POD Stand

Kmcalpin

24 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I think something akin to Almondvale would suit us fine in terms of capacity, but preferably with "something" about it, if that makes sense? Like maybe a slightly higher stand on either or side.

Something like Nancy's with half the capacity would be nice (I like the slightly larger stands on either side of the pitch for example):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Marcel_Picot

We would need to bring the original "keep cigarettes away from the match" signage with us as well

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

We would need to bring the original "keep cigarettes away from the match" signage with us as well

And don't forget it's sister health advice. "How much do you cough up for cigarettes?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yassin said:

I've thought of a potential saving we could make

A trophy shelf in the boardroom should suffice.

• Like 1

I’ve always been of the opinion since our visit in 2013, I think? Aalesunds stadium, would be great to try and replicate. I think it holds roughly just over 10k so even on a slightly smaller scale.

Whenever the inevitable does happen, I’m hoping it will be on land in the Ravenscraig area close to and with access from Orbiston Street whenever this dual carriageway continuation from Airbles Road is built. 

We’re in walking distance for most parts of the town at the moment and whilst the town itself is limited for space this has to be where we go. Heading further into the ‘Craig with limited transport links and a longer walk could kill the crowd slightly imo. 

37 minutes ago, GawnUpBy? said:

I’ve always been of the opinion since our visit in 2013, I think? Aalesunds stadium, would be great to try and replicate. I think it holds roughly just over 10k so even on a slightly smaller scale.

It would, but looking at the details is cost about 11.5 million to build 20 years ago. Unless we find some serious cash or a generous partner, we'd struggle to afford that - and no doubt that price would be about 20 million now.

We could probably recoup some from the sale of Fir Park, but would still leave a large wad to find.

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

It would, but looking at the details is cost about 11.5 million to build 20 years ago. Unless we find some serious cash or a generous partner, we'd struggle to afford that - and no doubt that price would be about 20 million now.

We could probably recoup some from the sale of Fir Park, but would still leave a large wad to find.

Given that folks are quoting £20m to build a new POD, £20m for an entirely new purpose built stadium seems eminently more sensible.

Not sure how we would finance it but, selling the land Fir Park is on, together with some sort of debenture scheme and some integrated investment with business partners and the local council could make it possible.

Certainly Ravenscraig would seem the sensible choice both physically and emotionally if we are to move away from Fir Park.

I agree, an Alesund type stadium would be the dream.

34 minutes ago, weeyin said:

How do you feel about app development?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, stv said:

Is there a pie stall there or do you have to use the centre one. The facilitys aren't great but there really is no alternative . As long as its kept tidy n clean . Once any work starts it will open a can of worms with what has been hidden from previous efforts,wear n tear and extentions. Recommed to demolish it after that . Where would operations hq be while this is going on. Was a mess last time work was carried out 

Rebuild would be over 2 years I would recon by time it's knocked down ,cleared rebuilt , kitted out, passed for saftey etc.  Knowing us it would probly be more like 3 years. 

Coat of paint and get youth team to sweep up, wash the bird shite off the seats and fix the burst cushions,would be a start and is about all we can afford just now.

I'd rather have a good team on the park than a shiney new soleless stand, still be same pies they would be selling new or old one. 😉

As far as I know there are 2 food kiosks; one at the north end and one at the south end. As far as the southern one goes, its small and located on a landing, immediately adjacent to the toilets. Before kick off and at half time, the queue stretches around the landing and mingles with those coming and going to the toliets, and those coming and going to hospitality. I don't think anything can be done about that.

The structure needs a million or two spent on to bring it up to an acceptable standard and that includes an extension built onto it at prohibitive cost. All in it would be cheaper in the long run to move to a new stadium. At some point in the not too distant future, it may well fail a safety certificate. Thats how bad it is. As with the entire ground, maintenance costs are high and mounting. 

A move to a new 10,000 capacity stadium is inevitable and I'd rather it was at a time of our choosing than at one being forced upon us. Thats why we need external investment (just not the Wild Sheep version). I don't doubt that the stadium issue was / is a factor in Jim McMahon and the EB's thinking in supporting the Barmack proposal. However, that proposal is not nearly sufficient and not right for us.

The sooner we start planning for a new home the better. Easier said than done of course. Still, rumours abound.  

Not advocating opening other stands to away fans but it will be difficult to fill the stadium again now that we only give the arse cheeks the south stand. No other clubs fill it and we won’t fill the rest of the stands.  

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

As far as I know there are 2 food kiosks; one at the north end and one at the south end. As far as the southern one goes, its small and located on a landing, immediately adjacent to the toilets. Before kick off and at half time, the queue stretches around the landing and mingles with those coming and going to the toliets, and those coming and going to hospitality. I don't think anything can be done about that.

The structure needs a million or two spent on to bring it up to an acceptable standard and that includes an extension built onto it at prohibitive cost. All in it would be cheaper in the long run to move to a new stadium. At some point in the not too distant future, it may well fail a safety certificate. Thats how bad it is. As with the entire ground, maintenance costs are high and mounting. 

A move to a new 10,000 capacity stadium is inevitable and I'd rather it was at a time of our choosing than at one being forced upon us. Thats why we need external investment (just not the Wild Sheep version). I don't doubt that the stadium issue was / is a factor in Jim McMahon and the EB's thinking in supporting the Barmack proposal. However, that proposal is not nearly sufficient and not right for us.

The sooner we start planning for a new home the better. Easier said than done of course. Still, rumours abound.  

I dont doubt that you are correct about the need to move and the timeframe.

But it does bring into question the decision to take the Covid loan and spend it on upgrading the playing surface.

Its a no brainer over, say, a 10 year period or more, given the ongoing costs of maintaining the old surface.

Far less so if a stadium move is imminent/unavoidable.

9 hours ago, Cameron_Mcd said:

When was the last time we had 10,000 in Fir Park? The playoff Vs Rangers is the only time I can remember we've ever really come close to it.

The crowds we get are irrelevant, a fully seated 10K minimum capacity stadium is a ground requirement for playing in the premiership, so that's why we need 10K seats.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The crowds we get are irrelevant, a fully seated 10K minimum capacity stadium is a ground requirement for playing in the premiership, so that's why we need 10K seats.

That was reduced to 6,000 seats about 2 decades ago, Ross County and St Mirren have 6500 and 8000 seater stadiums.

31 minutes ago, Cameron_Mcd said:

That was reduced to 6,000 seats about 2 decades ago, Ross County and St Mirren have 6500 and 8000 seater stadiums.

Fair enough every day is a school day.

A stand like Ayr United just built would actually do us fine. We dont actually need the seats, but decent facilities, hospitality and some safe standing at the front could work well. No idea what that would cost but it would certainly be cheaper than replacing the POD as is, or indeed moving to a new stadium. As always finances will dictate, I presume .......

21 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

A stand like Ayr United just built would actually do us fine. We dont actually need the seats, but decent facilities, hospitality and some safe standing at the front could work well. No idea what that would cost but it would certainly be cheaper than replacing the POD as is, or indeed moving to a new stadium. As always finances will dictate, I presume .......

I doubt if that would work in Fir Park. Would fans be forced to relocate from the POD Stand to other stands? That might cause the odd problem or three and upset a fair few. It depends on the scale of course. Some people like myself prefer a decent view from higher up. The club might also lose a portion of season ticket income if prices were reduced for the new stand.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

I doubt if that would work in Fir Park. Would fans be forced to relocate from the POD Stand to other stands? That might cause the odd problem or three and upset a fair few. It depends on the scale of course. Some people like myself prefer a decent view from higher up. The club might also lose a portion of season ticket income if prices were reduced for the new stand.

Fair enough.

I dont sit in the POD, so hadnt really considered the reasons for choosing to do so.

Its a connundrum. But one the WS and refreshed Executive Board will have to consider at some point.

13 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Given that folks are quoting £20m to build a new POD, £20m for an entirely new purpose built stadium seems eminently more sensible.

Not sure how we would finance it but, selling the land Fir Park is on, together with some sort of debenture scheme and some integrated investment with business partners and the local council could make it possible.

Certainly Ravenscraig would seem the sensible choice both physically and emotionally if we are to move away from Fir Park.

I agree, an Alesund type stadium would be the dream.

Good idea in theory.  Dempster spent months wining and dining the clowns from the council re: Ravenscraig, but it was just pie in the sky and they were happy to accept freebies, but had no intention of helping us relocate.

One thing I will say about the Main Stand is that it has the best view in the stadium; my first season ticket was in the family section there, immediately next to the old away area separated by the ricketiest wooden barrier ever. I can still remember beating Rangers 2-1 (Willie Falconer scoring the winner) and some absolute reprobate reaching over the top of me (I was 9 or 10 I think) to grab my uncle by the neck after he'd had the audacity to tell him to calm down and stop screaming because he was next to the family section!