Cup Motherwell v Dundee United 20/09/2024

SteelmaninOZ

55 minutes ago, David said:

In terms of the local population, Motherwell actually performs quite well regarding attendance.

When you consider our fanbase as a percentage of the population, we achieve around 14%, which is better than the likes of Dundee United, St Mirren, Hibs, Hearts, and Aberdeen. From what I can see, only Kilmarnock and Ross County have better figures.

I’ve excluded the Old Firm from this discussion as their attendances are obviously restricted.

You could certainly argue that our catchment area should encompass regions further afield, but that reasoning would also apply to the other sides mentioned in this context. I’ve restricted all clubs to the city or town in which they are based. If I were to extend Motherwell's catchment to include surrounding towns, I would need to do the same for the others, which I don’t think would result in significantly different percentages.h

I totally get your logic David. However, you refer to our percentage as being 14%. What geographic area are you referring to? Scotland’s towns and cities vary considerably in character. Aberdeen, based in a self contained city, for example, draws a large proportion of its fanbase from a huge rural hinterland. East Fife, based in Methil, by comparison, draws its support from an urban area comprising 4 adjacent settlements, that only a local could distinguish.  

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

I totally get your logic David. However, you refer to our percentage as being 14%. What geographic area are you referring to? Scotland’s towns and cities vary considerably in character. Aberdeen, based in a self contained city, for example, draws a large proportion of its fanbase from a huge rural hinterland. East Fife, based in Methil, by comparison, draws its support from an urban area comprising 4 adjacent settlements, that only a local could distinguish.  

As I mentioned, it’s as good an indicator as you’re likely to find. For every ten new factors you add, I could add another twenty. We could start considering the relative wealth per person in Motherwell compared to Aberdeen, or examine the different age groups present in each location, or assess transport links, employment rates, digital engagement, and so forth.

There is no perfect method of measurement, but my overall point is that our fanbase levels are certainly no worse than those of any other team in the league when everything is taken into account.

I certainly wouldn’t describe it as "poor" by any means. Clubs like St Mirren aren't leaving us behind.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A quick check (correct me if I'm wrong @David), 4,500/32,000 (census population of Motherwell) = 14%.

We absolutely should be targeting areas further afield, like the Society (and the Club) have proposed; e.g. outlying towns and villages like Lanark, Law, Hamilton, Strathaven etc.

Campaigns like the one for tonight, I imagine, are only the beginning.

I think it's fair to say that these efforts should absolutely be applauded and if this is the kind of work we're going to be seeing moving forward, it's an indicator of how seriously things are being taken to increase ticket sales.

Especially when you consider that an increase in crowds doesn't provide an increase in revenue from pie stalls, merchandise etc. as the terms of those deals aren't in favour of the Club right now. Others can correct me, but I think the Club have made money on shirt sales on maybe one occasion in the last 10-15 years? Pie stalls are a flat fee per game/season and then the rest goes to the franchise who runs them.

As others have said, time will tell, but this is a promising start.

• Like 1

Really looking forward to this now.

Really pleased the efforts of the Well Society and the Club have payed off and it looks like we are gonna have a healthy attendance for what is actually quite a big game for us.

As Steelboy points out we havent had a home quarter final since 2018, so they are not things that come around all the time.

Since the 2 cup finals, our cup record has been pretty poor. It would be nice to rectify that tonight and get the win that takes us back to Hampden.

Its a lovely night for a game under the lights. Lets get right behind the team from the off!

Up The 'Well! 🧡❤️🧡

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

What odds on Moult scoring the winner ?? LOL . We need to be far more aggressive  right from the off than we were against Aberdeen. This is a very evenly balanced contest. Too close to call for me. Thankfully no VAR, think it might go to extra time.

No VAR in any of the league cup games? 

7 minutes ago, David said:

No one's stopping you? 

Hold on while I go looking for my nose!

I just meant everyone is going about crowd attendances etc etc and we are just under 3 hours away from our biggest cup game in 6 years.

Here goes. Moses to start with Maswanhise would be my preference but no doubt will be Robinson lone striker which would be wrong move

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I just meant everyone is going about crowd attendances etc etc and we are just under 3 hours away from our biggest cup game in 6 years.

Yup, and that's what some people like to discuss mere hours ahead of a big cup game. Go figure. 

8 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Here goes. Moses to start with Maswanhise would be my preference but no doubt will be Robinson lone striker which would be wrong move

Maswa would start for me, and patience is running thin with Robinson. I know we don't have many options up top though, so that plays a part.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Hold on while I go looking for my nose!

Much as I love Moses and believe he deserves a start, Im not sure tonight is the place to try it out.

Robinson does a lit of running and occupies defenders in a way I dont think Moses could. But for me, that means we should change our shape.

Obviously notnhappening tonight, so will be happy if Miller is dropped back to his natural position and Vale pushed much closer to Robinson to give him some support. Not fussed whether its Tavares or Maswanhise on the other side. They are an obvious swap after 60 mins either way.

5 minutes ago, Richie said:

I think there is VAR in ours and another game, but 2 don't have it.

Quite a weird situation in terms of balance.

I read it the other way around.

Celtic and Rangers games have it.

Ours and Aberdeens dont.

https://www.aberdeenlive.news/sport/football/aberdeen-ditch-var-spartans-clash-9569061

I know all teams will say the same bit it always feels that any time we get a big crowd and build up we always seem to mess it up, although I know there have been games when we have got big results. 

Here's hoping the lads can put in memorable performance and a man of match Andy Halliday performance 🤪 COYW

4 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Whose wetting their pants? all I said was if we got 3500/4000 it would be a piss poor turn out and I don't retract on that. Thankfully the efforts of many to improve on the norm has paid off. Others are of course free to disagree with my views whether 3500/4000 home support would have been a good attendance.

Deleted post st andrew beat me to it

Robinson does a lot of stuff that doesn't get noticed and doesn't show up in stats.  

I'd like to see Ebiye feature as a starter but we need to find a system and that means experimentation which loads of people on here would probably complain about if it didn't work out like in the Ross County match.