Cup Motherwell v Dundee United 20/09/2024

SteelmaninOZ

By my reckoning this will be our 12th League Cup Semi-Final. Details of previous 11 as follows:

1950/51 v Ayr Utd W 4-3
1951/52 v Dundee L 5-1
1954/55 v East Fife W 2-1
1955/56 v St Mirren L 2-0*
1969/70 v St Johnstone L 2-0
1986/87 v Celtic L 5-4 on pens
1987/88 v Rangers L 3-1
2004/05 v Hearts W 3-2 aet
2005/06 v Celtic L 2-1
2010/11    v Rangers L 2-1
2017/18   v Rangers W 2-0

* After 3-3 draw.

11 hours ago, El Grew said:

By my reckoning this will be our 12th League Cup Semi-Final. Details of previous 11 as follows:

1950/51 v Ayr Utd W 4-3
1951/52 v Dundee L 5-1
1954/55 v East Fife W 2-1
1955/56 v St Mirren L 2-0*
1969/70 v St Johnstone L 2-0
1986/87 v Celtic L 5-4 on pens
1987/88 v Rangers L 3-1
2004/05 v Hearts W 3-2 aet
2005/06 v Celtic L 2-1
2010/11    v Rangers L 2-1
2017/18   v Rangers W 2-0

* After 3-3 draw.

Great Summary. In my footballing lifetime, which started with the Stuart Rennie 'steps incident' against airdrie, we've only ever lost in semis to either Celtic or Rangers (both League Cup and Scottish Cup) and have beaten them both once each in semis. (If my memory is accurate).

I could be wrong as I, at this stage, haven’t got anything official yet mate. But like everyone else I will also guess and say about 12k. They were a few empty seats in the Cooper and PoD stands as I saw on the various vlogs and official tv coverage. What ever the official number is it was great to see and I wish I was there.

SIWY

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Does anyone know what the official attendance was on Friday night? A great effort by the Society. For once, volunteers turned out in numbers.

I think it was announced on the night as 8337. But not 100% certain given I was struggling to make out the tannoy announcement.

• Like 2

AllyMax: "In my footballing lifetime, which started with the Stuart Rennie 'steps incident' against Airdrie, we've only ever lost in semis to either Celtic or Rangers ."

God, the 1975 and 1976  S-F decisions still live in my memory. When was any other GK pulled up for his steps? Of course the JRP Gordon performance was even worse than a possible honest mistake and he was caught taking bribes a few years later.

I think beating The Hens is a realistic possibility if we play to our strengths but we'll need a decent referee.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

AllyMax: "In my footballing lifetime, which started with the Stuart Rennie 'steps incident' against Airdrie, we've only ever lost in semis to either Celtic or Rangers ."

God, the 1975 and 1976  S-F decisions still live in my memory. When was any other GK pulled up for his steps? Of course the JRP Gordon performance was even worse than a possible honest mistake and he was caught taking bribes a few years later.

I think beating The Hens is a realistic possibility if we play to our strengths but we'll need a decent referee.

75-76 was my first season ticket season (I was 11). Early in the season, we played the H*ns at Fir park and beat them 3-1. My season ticket was in the old centre stand and the unsold season ticket seats were occupied by away fans who, when we went 2-1 up started threatening old 'well fans around me, with a couple of old codgers getting punched etc. There were a couple of polis in the stand who did fuck all despite being asked multiple times. That and the semi final instilled in me a deep deep rooted hatred of rangers that has never gone away. Obviously, as a 'well fan, I'm completely anti 'any other team' but my dislike and hatred of Rangers runs a lot deeper. 

Hope we pump them rotten.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

75-76 was my first season ticket season (I was 11). Early in the season, we played the H*ns at Fir park and beat them 3-1. My season ticket was in the old centre stand and the unsold season ticket seats were occupied by away fans who, when we went 2-1 up started threatening old 'well fans around me, with a couple of old codgers getting punched etc. There were a couple of polis in the stand who did fuck all despite being asked multiple times. That and the semi final instilled in me a deep deep rooted hatred of rangers that has never gone away. Obviously, as a 'well fan, I'm completely anti 'any other team' but my dislike and hatred of Rangers runs a lot deeper. 

Hope we pump them rotten.

Gosh, thought it was just me. The cumulative effect of incidents like these which I have witnessed over the years (1962 onwards) has led me to the same conclusion. My only direct experience of The Green Brigade pales into relative insignificance by comparison.

The 1978 3-5 game at FP against them, when their twenty-minute riot went unpunished (despite senior police officers being on duty that day)  after us going 2-0 up was the last straw of a long line of them: sheer intimidation and anarchy but no sanctions by the "authorities".

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Gosh, thought it was just me. The cumulative effect of incidents like these which I have witnessed over the years (1962 onwards) has led me to the same conclusion. My only direct experience of The Green Brigade pales into relative insignificance by comparison.

The 1978 3-5 game at FP against them, when their twenty-minute riot went unpunished (despite senior police officers being on duty that day)  after us going 2-0 up was the last straw of a long line of them: sheer intimidation and anarchy but no sanctions by the "authorities".

This was the day my hatred of Rangers was born. I was 9 years old and my father had to carry me across the pitch to safety to avoid the missiles raining down on us. Absolutely disgraceful stuff.

2 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Did you know that the ref in the Airdrie game was a linesman in the AC Milan bribery incident?

Rollo Kyle was his name (I think). Add in the indirect free kick against Celtic in the mid 2000's semi-final for the keeper (Woods I think) not releasing the ball quickly enough, another rule rarely enforced.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

We were there manning the wall at Fir Park 😳

A brilliant night and atmosphere that will live long in the memory. Travelled down from Inverness with my Dad for the match which we only manage a few times a season - he's Motherwell born (in 1949..!), so visited some of his old haunts around town the next day and he was absolutely chuffed at the game. We both enjoyed the new beer garden pre-match. Sat in the PO'D stand, Louis Moult actually received a bit of a ''Louis! Louis!' chant from the home fans as he made his way up the tunnel at full-time. Well done to all the players and our support, never gave up. Nights like that make the rollercoaster worth it I'd say!

• Like 6

Oh dear, the Courier is upset.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/5088556/premier-sports-cup-motherwell-dundee-united-commentary-probe/

In all my years of supporting the Well, I've yet to come across a happy Dundee United fan.

This could open up a can of worms and not just for Premier Sports. Are you reading BBC? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/5088556/premier-sports-cup-motherwell-dundee-united-commentary-probe/

In all my years of supporting of supporting the Well, I've yet to come across a happy Dundee United fan.

This could open up a can of worms and not just for Premier Sports. Are you reading BBC? 

Just saw that. 

I get why some away fans might not be happy to basically pay 9.99 and watch Motherwell tv commentary - but that's on Premier Sports - if they did use Motherwell tv commentary - why should Motherwell commentators need to be impartial? Their issue was clearly not telling away fans who would be doing the commentary. 

I watched the end of a Motherwell Livi game in club 100 last year and it was Livi tv doing the commentary for that match that the pub screened - and they certainly weren't impartial. 

32 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

In all my years of supporting of supporting the Well, I've yet to come across a happy Dundee United fan.

Given that its a national cup competition and Premier Sports presumably outbid other channels for the rights, the clubs really need to grow a set next year and insist they treat every game as seriously as they would if their preferred clubs were involved.

• Like 1

Agree 100% it's on Premier Sports. They decided to buy the competition and if they don't want the home club's commentators they need to stop being cheap and provide their own.

It's one thing when you subscribe to a club's own TV streaming, but if I paid Premier Sports to watch the semi-final, I'd be upset if I had to listen to a Rangers TV commentator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

if they did use Motherwell tv commentary - why should Motherwell commentators need to be impartial?

Depends who’s paying them I guess. If Premier Sports are paying their fee for these games and have asked them to be impartial (as alleged), then it wouldn’t be unreasonable for them to tone it down a bit. If they’re not, then it serves them right.