L CUP Motherwell v Partick Thistle 28/07/2024

SteelmaninOZ

12 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

O'donnell moved back and first thing he does is stand deeper than other center backs. That's what players with lack of pace do.

Ah so it’s all O’Donnell’s fault that we’re shite then!

So same problems as before then. Defence still a liability, no midfield and lack of pace out wide. The players are probably are in the squad, but kettlewell seems reluctant to use correct players in correct positions.

I would hope young Wells is kept in the team. Only one with abit of drive and pace.

Kettlewell is utterly clueless and will be made to look even more of a clown once the league games start.

The only highlights from today were Miller and Wells. Special mention to Oxborough for doing a good job of commanding his box too. 

7 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Am I allowed to point out how dire we look without being called a pant wetter? 

Yer a troll! Ye couldn’t wait for this opportunity bla, bla bla.

On a serious note your concerns are completely valid. 

That was a hard watch. Thistle should have won. They at least looked like a football team. Once again bargain basement buys who are bereft of even a modicum of ability. We unearthed Van Veen and Theo Bair whose goals kept us in the Premier League in the last two seasons. Sooner or later we will come up dry with that. When that happens and it could be this season we will  e scrambling to avoid being in the bottom three in the league. Bottom six is the very best we can hope for. We are a club with very little money and what there is is disappearing fast. No investment appears to be on the horizon. Bair brought money on but that is not going on the playing side to at least try and up the quality we have. Miller will probably be of to Ibrox soon and who could blame him with the dross he is surrounded by. It's going to be a long long torturous season.

The formation is absolutley tragic without good wing-backs Seddon looked decent when he came on the Rwb looked absolutley lost. 

Additionally Blaney and Casey need to be so much better come the league. 

Think we need 5/6 bodies in still.

- Holding Mid, 2 Strikers, Lwb, Rwb, Attacking Midfielder.

352 also to be played 541 with no wingers clearly doesn't work for us

We are in serious bother. 

We need the Australian to be a Premiership level striker and also sign two midfielders to play with Miller. If we ever end up with Davor and Halliday as the two man central midfield in a league game we get a severe doing. Signing Halliday was utter stupidity. 

Kettlewell slaughtered the players on the radio but needs to take a share of the blame. The formation change at half time completely nullified our best player. Kris Doolan must have been delighted. 

• Thanks 1

Poor performance.  Only really hit the levels we need to be hitting for 15, 20 minutes at most.

Two things before we get into all the negatives.  Partick never really had a fully fledged chance in the match, whereas we had 5 or 6, so I don't think we were every in danger of losing the match.  Secondly, I think our first XI during the season will be a lot different from the line ups we've seen during these cup group matches.

Now on to the match...

Oxborough did OK, but didn't look especially comfortable with the ball at his feet.  Distribution needs to improve also.  I thought Gordon looked decent and defensively I thought we were OK apart from one or two loose balls.

Midfield is where the problem is.  Personnel has been effected by injuries but the blend seems way off right now, even the shape doesn't look great.  Obviously we are far too narrow and there is a lack of creativity.  

Not sure about a lot of those players.  To me O'Donnell and Halliday just look past it, like a couple of older guys huffing and puffing in a works team.  Davor, doesn't do a whole lot for me either, won a couple of tackles that's about it. Add in Wilson's inexperience and that's 4 out your 5.  We can't carry a midfield were 4 out of 5 are not going to be at the right levels.  Though we missed Paton today.  OK, he's no wizard but he gets on the ball and moves it and we looked far too sluggish today.

Up front I was pretty disappointed in Stuparevic, totally ineffective, but I thought Robinson showed something, needs to start putting away the chances though as he had a few today.

Probably 7 or 8 first choice players out, so perhaps you can look at these line ups as a second string but for me the midfield is totally dysfunctional and we desperately need changes there.  It remains to be seen if Nicholson, Slattery, Koutroumbis, Sparrow, Callachan etc (and the return of Paton) will make the difference in the midfield.

One last thing.  We knew 0-0 was going to put us into the next round and I felt like that did effect the performance especially in the second half.

Night and Day worse than the Clyde performance, a team lacking ability, heart and any sort of movement, slow all over the park, I know we were already through but to turn in a performance like that is just not professional and insulting to the fans.

Simple passing and moving we played at the level of under 13’s, Robbie Crawford and the boy Turner made our midfield look dreadful.

Things need to change 

• Like 2

Far from an ideal performance, but it's still early days.

Like it or not, we've lost some key players and individuals in the dressing room, such as Blair Spittal and Liam Kelly. We've signed eleven new players, a fair number of whom have been injured before the season has even started.

The likes of Wilson and O'Donnell likely weren't considered first-choice players this season, but we've had to rely on them for various reasons.

My preferred approach is not to judge until we're about eight weeks or so into the league campaign, as that gives new players time to settle in and gives injured players a chance to come back and make an impact.

The bottom line is we're through, and we've got a home game against Killie in the next round, so that's good news.

Ctrl C + Ctrl V from P&B:

Awful, turgid, Clarke-ball type stuff. Setting up to defend and take no risks, with absolutely no creativity or desire to take a risk with a pass.

Wilson has now shown to me that he's absolutely not a starting wing back and should only be used as back up. It took him 68 minutes to deliver a decent ball into the box. Seddon did it inside 68 seconds. He also showed very little awareness of his role as an outball or a willingness to get in behind; he stopped the play so often and countless times he stopped his run after playing it into feet. Miller left several flicks for him to run onto he just didn't bother with. He also put our centre backs under unnecessary pressure with some badly under hit passes and by letting the ball run out of play over his foot almost led to Blaney being sent off.

I'm singling him out a bit here because he's the perfect example of what's wrong across the team; inexperience in the system, lack of concentration etc. which will cost us against better opposition.

I get that he's young, I get that we need to be patient and give him time, but when the system we play relies on our wing backs being able to deliver in attacking areas he's just not good enough. SODs wasn't great in that regard either.

Casey was a bomb scare yet again; caught out several times looking for a foul that didn't come and his distribution/passing it to the opposition really puts us under pressure.

Wells looked good when he came on, had a willingness to drive forward and try to be creative at least.

We are in dire need of a proper number 10; the gap between Robinson and the midfield at times was absolutely huge. The less said about his missed header the better. Superb save from the Thistle keeper on his first half effort.

I could go on and on about each player but won't (as I'm sure we all could). I think the biggest issue I have is that if it's so glaringly obvious to all of us how bad this has been and it's not being fixed what on earth is Kettlewell's Plan B!? All he does is cycle the same players and positions with his subs and keep the same turgid nonsense going.

Just now, David said:

My preferred approach is not to judge until we're about eight weeks or so into the league campaign, as that gives new players time to settle in and gives injured players a chance to come back and make an impact.

For me you have to give the team a full round of matches before you start seriously trying to analyse it.

Right now it's all preliminary findings.

Right just back in, where do I start with that today, yes Partick had a few opportunities but never took any of them, the 1st save Oxborough had to make was in the penalty shootout ffs so we never looked like losing that game.

We were too slow apart from the spell before half time when their keeper had to brilliant saves, would like to see a replay of the 2 challenges on Robinson both looked dodgy.

So all in all not a great performance but objective achieved, group winners and into the last 16, not seeded but that's irrelevant as the seeding is a farce designed for the sole purpose of keeping the ugly sisters apart.

So on to the proper football next week we need to pick up our pace but I'm sure when SK has a full squad to pick from the team will look nothing like that one today.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1