Cup Motherwell v Dundee United 20/09/2024

SteelmaninOZ

7 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

My mistake , I didn't notice you said "total sales sitting above 6000k" , thats really poor considering Utd are bringing close to 2000. I really despair for our future when we cant get fans out for a Quarter Final at home. 

Who have you persuaded to go with you to the game to help the situation

8 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

I agree with this in principle but how do we stop opposing fans using it and gaining entry to areas they’re not allowed which could lead to trouble?

Not sure how it works at the moment but there is - or was - a QR code next to the ticket office. 
Going forward we could possibly create and use a data base of WS members, fans who have previously bought tickets for the home stands, ex season ticket holder’s and get them to sign up to the data base logging their phone number to gain access, limiting them to a max 2 tickets. 

I take the point and a reasonable solution if possible however the only likelihood of that happening would be OF games, no other clubs would would need to use home stands and in that case you suspend the QR code entry for OF games. 

19 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Thats a lot better if that 6000 is just the home fans. If Its the total its piss poor with Utd bringing 2000. 

We have 4,000 - 4,500 fans and probably fewer are going to go to a match not on the season ticket.

Even back in the day when it was a tenner to get in, you could just turn up at a turnstile and the quality of the football was infinitely better, we were rarely getting over 5,000 home supporters.

There was also a genuine belief we could actually win a cup which I don't think really exists any more. 

It's not piss poor, it's just the size of our support.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We have 4,000 - 4,500 fans and probably fewer are going to go to a match not on the season ticket.

Even back in the day when it was a tenner to get in, you could just turn up at a turnstile and the quality of the football was infinitely better, we were rarely getting over 5,000 home supporters.

There was also a genuine belief we could actually win a cup which I don't think really exists any more. 

Afraid we will just need to agree to differ. Home crowds of 3500/4000 for a team that's been in the top division for 45 years, competing in Europe over 35 times and been to 4 cup finals in the last 25 years is piss poor.  The fact that it is our historical average still , for me, doesn't stop it being piss poor. I'm not suggesting we should be getting 7/8000 home supports but I don't think it unreasonable to expect our crowds to rise beyond what seems like a static top figure of 4500. A home crowd of anything north of 5/5500 is pretty decent compared to our historical averages and should be our target average to grow the support. I'm pleased the efforts of all those folk out delivering leaflets appears on the face of it to have paid dividends for tonight , it would have been a slap in the face to them if it hadn't. Well done to each and every one of them. 

11 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

I agree with this in principle but how do we stop opposing fans using it and gaining entry to areas they’re not allowed which could lead to trouble?

Not sure how it works at the moment but there is - or was - a QR code next to the ticket office. 
Going forward we could possibly create and use a data base of WS members, fans who have previously bought tickets for the home stands, ex season ticket holder’s and get them to sign up to the data base logging their phone number to gain access, limiting them to a max 2 tickets. 

Take the QR codes off the wall when the OF visit? Surely that's easy...

In all my time watching at Fir Park I can only remember any bother in the home stands, when it was the weegies that were visiting

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Afraid we will just need to agree to differ. Home crowds of 3500/4000 for a team that's been in the top division for 45 years, competing in Europe over 35 times and been to 4 cup finals in the last 25 years is piss poor.  The fact that it is our historical average still , for me, doesn't stop it being piss poor. I'm not suggesting we should be getting 7/8000 home supports but I don't think it unreasonable to expect our crowds to rise beyond what seems like a static top figure of 4500. A home crowd of anything north of 5/5500 is pretty decent compared to our historical averages and should be our target average to grow the support. I'm pleased the efforts of all those folk out delivering leaflets appears on the face of it to have paid dividends for tonight , it would have been a slap in the face to them if it hadn't. Well done to each and every one of them. 

Problem unfortunately is the old firm and a lot of folk from West of Scotland follow them, paisley bigger size than motherwell and their average not much better

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think your right on this one 4,000/4,500 is our core support . We still should have a PATG option for the floating fans who maybe used to be regulars and fancy going to the game on the day. Without an option we will never know how many could have attended.

51 minutes ago, stv said:

Ha check that out pant wetters

Whose wetting their pants? all I said was if we got 3500/4000 it would be a piss poor turn out and I don't retract on that. Thankfully the efforts of many to improve on the norm has paid off. Others are of course free to disagree with my views whether 3500/4000 home support would have been a good attendance.

We are more than capable of winning this but players have to be in the right frame of mind. Nothing stupid, no silly mistakes, perform individually and as a team unit. Let’s get right into them and and create and score chances so we can enjoy the game. However, I’ll still be happy if we win a nerve jangling tie as long as we win. COYW!!!

• Like 1

Just now, texanwellfan said:

We are more than capable of winning this but players have to be in the right frame of mind. Nothing stupid, no silly mistakes, perform individually and as a team unit. Let’s get right into them and and create and score chances so we can enjoy the game. However, I’ll still be happy if we win a nerve jangling tie as long as we win. COYW!!!

What odds on Moult scoring the winner ?? LOL . We need to be far more aggressive  right from the off than we were against Aberdeen. This is a very evenly balanced contest. Too close to call for me. Thankfully no VAR, think it might go to extra time.

I dont know if I am just getting old and grumpy, but I dont remember the club ever making such a big song and dance over a league cup quarter final before. Feels a bit tin pot, you would be forgiven for thinking its the final the way the club are presenting it. 

2 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

I dont know if I am just getting old and grumpy, but I dont remember the club ever making such a big song and dance over a league cup quarter final before. Feels a bit tin pot, you would be forgiven for thinking its the final the way the club are presenting it. 

For me its what the club needs to do, they need to talk it up to get more bums on seats. Why shouldn't we make a song and dance about it to try and generate excitement and interest. We see enough pedestrian non event shite week in week out lets enjoy it for what they've done and hopefully generate a good atmosphere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

For me its what the club needs to do, they need to talk it up to get more bums on seats. Why shouldn't we make a song and dance about it to try and generate excitement and interest. We see enough pedestrian non event shite week in week out lets enjoy it for what they've done and hopefully generate a good atmosphere.

Yeah thats fair, hadnt really looked at it that way. Just not used to the war drums being played for a LC quarter. 

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Afraid we will just need to agree to differ. Home crowds of 3500/4000 for a team that's been in the top division for 45 years, competing in Europe over 35 times and been to 4 cup finals in the last 25 years is piss poor.

In terms of the local population, Motherwell actually performs quite well regarding attendance.

When you consider our fanbase as a percentage of the population, we achieve around 14%, which is better than the likes of Dundee United, St Mirren, Hibs, Hearts, and Aberdeen. From what I can see, only Kilmarnock and Ross County have better figures.

I’ve excluded the Old Firm from this discussion as their attendances are obviously restricted.

You could certainly argue that our catchment area should encompass regions further afield, but that reasoning would also apply to the other sides mentioned in this context. I’ve restricted all clubs to the city or town in which they are based. If I were to extend Motherwell's catchment to include surrounding towns, I would need to do the same for the others, which I don’t think would result in significantly different percentages.

1 minute ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Yeah thats fair, hadnt really looked at it that way. Just not used to the war drums being players for a LC quarter. 

There is also the point if we have attracted back some who've fallen away and it turns into a rip roaring enjoyable night they will maybe enjoy it enough to come back . Too often when the crowds turn up the team don't and it kills us trying to get fans back. I so hope the team are up for it and don't let us down.

1 minute ago, David said:

In terms of the local population, Motherwell actually performs quite well regarding attendance.

When you consider our fanbase as a percentage of the population, we achieve around 14%, which is better than the likes of Dundee United, St Mirren, Hibs, Hearts, and Aberdeen. From what I can see, only Kilmarnock and Ross County have better figures.

I’ve excluded the Old Firm from this discussion as their attendances are obviously restricted.

You could certainly argue that our catchment area should encompass regions further afield, but that reasoning would also apply to the other sides mentioned in this context. I’ve restricted all clubs to the city or town in which they are based. If I were to extend Motherwell's catchment to include surrounding towns, I would need to do the same for the others, which I don’t think would result in significantly different percentages.

I've done this one to death, time to think of the game. No one will change my mind that normal home support of 3500 / 4000 isn't piss poor. Obviously many of you don't agree, which is fine ...its all about opinions.. It is what it is. Lets think more about the game now and fingers crossed the team turn up and get those who have come out excited..

Just now, FirParkCornerExile said:

I've done this one to death, time to think of the game. No one will change my mind that normal home support of 3500 / 4000 isn't piss poor. Obviously many of you don't agree, which is fine ...its all about opinions.. It is what it is. Lets think more about the game now and fingers crossed the team turn up and get those who have come out excited..

That's totally fine, you can have your opinion. I'm just throwing some actual numbers out there that suggest you're a wee bit wide of the mark.

Carry on though.

9 minutes ago, David said:

That's totally fine, you can have your opinion. I'm just throwing some actual numbers out there that suggest you're a wee bit wide of the mark.

Carry on though.

Oh I'm well aware of the per capita approach. Based on the population of the town / city in which a club operates  only Ross County in the Premier league have a bigger per capita support than us. However that's a paper exercise. Motherwell sit in the central belt where 70% of the population of Scotland resides (I know its heavily favoured by the OF) I just think from what we've done as a club over the years its not unreasonable to expect better by even as little as 500/1000 a week. However the WS society think they can get us there, lets see.

45 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

It's our first home quarter final since 2018 so it's quite a big deal. 

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Oh I'm well aware of the per capita approach. Based on the population of the town / city in which a club operates  only Ross County in the Premier league have a bigger per capita support than us. However that's a paper exercise.

It's a paper exercise based on actual numbers though, which is what attendances are also based on. So it certainly does equate to pretty solid reasoning. 

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Motherwell sit in the central belt where 70% of the population of Scotland resides (I know its heavily favoured by the OF) I just think from what we've done as a club over the years its not unreasonable to expect better by even as little as 500/1000 a week.

The central belt encompasses the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow as well though, doesn't it? Should we be drawing our fanbase from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Falkirk and Paisley? That seems ludicrous to me.

Again, our fanbase as a percentage of our local population is as good an indicator as you're going to get. And we do pretty well in that regard. Is there room for improvement? Always. Are we worse than other clubs in Scotland? Not really. 

14 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

However the WS society think they can get us there, lets see.

The club as a whole needs to (and is) working on increasing our fanbase. Not just the Well Society.

Once again, over the past few days, I've seen responsibility for increasing the fanbase and bringing in significant investment being placed on the table of a group of volunteers who have full-time jobs outside of football. The Society absolutely has a part to play, but so does the paid staff of the football club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, David said:

The club as a whole needs to (and is) working on increasing our fanbase. Not just the Well Society.

Once again, over the past few days, I've seen responsibility for increasing the fanbase and bringing in significant investment being placed on the table of a group of volunteers who have full-time jobs outside of football. The Society absolutely has a part to play, but so does the paid staff of the football club.

Shia Laboeuf Applause.gif