L Cup Clyde v Motherwell 20/07/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Inflato said:

Excellent performance on a top quality surface, we're now motoring along nicely and should take a right few off Thistle next week.

I feared we would lose a bit when we lost the highly impressive Paton in the engine room, but Halliday took us to another level, they both carried young Miller and he'll learn a lot from these top pro's.

It's also clear to see that our front line has bags of goals in it, the inter-changing passing and dynamic movement was a joy to watch. A really well organised defence and excellent goalkeeper stopped this from being a rout.

Big shout out as well to the ref, he really is one of the best in the game.

What a fucking time to be alive.

Trying too hard mate, turn your sarcasm filter down a bit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You are probably jealous of Hibs tonight. 🤣

Undefeated, +5 over three matches, win next week wins the group.  

Typical happy clapper . If we can’t wipe the floor with lower leagues teams then we are in a bad way .  Off course when we went on no win run every other week the fans said it can only get better how wrong they were 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Typical happy clapper . If we can’t wipe the floor with lower leagues teams then we are in a bad way .  Off course when we went on no win run every other week the fans said it can only get better how wrong they were 

You can call me a lot of things but happy clapper isn't one of them.

It's just your position, and others, is absolutely preposterous at this stage of the season.

• Like 2

Just now, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's just your position, and others, is absolutely preposterous at this stage of the season.

We've just sold Bair and it's obvious we need a few more additions - next week will be a challenge though, because Partick scored six. However as you say I'd rather be a Motherwell fan than a Hibs fan this evening. I'll take the win particularly after the showing the other night. 

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We've got a huge league game in two weeks time and we look miles off it. 

43 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You are probably jealous of Hibs tonight. 🤣

Undefeated, +5 over three matches, win next week wins the group.  

Don't win next week and there's no guarantee we' finish one of the 3 best 2nd place. We may have a better idea midweek, but for my money we need to win.

With Thistle got a game in hand a better goal difference after their massive 6-0 win today, its gonna be tough next week.

22 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We've got a huge league game in two weeks time and we look miles off it. 

Now I'm not especially a fan of Jim Goodwin but he was talking there about how lower league teams have 18 player squads and can put out there strongest team in these group matches while Premiership teams have 25 man squads and they have to get minutes into players so they are fit for the league season.

We also have injuries, new players we are trying to blend into the side, younger players who probably will be out on loan come the season proper and a squad who are maybe 85% fit playing on poor surfaces.

You can't judge the team on performances right now especially since we've got results.  Several bigger teams than us have lost matches in these group stages to lower league teams.  

If we have lost 8 out of 11 come October or whatever, Kettlewell will be under pressure but right now it's not a fair assessment.  

I'd expect us to step up next week with progress on the line against a better level team.  If we don't and lose, you have your first opportunity for fair criticism.

23 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

Don't win next week and there's no guarantee we' finish one of the 3 best 2nd place. We may have a better idea midweek, but for my money we need to win.

With Thistle got a game in hand a better goal difference after their massive 6-0 win today, its gonna be tough next week.

After our result at Montrose, a win will be the only acceptable result for us. Even if we'd picked up all 3 points in Angus that might not have been enough, given Thistle's better goal scoring record. They'll be delighted to lose on penalties next week given their superior goal difference. 

We have to win simples. However, the players are getting match fitter and we've yet to field our strongest 11 from those we have available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Noted Ewan Wilson has 3 assists in 3 matches.

Been really impressed with this lad and I was when I saw him last season too. Hopefully he’ll get his chance this year.

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Now I'm not especially a fan of Jim Goodwin but he was talking there about how lower league teams have 18 player squads and can put out there strongest team in these group matches while Premiership teams have 25 man squads and they have to get minutes into players so they are fit for the league season.

We haven't really done that though. Maybe Seddon and Kaleta will improve us but it looks a stick on just now that SOD will start at least the first two games of the season and as we saw today he hopeless. 

If you look at areas of the park central defence hasn't improved at all. The midfield is a shambles. And the two strikers who played today showed zero composure. We've signed a dozen players and there's not one of them you look from these games and think they will improve us from last season.

A game we should have had wrapped up before Clyde equalised with a comedy of errors from us. There were pluses and minuses all over the game. Thought we looked far more Direct than we did last season. Paton and to my surprise Halliday drove us forward pretty well. Still not convinced about Blaney. Finishing was woeful. Lennon Miller showed some neat play and I thought Wilson looked as if he has something about him. A mixed bag but we got the job done, onto the next game.

Anyone else think our penalty was soft?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

After our result at Montrose, a win will be the only acceptable result for us. Even if we'd picked up all 3 points in Angus that might not have been enough, given Thistle's better goal scoring record. They'll be delighted to lose on penalties next week given their superior goal difference. 

We have to win simples. However, the players are getting match fitter and we've yet to field our strongest 11 from those we have available. 

We should always expect to beat a Championship Thistle at home. If we dont there is something far wrong.

Thought Blaney was dreadful today, needs to be taught how to time his jump, think he won one header today, then when the big boy Logan came on he just got plain bullied. Hard watch today, easy to blame the surface but our passing and movement needs to improve.

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Typical happy clapper .

Honestly, I'd rather be a happy clapper than a cynical ball of discontent every time Motherwell win. I feel sorry for people like you.

It's football. Enjoy it. If it causes you such unhappiness turn it off and go do something else with your spare time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

We should always expect to beat a Championship Thistle at home. If we dont there is something far wrong.

I get that but these lower league teams have had different priorities to us. They're out to beat a big boy ie us, whereas we try to balance results against getting players matchfit. In my view we haven't got it quite right this year. Results wise though we're first in our group ....so far. Not the first time we've got the balance wrong. Injuries have also played a part.