Cup Motherwell v Dundee United 20/09/2024

SteelmaninOZ

3 hours ago, Dee said:

Total sales sitting above 6k as of this morning. 

Interestingly, data shows that the vast majority of our fans purchase within 48 hours of the match, no doubt payday will be a factor like you said. 

Here's hoping we can add a good few more on to that total before kick-off on Friday. A huge thank you to every member of the Society who has volunteered to get the word out there and raise the profile of the match and the Society. Initiatives like such take time to build and growth doesn't always come overnight but developing connections in our community and regularly having a visible presence in the town and surrounding areas is key to getting results off the park. 

Thats a lot better if that 6000 is just the home fans. If Its the total its piss poor with Utd bringing 2000. We really need to be getting crowds of 7/7500 home gates out with the OF on a semi  regular basis when teams like Aberdeen , Hibs, Hearts &, Dundee Utd bring around 2000 fans. That is what St Mirren are getting and it surely isn't beyond Motherwell but I still have my doubts whether we can achieve it - and please no unsubstantiated pish that St Mirrens increased gates are all down to freebies.  

3 hours ago, Dee said:

Total sales sitting above 6k as of this morning. 

Interestingly, data shows that the vast majority of our fans purchase within 48 hours of the match, no doubt payday will be a factor like you said. 

Here's hoping we can add a good few more on to that total before kick-off on Friday. A huge thank you to every member of the Society who has volunteered to get the word out there and raise the profile of the match and the Society. Initiatives like such take time to build and growth doesn't always come overnight but developing connections in our community and regularly having a visible presence in the town and surrounding areas is key to getting results off the park. 

29 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

That is what St Mirren are getting and it surely isn't beyond Motherwell but I still have my doubts whether we can achieve it - and please no unsubstantiated pish that St Mirrens increased gates are all down to freebies.  

You can watch the highlights on YouTube and see that they are lying about their crowds. The crowds they are claiming would require about 75% attendance in all three home stands and it's clearly nowhere near that. 

16 minutes ago, steelboy said:

On the subject of our crowds we aren't going to get much of an uplift when we are making it difficult for high school kids to attend and offering no PATG. 

Fair point. We really do need to make it as easy as possible for fans to buy tickets. We're putting too many obstacles in their way. 

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

It has nothing to do with the manager our crowds have been in this ball park area for 15 years.

Say what you like about the manager, but also perhaps consider that the lack of a pay at the gate option, the current CEO locking out kids, and a former police officer making it incredibly difficult and hostile for fan groups to attend without persecution have something to do with our fanbase stagnating.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Say what you like about the manager, but also perhaps consider that the lack of a pay at the gate option, the current CEO locking out kids, and a former police officer making it incredibly difficult and hostile for fan groups to attend without persecution have something to do with our fanbase stagnating.

Ill certainly agree the lack pay at the gate doesn't help however as mentioned other teams in the top league operate in the same way and don't have the almost stagnant attendances we get.

In the 50 odd years I've been attending games at Fir Park, the crowds have never been great, they were probably larger on average back then, but people's habits change, different work patterns, increased cost etc limit today's attendances. 4 to 6K is about the limit for our home crowds plus how many thousands of fans travel from our traditional catchment area to support the ugly sisters every week?

We have our stable core support, various things have been tried over the years but we are never going to significant crowd increases, maintaining what we have is more important.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

My mistake , I didn't notice you said "total sales sitting above 6000k" , thats really poor considering Utd are bringing close to 2000. I really despair for our future when we cant get fans out for a Quarter Final at home. 

Im not sure what you are basing your assessment on.

Obviously, I want the home crowd to be as big as possible.

But 4000 plus home fans when the game is no longer on the season ticket and the game is live on tv, doesnt seem that poor to me.

We only have 4500 season ticket holders so pretty much all of them are coming.

I remember when big cup games would draw around 10k.

But there was no tv in those days so the only way to see the game in full was to go to the match.

How many tickets do you think we should sell?

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

I do agree that a pay at the gate option would make things more convenient for some to attend, but Im not sure its an impediment to attending.

It was an issue at the weekend, but as far as Im aware you can buy an e ticket right up to ko for this one.

We have done the safeguarding issue to death. The club has taken a position on that as all other clubs have had to do.

Derek says the Block E issue has been resolved.

So maybe, just maybe, numbers are being limited as the game is live on tv......

For context.

In season 93/94, the season we should have won the league, our average home attendance was 7894.

That was inflated by 4 full houses of 14k v Celtic and Rangers.

Our lowest attendance was a midweek game v St Johnstone and was 4527.

The majority of attendances were between 5 - 7k.

Prices were lower, there was little to no live tv away supports were decent.

And that was our best league season in living memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Im not sure what you are basing your assessment on.

Obviously, I want the home crowd to be as big as possible.

But 4000 plus home fans when the game is no longer on the season ticket and the game is live on tv, doesnt seem that poor to me.

We only have 4500 season ticket holders so pretty much all of them are coming.

I remember when big cup games would draw around 10k.

But there was no tv in those days so the only way to see the game in full was to go to the match.

How many tickets do you think we should sell?

I'm basing it on our crowds never move. If the game wasnt on TV we'd still get 4/4500 , for the life of me I think the last time we had 5000 plus Motherwell fans in the crowd was the Rangers play off. St Mirren and Kilmarnock seem to see healthy up turns in their crowds when things are going well we still get 3500/4500 no mater how well we do. 

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

For context.

In season 93/94, the season we should have won the league, our average home attendance was 7894.

That was inflated by 4 full houses of 14k v Celtic and Rangers.

Our lowest attendance was a midweek game v St Johnstone and was 4527.

The majority of attendances were between 5 - 7k.

Prices were lower, there was little to no live tv away supports were decent.

And that was our best league season in living memory.

Your just confirming my point no matter how well we do the home fans range between 3500 and 4500 and that was the same 30 years ago, which I think is poor for a top flight club. If we want to progress we would need to improve on that and I don think its possible based on the way our fans turnout which I think is sad.

Just now, FirParkCornerExile said:

Your just confirming my point no matter how well we do the home fans range between 3500 and 4500 and that was the same 30 years ago, which I think is poor for a top flight club. If we want to progress we would need to improve on that and I don think its possible based on the way our fans turnout which I think is sad. Id hate to think all the foot pounding over the last few days by some well motivated fans doesnt end up with the same  4000 fans.

24 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I'm basing it on our crowds never move. If the game wasnt on TV we'd still get 4/4500 , for the life of me I think the last time we had 5000 plus Motherwell fans in the crowd was the Rangers play off. St Mirren and Kilmarnock seem to see healthy up turns in their crowds when things are going well we still get 3500/4500 no mater how well we do. 

Took St Mirren a long time to get to that point am sure. We have a small core support and it's probably always going to be that way although I believe the well society said they had plans for increasing season ticket sales. 

I personally wouldn't blame anyone who didn't have a lot of spare cash for staying in and watching it on the tv tomorrow 

It is frustrating. Particularly because if we get to the semi final fans will come out in their numbers but that's always the way 

33 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Your just confirming my point no matter how well we do the home fans range between 3500 and 4500 and that was the same 30 years ago, which I think is poor for a top flight club. If we want to progress we would need to improve on that and I don think its possible based on the way our fans turnout which I think is sad.

Its nothing to do with the way our fans turnout, our core support has been stable for decades, it's almost entirely geography based, location, location, location as they say. We are a top flight club right in the middle of the ugly sisters prime territory, with the sectarian baggage that comes with them so we are never going to attract any of those fans as they all do what's been bred into them since birth and join the blue and green hoardes.

Some will turn out for a cup final, but that's usually because their big team are not involved.

Apologies.

I thought you were suggesting sales for this game were poor and that we should be selling more tickets than we have.

To be fair, that particular post was more in response to Wellfans post than yours......

11 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

…… I do think its crazy that fans cant just rock up on the day of most league games and have to go to the ticket office beforehand. No other business would make it so difficult for fans to part with their money. If anyone is on the Well Society board or knows someone who is can they ask why the club just cant have a QR code on the wall beside the turnstiles where folk scan the code get their ticket and get in……

I agree with this in principle but how do we stop opposing fans using it and gaining entry to areas they’re not allowed which could lead to trouble?

Not sure how it works at the moment but there is - or was - a QR code next to the ticket office. 
Going forward we could possibly create and use a data base of WS members, fans who have previously bought tickets for the home stands, ex season ticket holder’s and get them to sign up to the data base logging their phone number to gain access, limiting them to a max 2 tickets.