L CUP Motherwell v Partick Thistle 28/07/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

So on to the proper football next week we need to pick up our pace but I'm sure when SK has a full squad to pick from the team will look nothing like that one today.

The proper football? Today was a League Cup tie, that is proper football. It wasn’t a pre-season friendly it was a match in a major tournament. And in that match we struggled to a 0-0 draw against a Championship side and created very little before losing a penalty shootout. Alarm bells are ringing loud and clear ahead of the start of the league season for me. 

And SK is going to have a full squad to pick from next week? Is he really? Or are the injuries to Slattery, Paton, Nicholson and Seddon going to miraculously clear up between now and next Saturday??

I'm assuming those who said Partick never looked like scoring didn't see Graham blazing over an open goal. Or the easy chance they missed in the first half.. They had chances. We had a couple too but let's not pretend they created nothing...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm assuming those who said Partick never looked like scoring didn't see Graham blazing over an open goal. Or the easy chance they missed in the first half.. They had chances. We had a couple too but let's not pretend they created nothing...

I’m still finding it hard to believe that Thistle didn’t score !!

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

Yes I saw them all, and as I said poor finishing creating  chances is the easy bit, finishing the job by scoring them is the hard bit. Nobody ever remembers how many chances a team created, it's the ones that result in goals that get the headlines.

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

A drab draw was the right result today between two mediocre teams. We are no better or stronger than we were at any point last season, if anything it’s the opposite as I said earlier. There is nothing to indicate that we are going to have anything other than a turgid, eye-bleedingly poor season again this year, but this time we might not be so fortunate to scrape so many points with last minute equalisers.

14 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Right just back in, where do I start with that today, yes Partick had a few opportunities but never took any of them, the 1st save Oxborough had to make was in the penalty shootout ffs so we never looked like losing that game.

We were too slow apart from the spell before half time when their keeper had to brilliant saves, would like to see a replay of the 2 challenges on Robinson both looked dodgy.

So all in all not a great performance but objective achieved, group winners and into the last 16, not seeded but that's irrelevant as the seeding is a farce designed for the sole purpose of keeping the ugly sisters apart.

So on to the proper football next week we need to pick up our pace but I'm sure when SK has a full squad to pick from the team will look nothing like that one today.

I thought we looked like loosing that game from kick off to final whistle 

Terrible performance.

Playing 1 up top with two wing backs with no pace is never going to work.

Ewan Wilson really struggled yet we keep him on until 80 minutes, we all want young players to do well but his body language was clear his confidence was low.

If Sparrow couldn't add to that today why sign him

• Like 1

Our midfield three are the issue, every ball has to go through Lennon, Partick knew that and closed him down, but questions need to be asked of Halliday and Davor, zero movement off the ball, a pair of statues constantly want to play the ball backwards. What is also up with our passing, blamed the Astro for the Clyde game, but no excuses today.

8 minutes ago, Claretamberribbon said:

Terrible performance.

Ewan Wilson really struggled yet we keep him on until 80 minutes, we all want young players to do well but his body language was clear his confidence was low.

I think a fair few on the bench are there for emergencies. Feels like a few might still be carrying niggles; otherwise you'd have to question why Balmer wasn't starting based on Casey's performance today, same for McGinn and Seddon.

At least we saw the latter today; hopefully that's a sign he's good to go by the weekend.

Stama was in the stand today, he must have the absolute fear about his ability to score goals with such awful service.

19 hours ago, stv said:

No chance . SK missed out on the classes teaching two up when he did his badges. 

After that embarrassment. I think he dogged all the classes except the one about giving out lemons at half time. He knows nothing about attacking football its all negative shite, has been for many months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

Ctrl C + Ctrl V from P&B:

Awful, turgid, Clarke-ball type stuff. Setting up to defend and take no risks, with absolutely no creativity or desire to take a risk with a pass.

Wilson has now shown to me that he's absolutely not a starting wing back and should only be used as back up. It took him 68 minutes to deliver a decent ball into the box. Seddon did it inside 68 seconds. He also showed very little awareness of his role as an outball or a willingness to get in behind; he stopped the play so often and countless times he stopped his run after playing it into feet. Miller left several flicks for him to run onto he just didn't bother with. He also put our centre backs under unnecessary pressure with some badly under hit passes and by letting the ball run out of play over his foot almost led to Blaney being sent off.

I'm singling him out a bit here because he's the perfect example of what's wrong across the team; inexperience in the system, lack of concentration etc. which will cost us against better opposition.

I get that he's young, I get that we need to be patient and give him time, but when the system we play relies on our wing backs being able to deliver in attacking areas he's just not good enough. SODs wasn't great in that regard either.

Casey was a bomb scare yet again; caught out several times looking for a foul that didn't come and his distribution/passing it to the opposition really puts us under pressure.

Wells looked good when he came on, had a willingness to drive forward and try to be creative at least.

We are in dire need of a proper number 10; the gap between Robinson and the midfield at times was absolutely huge. The less said about his missed header the better. Superb save from the Thistle keeper on his first half effort.

I could go on and on about each player but won't (as I'm sure we all could). I think the biggest issue I have is that if it's so glaringly obvious to all of us how bad this has been and it's not being fixed what on earth is Kettlewell's Plan B!? All he does is cycle the same players and positions with his subs and keep the same turgid nonsense going.

Pretty much how I saw it. We were disjointed and lacked any creativity. We missed a Furlong/ Georgy Gent  WB to give us width and pace and at the moment Wilson is not capable of doing that. And if pace can't be coached, then..........

BTW, any idea what Thistle's MacKay did or said to provoke such a reaction from Kettlewell? Thought the latter was going to banjo him at one point.

Very concerning today but we are through to the last 16 so job done but there is massive improvement required.   Back 3 has to be gordon balmer and mcginn, I don't think Wilson is ready so would like to see seddon get a chance. Hope Aussie is going to improve us but he needs the service.   Kettlewell needs to up his game big time but not time for panic button yet

Dire stuff from us today,between that and the rest of the group games,it looks like the issues from last season haven't been resolved,what's really baffling is we've just spent a decent amount for us on a forward but we create very little due to the way the manager sets us up,that means we will have 4 forwards but a manager that doesn't seem to have the belief in playing 2 together for more than a half a game.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

One last thing.  We knew 0-0 was going to put us into the next round and I felt like that did effect the performance especially in the second half.

Absolutely. Everything seemed indicative of a half hearted pre season warm up today as we adopted a cautious and conservative approach to the game. Even the approach to penalty kicks had a trainign ground feel about. I don't know how SK would have reacted if Thistle had scored and perhaps forced a change of attitude and mindset.

2 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Night and Day worse than the Clyde performance, a team lacking ability, heart and any sort of movement, slow all over the park, I know we were already through but to turn in a performance like that is just not professional and insulting to the fans.

Simple passing and moving we played at the level of under 13’s, Robbie Crawford and the boy Turner made our midfield look dreadful.

Things need to change 

I coached u13s last season and my boys move the ball much better than Motherwell did today 

2 hours ago, Claretamberribbon said:

Terrible performance.

Welcome to the forum. Good first post.