L CUP Motherwell v Partick Thistle 28/07/2024

SteelmaninOZ

4 hours ago, MJC said:

Halliday just won’t do I’m afraid. He’s too slow, too old and is basically done. If we are relying on him being a regular going into this season then we have big problems.

he struts about like Billy Big Bollocks always wants the ball then passes it fuckin back all the time.

2 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

BTW, any idea what Thistle's MacKay did or said to provoke such a reaction from Kettlewell? Thought the latter was going to banjo him at one point.

I tink he was in some kind of altercation with one one of our lads at a throw in. However, he acted like a complete ned thoughout his time on the pitch. No doubt involved in a few annoying and unsavoury incidents that would have riled SK.Β  If I recall rightly he put in a horrific challenge on Lennon MIller(?) well after the ball was away. A stick on red card.

I agree with many previous comments. To me the game still had an air of pre season preparation about it and getting time in legs. Ann overly cautious approach and lack of aggression against a big and physical Partick side (apologies to any journos) who put it about. I don't get why Balmer and McGinn were unussed subs.Β  Surely both needed gametime before the league starts next week?Β  The system we used isolated the striker(s) against a big physical uncompromising defence. It was destined to fail.Β  None of the 3 strikers we've used so far can play as a lone striker.

Defence wise we looked a bit shambolic at times with Casey and Blaney looking error prone. Gordon did ok. Neither O'Donnell, who had a poor game or Wilson impressed and we badly lack pace at wing back - SK's system needs that. In defence of O'Donnell, Partick quickly sussed that he had no cover in front of him and tookΒ  advantage of that. The midfield was very poor, with no creativity, physical presence or aggression.Β  Paton was badly missed today for his energy and endeavour. Davor was lightweight andΒ  ineffective. Good to see Dylan Wells get some gametime but he looked a little lost at times against bigger and more physical opponents.

The ref was very poor and made error after error.

We could have scored several but for a powder puff attackΒ  and bad luck. That said, Partick could have had 3 but rarely tested Oxborough.

Big changes required for next week, but injuries have limited scope for that in midfield and lack of gametime will hamper Balmer and McGinn. Β 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I trhink he was in some kind of altercation with one one of our lads at a throw in. However, he acted like a complete ned thoughout his time on the pitch. No doubt involved in a few annoying and unsavoury incidents that would have riled SK.Β  If I recall rightly he put in a horrific challenge on Lennon MIller(?) well after the ball was away. A stick on red card.

Kettlewell rarely reacts like this so I did wonder. I do recall a MacKay late challengeΒ  but wondered if he had shouldered one of ours dangerously near the wall below the main stand since the incidentΒ  kicked off below me thereΒ  but I couldn't see clearly.

Fanks onnyhoo.

10 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

No surprise to anyone in that statement the referee was dreadful yesterday, there's a good reason we never saw any Scottish officials at the Euros, they are all hopeless, I suspect that won't be their last mistake this season.

Doolan is technically correct and that needs to be investigated; it just shouldn't happen. However, the disallowed change may have made no difference whatsoever. Also, he didn't mention the same officials denied us a very strong penalty claim.

Incidentally, I don't know that Thistle created the better chances

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Doolan is technically correct and that needs to be investigated; it just shouldn't happen. However, the disallowed change may have made no difference whatsoever. Also, he didn't mention the same officials denied us a very strong penalty claim.

Michael Stewart had the best line on that during commentary. Something akin to: "There's definitely contact there from the centre back and keeper, they don't win the ball, but it's not a penalty for me." 🀣

Just on that; I think Robinson needs a goal and he'll gain all sorts of confidence. You could see for the penalty claim that he just wasn't that confident taking the ball forward/round the keeper. Hopefully that comes with a goal or two, bit like it did for Bair.

Apparently there was a rammyΒ  in the steelworks after the game yesterday, judging by the picture it looks like there were more police there than punters.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/13242043/cops-scots-pub-football-fans-clash-two-arrested/#Echobox=1722253430

Only two arrests it seems so not exactly riot material.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Apparently there was a rammyΒ  in the steelworks after the game yesterday, judging by the picture it looks like there were more police there than punters.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/13242043/cops-scots-pub-football-fans-clash-two-arrested/#Echobox=1722253430

My brother in law was at game with me as he is a jags fan. Got off train at airbles and there were 20 ultras in black and ski masks walking down middle of road so obviously looking for trouble then.

I hope this isn't going to be another season with fan bother, really drags club down but is a problem all clubs have.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Why were the 2 respective clubs approached for comment? Not normal practice for post match disorder is it? The clubs probably wouldn't even know the identities of those involved, or indeed what took place. It'll be interesting if the OF clubs are approached for comment after traditional post game derby trouble.

20 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

STV news reporting Thistle have complained to the SFA/ SPFL about not getting the sub on, apparently they want the game to be replayed.

26 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

STV news reporting Thistle have complained to the SFA/ SPFL about not getting the sub on, apparently they want the game to be replayed.

No mention of this in their official statement Allan.

Do we know exactly when they wanted to bring on this sub?

The situation is unfair but no more so when an obvious refeering error is made regarding disallowed goals, red cards or penalties.

Off at a complete tangent here but did anyone else notice that the noise generated by the Thistle fans seemed to be a lot louder up in the top tier.

Verdict amongst us was that being closer to the roof made the noise reverberate onto the park more.

Or maybe we were all so scunnered by that time we were looking for things to talk about other than the game.

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The situation is unfair but no more so when an obvious refeering error is made regarding disallowed goals, red cards or penalties.

News story said they wanted to bring sub on 5 mins from the end, head of refereeing Wullie Collum has admitted they made a James hunt of it and apologised. News report stated they were seeking an explanation and the game replayed, nothing from any official at PT

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Judging by the line ups on the BBC, it was around the 83 min that they brought on Chalmers and he was the replacement for sub they couldn’t bring on. I’d be surprised if they decide to replay the game but hey, it’s Scottish football πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

No need to replay the whole game again surely. 3 minutes added on time played. So, if they wanted to bring on the sub at the 82nd minute, replay the last 11 minutes. The error had no bearing whatsoever on the previous 82 minutes or whatever.Β 

The SPFL being what it is anything is possible. However, if a replay is ordered for an officiating errorΒ  then that could open the flood gates to a plethora of other erroneous decisions.Β 

The most sensible outcome would be to pay Thistle some compensation. Why should we be punished as we've done nothing wrong?

The reality is that we have done absolutely nothing wrong and so a replay would be an unfair and downright outrageous outcome for us to have to pay the price for Scottish football incompetence. But nothing would surprise me.Β 

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Replay at a neutral venue.

Probably Dingwall on a Tuesday night!

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

There will be no replay , the minute the SFA allow replays because of fucked up officiating a precedent is set and the flood gates will open. The SFA know it and won't touch that idea with a barge pole.