L CUP Motherwell v Partick Thistle 28/07/2024

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Well given today's results even if we win tomorrow we won't be seeded, it looks like Dundee, Aberdeen and Ross County will join the 5 European teams as the 8 seeded teams.

Even if we had got the 3rd point against Montrose, we would have to beat Partick by at least 3 clear goals to overtake RC

Last year we were seeded and still got knocked out so I think we can beat the likes of County, Dundee, St Mirren or even Kilmarnock 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, weeyin said:

Steelmen online. Where any fabricated thought is unashamedly stated as a fact, then used as a source of complaint. 

Either he is away from his newborn for 10 months or he moves his wife from Australia to Scotland in winter with an infant. Both options make us spending money on him riskier.

• Sad 1

I’m really looking forward to this one, July and we have a fixture with a bit of edge to it, that’s fairly unique to Scottish fitba and I’m all for it. It’s a full dress rehearsal for the league season as far as I’m concerned, we’ll see the team we should expect to see against Ross county next week, and I expect a big performance.

Partick fans are fairly concerned with their defence and goalkeeping options, hopefully we’ll be starting with two up front tomorrow and really piling on the pressure.

Mon the well 

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Either he is away from his newborn for 10 months or he moves his wife from Australia to Scotland in winter with an infant. Both options make us spending money on him riskier.

Or the fact he is now a father will now be a strong motivation to make a success of his move to Europe so he can provide for his family..? 

1 hour ago, Tamwell said:

I’m really looking forward to this one, July and we have a fixture with a bit of edge to it, that’s fairly unique to Scottish fitba and I’m all for it. It’s a full dress rehearsal for the league season as far as I’m concerned, we’ll see the team we should expect to see against Ross county next week, and I expect a big performance.

Partick fans are fairly concerned with their defence and goalkeeping options, hopefully we’ll be starting with two up front tomorrow and really piling on the pressure.

Mon the well 

No chance . SK missed out on the classes teaching two up when he did his badges. 

3 hours ago, stv said:

No chance . SK missed out on the classes teaching two up when he did his badges. 

One of the first changes he made when he took charge was to play another striker beside van Veen. Mostly Obika, until he got injured.

I'll be interested today to find out whether our defence and defensive midfield have improved any since last season. Hopefully Balmer will start and McGinn, Seddon and Kaleta get some game time. We can't afford another defensive fiasco similar to last season.

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'll be interested today to find out whether our defence and defensive midfield have improved any since last season. Hopefully Balmer will start and McGinn, Seddon and Kaleta get some game time. We can't afford another defensive fiasco similar to last season.

Aye, minus a couple of players, I think today will likely reflect Kettlewell’s main plan for approaching this season. 

Balmer has to start. My ideal defence comprises McGinn, Balmer and Gordon, although I’m aware that could change as the season progresses with Blaney and Casey at their heels. However, I don’t think we’ll see a full 90 from McGinn today, so I expect Casey or Blaney to play today as well. It’s also time to give the other wingbacks a chance today from the bench. 

I’m really looking forward to the game today, or maybe I’ve just had enough coffee to cloud my better judgement.

Let’s be clear about this.

Anything, ANYTHING less than us being in the draw for the last sixteen after today’s game will be completely and utterly unacceptable and would be a major black mark against the manager and the players.

I think the seeded spot is beyond us but we cannot go out of the League Cup at the group stage. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

Anything, ANYTHING less than us being in the draw for the last sixteen after today’s game will be completely and utterly unacceptable and would be a major black mark against the manager and the players.

I think the seeded spot is beyond us but we cannot go out of the League Cup at the group stage. 

Would make the WS gathering on Monday night a bit more interesting 

19 minutes ago, MJC said:

Seeded spots are all gone…….Sheep,Dundee,RC all have 12 points plus 5 euro teams 

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'd imagine our first choice defence will be Hegyi and the back three will be McGinn, Gordon and Balmer, with either O'Donnell or Koutroumbis  and Seddon at full back positions.

They've not played together at all so far, so I don't think we should be projecting our League Cup defensive line ups into the future too much, and since there are 4 or maybe even 5 new players in there you are going to have to give them time to gel together.

You can't just put a bunch of players together that have never played and expect them to play like Leighton-Miller-McLeish.

There's a line up to send the Four Posters of the Apocolypse into meltdown !

5 minutes ago, Yodo said:

I hate trolls 

Ooooh the prospect of a defeat and cup elimination and your all over this thread today. It's been a tough pre season for you, very few trolling opportunities to keep you busy.