the riff raff in the east. 😂 

Where does OP usually sit

Yes mate it would be eye watering astronomical price to rebuild the POD.

20 million quid +++ to start then the rest.

new team changing rooms x 2 plus treatment rooms showers toilets 

Referees changing room shower and toilet. 
wider tunnel to pitch side 

Main entrance for players refs and an entrance to the hospitality suites.

Managers office 

Fans entrances/exits

Media centre print /radio/TV/and bloggers. Furnitures
Hospitality suites kitchens bars toilets furnitures. 
Fans seats food outlets toilets lights.

Trophy room.

Security / safety measures. Disability.

Purchase the houses demolition of and removal of materials.

new surface at front of stands signage 

the lists goes on as does the cost and am sure I haven’t listed everything that needs to be done. 

Then there is the East stand to be rebuilt and the ongoing maintenance of all the stands and surroundings.

Would we get more fans to come along?

6 hours ago, stv said:

Its the real world. No way we can afford to replace itwithout a detrimental effect on the team. Sat there in centre for over 30 yrs. Its dated but there is atmosphere about the place you wont get in a st midden type stand and turnstiles are a disappearing tradition.

If yer daft enough to sit in the front row not under cover then u deserve wet feet. Paying extra is worth it for one of best views in the leauge and not having to sit with the riff raff in the east. 😂 

Where does OP usually sit

South end of POD Stand.

8 hours ago, stv said:

If yer daft enough to sit in the front row not under cover then u deserve wet feet. Paying extra is worth it for one of best views in the leauge

I take your point, we had our reasons for choosing those seats and it’s definitely worth it for the view. Still think they could deal with the puddles though 😂

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

South end of POD Stand.

Is there a pie stall there or do you have to use the centre one. The facilitys aren't great but there really is no alternative . As long as its kept tidy n clean . Once any work starts it will open a can of worms with what has been hidden from previous efforts,wear n tear and extentions. Recommed to demolish it after that . Where would operations hq be while this is going on. Was a mess last time work was carried out 

Rebuild would be over 2 years I would recon by time it's knocked down ,cleared rebuilt , kitted out, passed for saftey etc.  Knowing us it would probly be more like 3 years. 

Coat of paint and get youth team to sweep up, wash the bird shite off the seats and fix the burst cushions,would be a start and is about all we can afford just now.

I'd rather have a good team on the park than a shiney new soleless stand, still be same pies they would be selling new or old one. 😉

2 minutes ago, stv said:

Coat of paint and get youth team to sweep up, wash the bird shite off the seats and fix the burst cushions,would be a start and is about all we can afford just now.

Sensational. I can only assume you’re a landlord. 

26 minutes ago, stv said:

Is there a pie stall there or do you have to use the centre one. The facilitys aren't great but there really is no alternative . As long as its kept tidy n clean . Once any work starts it will open a can of worms with what has been hidden from previous efforts,wear n tear and extentions. Recommed to demolish it after that . Where would operations hq be while this is going on. Was a mess last time work was carried out 

Rebuild would be over 2 years I would recon by time it's knocked down ,cleared rebuilt , kitted out, passed for saftey etc.  Knowing us it would probly be more like 3 years. 

I'd rather have a good team on the park than a shiney new soleless stand, still be same pies they would be selling new or old one. 😉

Sounds like we need a big Hollywood investor to inject some cash.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stv said:

If that's what happens, we'd be better just upping sticks and moving tbh. I understand from a few sources/people a move away from FP has "never been closer".

18 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

If that's what happens, we'd be better just upping sticks and moving tbh. I understand from a few sources/people a move away from FP has "never been closer".

I reckon most people would not bother if we left Fir Park, as long as the new Stadium was easy to get to, had great facilities, some car parking adjacent to it and the Stadium was completely enclosed, like almondvale only better. Oh and it was not a generic 4 stands, open corners design.

• Like 1

The Main stand is a dump that's well passed it's sell by date, unfortunately it'd cost silly money to do any proper improvements to it, Hearts new main stand cost them 21 million quid, now I'm not saying we'd be looking at anything near to what Hearts have done but that's the type of money you're talking about nowadays.

Been saying for years we need to move, I've moved from members row f in POD where at 6ft plus I have nowhere to put my legs and my knees end up in uncomfortably close proximity to the head of the guy in front of me, now sit at back of south section, better overall view and space, can handle no backs on the seats.

I've sat in every home stand, and tbh not a lot of the seats give good views, those that do are snapped up quite rightly by season tkt holders. I often wonder if this could have an influence on our crowds because when we do get an extra thousand or so in they won't be in great viewing seats.

Sooner or later the POD will fail a safety, and whilst I have a sentimental attachment, a move into a well designed 10000 or so seater (like AFC Wimbledons) would be great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Been saying for years we need to move, I've moved from members row f in POD where at 6ft plus I have nowhere to put my legs and my knees end up in uncomfortably close proximity to the head of the guy in front of me, now sit at back of south section, better overall view and space, can handle no backs on the seats.

I've sat in every home stand, and tbh not a lot of the seats give good views, those that do are snapped up quite rightly by season tkt holders. I often wonder if this could have an influence on our crowds because when we do get an extra thousand or so in they won't be in great viewing seats.

Sooner or later the POD will fail a safety, and whilst I have a sentimental attachment, a move into a well designed 10000 or so seater (like AFC Wimbledons) would be great.

I'm not sure we'd even need 10,000 tbh; we barely reach that figure nowadays when the OF are in town. Probably 8,500 would be enough, unless we want to attract some international level stuff; not sure what the cut-off for that is?

1 minute ago, StAndrew7 said:

I'm not sure we'd even need 10,000 tbh; we barely reach that figure nowadays when the OF are in town. Probably 8,500 would be enough, unless we want to attract some international level stuff; not sure what the cut-off for that is?

St Mirren Park holds 8,000 and hosts a lot of the youth/women's games.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I reckon most people would not bother if we left Fir Park, as long as the new Stadium was easy to get to, had great facilities, some car parking adjacent to it and the Stadium was completely enclosed, like almondvale only better. Oh and it was not a generic 4 stands, open corners design.

That's a long way of saying fans would be bothered, because if we could afford anything at all, there's no way we could afford anything other than a generic "lego" stand

34 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Been saying for years we need to move, I've moved from members row f in POD where at 6ft plus I have nowhere to put my legs

The new stadiums I've been at often have the same issues with leg room.  I think every seating designer must clothes shop in the childrens department.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

That's a long way of saying fans would be bothered, because if we could afford anything at all, there's no way we could afford anything other than a generic "lego" stand

I'm sure Almondvale aka the Tony macaroni arena was built a lot cheaper than the "Lego" stands as you put it. That would be an ideal size for us.

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm sure Almondvale aka the Tony macaroni arena was built a lot cheaper than the "Lego" stands as you put it. That would be an ideal size for us.

I think something akin to Almondvale would suit us fine in terms of capacity, but preferably with "something" about it, if that makes sense? Like maybe a slightly higher stand on either or side.

Something like Nancy's with half the capacity would be nice (I like the slightly larger stands on either side of the pitch for example):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Marcel_Picot

• Like 1