Cup Motherwell v Dundee United 20/09/2024

SteelmaninOZ

There's no way any fan could stay impartial and not get caught up in the moment if asked to commentate on a game.it was a cup quarter final live on the tele how the fuck could the broadcaster not provide a neutral commentary team,total amateur stuff from premier sports.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, numpty said:

Depends who’s paying them I guess. If Premier Sports are paying their fee for these games and have asked them to be impartial (as alleged), then it wouldn’t be unreasonable for them to tone it down a bit. If they’re not, then it serves them right.

But I’m paying money to watch Motherwell TV with a Motherwell supporting commentator so why should that change for any game? Premier sports need to provide their own commentary or make fans aware that commentary will be biased for the home team. 

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Oh dear, the Courier is upset.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/5088556/premier-sports-cup-motherwell-dundee-united-commentary-probe/

In all my years of supporting the Well, I've yet to come across a happy Dundee United fan.

This could open up a can of worms and not just for Premier Sports. Are you reading BBC? 

Jings crivens and help ma boab.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mfc said:

There's no way any fan could stay impartial and not get caught up in the moment if asked to commentate on a game.it was a cup quarter final live on the tele how the fuck could the broadcaster not provide a neutral commentary team,total amateur stuff from premier sports.

And of course had the game been at Tannadice the home commentator would have remained totally calm and not gotten excited at all at his team scoring from a penalty deep into injury time to book a semi final place.

As others have said, any complaints should be directed to Premier Sports. In fairness I think the complaints from Utd are regards the Broadcaster rather than Motherwell.

It is quite funny though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ped_MFC said:

Missed the game as I was abroad on holiday. Can anyone tell me if the matchday programme included any of the album stickers or is that only in the league programmes?

It did have stickers inside aye. Would've happily posted to you but gave them to a lad sitting in front of me on Friday, sorry!

22 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

But I’m paying money to watch Motherwell TV with a Motherwell supporting commentator so why should that change for any game? Premier sports need to provide their own commentary or make fans aware that commentary will be biased for the home team. 

Premier Sports were clear that they would only be providing streaming of the game and not produced by them on their channels.  Obviously they are just using the home clubs stream that would be going out to supporters outside the uk 

1 hour ago, andalg said:

Premier Sports were clear that they would only be providing streaming of the game and not produced by them on their channels.  Obviously they are just using the home clubs stream that would be going out to supporters outside the uk 

Thats a really terrible contract negotiation then on behalf of the SPFL.

That essentially does the club hosting the game out of money they could have made by streaming the game direct.

If all they want is the ugly sisters, fine. Pay for that and we share the revenue. 

But dont pretend you are interested in the other clubs and then cant be arsed actually covering the game.

Where is the benefit to Motherwell and Dundee United there?

Just feels like a bone Premier Sports can through their subscribers at no extra cost to themselves.

• Like 1

I think there is some extra cost to Premier Sports, because the club doesn't provide their own feed, just the commentary.

I believe the video stream we watch is normally provided by the broadcasting company - typically the BBC, but I presume in this case, Premier Sports in some form or other.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think there is some extra cost to Premier Sports, because the club doesn't provide their own feed, just the commentary.

I believe the video stream we watch is normally provided by the broadcasting company - typically the BBC, but I presume in this case, Premier Sports in some form or other.

I dont know the actual answer to that but can say, the usual cameras at TV games were not there. Just the one up in the gantry in the main stand

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

Did we not decide (along with United) to not have VAR in place? Saved us £16k or something I thought. Aberdeen did the same.

We did, but were only able to do that because the game wasn't picked as a "proper" Premier Sports live broadcast and the competition rules state VAR is then optional.

For the 2 games that were broadcast live, the rule is VAR must be used if technically possible. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

We did, but were only able to do that because the game wasn't picked as a "proper" Premier Sports live broadcast and the competition rules state VAR is then optional.

For the 2 games that were broadcast live, the rule is VAR must be used if technically possible. 

So, TV companies can basically dictate which games have to implement VAR in the cup, and which don't? 

7 minutes ago, David said:

So, TV companies can basically dictate which games have to implement VAR in the cup, and which don't? 

I think it's the other way round. Clubs like ourselves and Utd took advantage of the regulation to ditch it. We could still have used it if we wanted to, but who wants to?

I assume the regulation is there so that lower-league clubs aren't required to implement VAR for a one-off cup tie when they don't have the budget or infrastructure to support it.