What Former Motherwell Players Would You Not Piss On If They Were On Fire (a bit of fun)

21 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Hard to think of anyone displacing Boyd in the Inventory of Infamy but a minor addition there might be Kallum (sic) Higginbotham, whom I seem to remember had some uncomplimentary things to say about us and was at the wind-up on one of his returns to Fir Park. Pity because he scored a cracker of a goal when on loan here.

I believe he was miffed that, having been signed on loan as a first choice creative midfielder, we then signed James McFadden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Wallace's patter after his first league game with us pissed me off far more than his exit.

Pandered to the rangers fans that day , a disgrace should have been punted there and then.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wellfan said:

Tom Boyd. Close the thread. 

Tom Boyd was one of Motherwell's best ever players in the 40 odd years I've been supporting us.

I don't really have it in me to hate on a player that did us a turn, never mind one of the best and one that was instrumental in the only success we've had in (almost) living memory.

The fact that he's a Celtic fan doesn't bother me one iota.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Tom Boyd was one of Motherwell's best ever players in the 40 odd years I've been supporting us.

I don't really have it in me to hate on a player that did us a turn, never mind one of the best and one that was instrumental in the only success we've had in (almost) living memory.

According to Boyd his career started when he joined the green uglies, as if his time at Fir park and the 91 cup win never happened he's an obnoxious tosser.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

That's fair enough, but it doesn't change the fact that he's an odious cretin. 

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Him being a Celtic fan doesnt bother me.

Disrespecting the club that gave him his start in the game does.

As the captain of the only team to lift a trophy in my lifetime he should be in my top 10 Well players.

The fact that he isnt says a lot.

I dont hate him. Just dont like him very much.

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Him being a Celtic fan doesnt bother me.

Disrespecting the club that gave him his start in the game does.

As the captain of the only team to lift a trophy in my lifetime he should be in my top 10 Well players.

The fact that he isnt says a lot.

I dont hate him. Just dont like him very much.

And we're not angry, just very disappointed.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I must hold a grudge cos Eddie Forrest and Karl Ready are still right up there.

Nah, I cannae blame them for the way things happened, suppose most of us would've felt the same way when the redundancies were announced.

Those two I can forgive.

Boyd however, that's a different story.

Wonder what Chelsea fans make of the "my career only started when I signed for the Green Uglies"

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It’s not simply that he was a Celtic fan that Boyd is so hated, but I suspect you know that anyway. 

Tommy Coyne, Stevie Kirk, Faddy, Brian Martin, Owen Coyle, Phil O’Donnell to name but a few were all Celtic fans and that fact was relatively well known but none of them are being put forward for ‘former players that you wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire’ so I think we can put any suggestions that the only reason Boyd’s name is being mentioned is simply down to him ‘being a Celtic fan’ firmly to bed. 

Boyd has repeated shown himself to be an obnoxious arsehole who has frequently disrespected our club and our fans over the years despite where he started his career. Anyone who saw his behaviour before the 2011 Scottish Cup Final will know what I’m talking about. The fact that he is also a Celtic fan on top of his odious behaviour does heighten my dislike for him as he represents the worst type of Celtic person for me and I make no apology for that. He has all the detestable Celtic attitubutes… arrogant, obnoxious, condescending constantly stirring shit and stoking up bad feeling and paranoia whenever he’s given a platform to open his mouth and can’t/wont see anything from a non Celtic perspective.

I’ve said this before on here, whenever I’m unfortunate enough to have to watch our away games against them on Celtic TV I actually find Peter Grant (another well known Celtic fan and a player I couldn’t stand back in the day) ten times more tolerable than Boyd.

• Like 5

Wouldn’t go so far as to say I hated him but I never liked John Spencer and never got the hype for him when he was here. He was a money grabbing chancer who did nothing to justify his large salary. The same goes for Andy Goram. 

Also not a player but Mark McGhee. Great first season in his first spell but an arrogant self important weapon of a man who thought nothing of publicly disrespecting the club and the fans.

”this is why and please don’t misinterpret me here I am managing Motherwell today and not Liverpool”. Right you are ya side moothed puffed up trumpet. 

42 minutes ago, MJC said:

I never liked John Spencer and never got the hype for him when he was here.

As part of the same "package" Don Goodman always seemed like a decent enough sort. Now one of Sky's better pundits, and he still sneaks in the occasional positive reference to his Motherwell days.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

As part of the same "package" Don Goodman always seemed like a decent enough sort. Now one of Sky's better pundits, and he still sneaks in the occasional positive reference to his Motherwell days.

‘The Don’ as he was known was seen as a far less high profile and less fashionable player during that period compared to ‘big names’ like Goram and Spencer but he had twice the workrate of Spencer and was a big part of the team that almost reached Europe in 1999/2000. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Boyd has repeated shown himself to be an obnoxious arsehole who has frequently disrespected our club and our fans over the years despite where he started his career. Anyone who saw his behaviour before the 2011 Scottish Cup Final will know what I’m talking about. The fact that he is also a Celtic fan on top of his odious behaviour does heighten my dislike for him as he represents the worst type of Celtic person for me and I make no apology for that. He has all the detestable Celtic attitubutes… arrogant, obnoxious, condescending constantly stirring shit and stoking up bad feeling and paranoia whenever he’s given a platform to open his mouth and can’t/wont see anything from a non Celtic perspective.

Yeah but I don't care about character.  I've never been friends or wanted to be friends with any Motherwell player.  

I support the club and I care about watching good players and watching good football and succeeding as a club.  When I pick my Motherwell all time XI I don't bring into consideration wanky behaviour, responsible parenting, political beliefs, faithful marriage, criminal records, good guy status and so forth.

Like I said I don't care about Tom Boyd's opinions on anything but I'll quote him from a 2022 interview with the suggestion that you're maybe getting your knickers in. a twist over not much.

"We did not necessarily compete consistently but it was an unbelievable moment for us all that day. If you watch the footage back, you can see me shaking my head as I get handed the trophy because it was just an unbelievable moment for us as a team.

“To lift the trophy for a club like Motherwell who have not had too many of those types of days at Hampden was special. It was a great day and a fitting way to leave the club. I will always be grateful to the club for giving me my start in professional football.”

Source :  https://worldfootballindex.com/2022/08/tom-boyd-on-celtic-motherwell-captaincy-and-scotland/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Wouldn’t go so far as to say I hated him but I never liked John Spencer and never got the hype for him when he was here. He was a money grabbing chancer who did nothing to justify his large salary.

Not sure how well-known this is but, despite his huge salary, he didn't cost the club a penny. According to Pat Nevin, John Boyle wanted him as a big signing and a signal of intent but Nevin disagreed as breaking the wage structure would have a detrimental effect on the rest of the squad. Boyle's solution was to pay Spencer's wage out of his own pocket.

26 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Yeah but I don't care about character.  I've never been friends or wanted to be friends with any Motherwell player.  

I support the club and I care about watching good players and watching good football and succeeding as a club.  When I pick my Motherwell all time XI I don't bring into consideration wanky behaviour, responsible parenting, political beliefs, faithful marriage, criminal records, good guy status and so forth.

Like I said I don't care about Tom Boyd's opinions on anything but I'll quote him from a 2022 interview with the suggestion that you're maybe getting your knickers in. a twist over not much.

"We did not necessarily compete consistently but it was an unbelievable moment for us all that day. If you watch the footage back, you can see me shaking my head as I get handed the trophy because it was just an unbelievable moment for us as a team.

“To lift the trophy for a club like Motherwell who have not had too many of those types of days at Hampden was special. It was a great day and a fitting way to leave the club. I will always be grateful to the club for giving me my start in professional football.”

Source :  https://worldfootballindex.com/2022/08/tom-boyd-on-celtic-motherwell-captaincy-and-scotland/

Well that’s up to you, but personally I can’t view anyone who openly disrespects the club like Boyd has with anything other than contempt. You know, like walking around Hampden pointing to his Celtic badge and thumping his chest towards Motherwell fans before a Scottish Cup Final almost twenty years to the day that he captained us to victory in. Or the snide comments he made to Tam Cowan at a supporters event about how much he’d won since he left us or the disdain he’s shown our club and fans over the years. 

That annoys me, maybe it shouldn’t but it does. 

If it doesn’t annoy you then that’s up to you, as I said, but given that you’ve said on here before that you value your support of Scotland above Motherwell and suggested that anyone who doesn’t share that view is ‘parochial’ then….ach i don’t want to go down the ‘who’s the better supporter’ argument. So all I’m going to say now is…………….weisht.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Lovely words but his actions since have made him intolerable...he's a total tadger and I say that as a supporter who ranks Tommy Coyne as our greatest in the modern era..a celtic man 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Lovely words but his actions since have made him intolerable...he's a total tadger and I say that as a supporter who ranks Tommy Coyne as our greatest in the modern era..a celtic man 

And IIRC Tommy knocked back Celtic's attempts to resign him when he was knocking them in for us. Loved his vintage step-overs for us as well as his goals.

I’ll throw another name in here. 

Richie Foran.

An absolute wage thief and a lazy imposter of a player who got away with it because he liked a bevvy and could pull the birds down the Mega Bar back in the day. Some Boi eh?

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I’ll throw another name in here. 

Richie Foran.

An absolute wage thief and a lazy imposter of a player who got away with it because he liked a bevvy and could pull the birds down the Mega Bar back in the day. Some Boi eh?

A bit harsh, I'm guessing he nipped your burd at some point then 🤔 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

A bit harsh, I'm guessing he nipped your burd at some point then 🤔 

Possibly I don’t know but that’s beside the point. I just didn’t rate him as a player and his fondness of a night out and his ability to get the womenfolk of Motherwell falling at his feet bought him a lot of leeway.

18 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Not sure how well-known this is but, despite his huge salary, he didn't cost the club a penny. According to Pat Nevin, John Boyle wanted him as a big signing and a signal of intent but Nevin disagreed as breaking the wage structure would have a detrimental effect on the rest of the squad. Boyle's solution was to pay Spencer's wage out of his own pocket.

Surely we blew our wage structure well and truly out the water unless Boyle was picking up the tab for many players. Andy Goram mentioned in his book he was on a fair wedge as was Kevin Twaddle when he rebuffed Hearts at one point to sign a new deal with us, he also mentioned in his book he squandered it at the bookies. Brannan, Goodman, Thomas & Curcic would also have been on great deals I'm sure.